Perlman to Step Down

The thing is, we have very little insight into the vast majority of Perlman's responsibilities. He runs the whole university. Athletics is a tiny, but important, part of his job. And it's something he largely delegates. I think Perlman did well in hiring Eichorst. (/JMHO) As near as I can tell UNL, as a whole, is doing better now than 15 years ago when Perlman took over. Enrollment is up. The university's image seems headed in the right direction. I don't understand all the hate. :dunno

From a strictly Football fan standpoint, have you ever read "Death to the BCS"?

Ha ha! No, can't say that I have. btw, I may have been the only man in America that actually liked the BCS. I thought it was better than what we had before, which seldom matched up #1 vs. #2. That said, after this first year I like the four team playoff format even better.

• Fire 1

It was better than what we had before for the lone reason it pitted top two against each other. Even though it is gone, I suggest anyone who hasn't read it to do so.

You get a few chapters in and you're like "No mention of my Huskers yet..."

Then boom, "Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman...."

It kinda explains the disdain for the dude.

It was better than what we had before for the lone reason it pitted top two against each other. Even though it is gone, I suggest anyone who hasn't read it to do so.

You get a few chapters in and you're like "No mention of my Huskers yet..."

Then boom, "Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman...."

It kinda explains the disdain for the dude.

Chatelain wondered how much of Perlman's stance on the BCS was driven by the views of Delany and the fact that NU was just accepted into the Big Ten. Perlman might have been following the "conference line" and didn't want to ruffle any feathers with the new conference members. Remember that the Big Ten was all about preserving the Rose Bowl, and that game was more important than any National Championship. I know it's delusional, but that's the conference NU joined. Things might be changing with Urban Meyer joining the conference and him wanting the league to take on more of a national point of view.

• Fire 1

Read the book. It'll make you hate anyone who helped keep that corrupt, backstabbing, greedy system in place for 13 years. Sincerely will make you angry we ever played a bowl game during this time.

As a person and a chancellor I'm sure Harvey is a good dude. But make no mistake, Harvey knew what was best for Harvey and his friends.

• Fire 1

The thing is, we have very little insight into the vast majority of Perlman's responsibilities. He runs the whole university. Athletics is a tiny, but important, part of his job. And it's something he largely delegates. I think Perlman did well in hiring Eichorst. (/JMHO) As near as I can tell UNL, as a whole, is doing better now than 15 years ago when Perlman took over. Enrollment is up. The university's image seems headed in the right direction. I don't understand all the hate. :dunno

Agreed. I think he's done a good/great job overall. You hear rumors about a ego battle with Osborne...or that he was no fan of Pelini. But there's no doubt in my mind that Riley is a significant upgrade over Pelini and that both the football program and the university are on an upward swing.

• Fire 1

UNL got removed from the AAU under Perlman's watch and that is a colossal mark against him in my opinion. I don't have much insight into what he did for UNL, but I get the impression that UNL is lagging significantly behind its Big Ten peers academically and Perlman wasn't doing enough to change that.

Jim Tressel shouldn't be president at Youngstown State. He doesn't even have a doctorate. I have never heard of a university president with fewer qualifications than he has. There are probably posters on this board more qualified for that job than he is.

• Fire 1

UNL got removed from the AAU under Perlman's watch and that is a colossal mark against him in my opinion. I don't have much insight into what he did for UNL, but I get the impression that UNL is lagging significantly behind its Big Ten peers academically and Perlman wasn't doing enough to change that.

Jim Tressel shouldn't be president at Youngstown State. He doesn't even have a doctorate. I have never heard of a university president with fewer qualifications than he has. There are probably posters on this board more qualified for that job than he is.

Maybe do some research in why we were removed from the AAU.