Post spring game QB depth chart

Sympathy or not, i'd feel worse for the guys on offense and defense who work their butts off but aren't winning games because the best man for the job is on the sideline.

So which guys returning from last season under the previous staff will be on the sideline this season under the new staff?

As many are here I am also in the small sample size and also different qualities of defense at any given time but I guess I'm not far out on a limb in saying. I think Armstrong looked OK pretty much solid but he did not blow my mind. AJ Bush, I like his skill set and I will assume that he may be a bit better that what we saw in the game base on practice reports but he needs to improve a great deal this summer. Darlighton I really like he looks to me like the guy I would want as the number 2 QB getting reps behind TA if we had a game this week. He looks like a smart savvy QB and if he only weakness is developing the deep ball I will take that if he can tear it up with throws under 40 yards, that skill set can set up a strong running game. I guess we shall see.

Riley has already said several times that he likes to stretch the field vertically which is the weak part of Darlington's game but you don't have to be able to throw it 70 yards to stretch the field. If you can put it on the money at 40, that'll do.

It's yet to be seen if we have the personnel on the receiving end of those long balls to even make that a point that matters in our quarterbacks.

who knows about 14 scrimmage grades but after Spring Game depth chart .....

1. Darlington

2. Zack

3. ZD

4. Armstrong

5. Brock

6. Bush

7. Fyfe

7. Stanton (tied)

Johnny Football was the MOST disappointment. Anyway, keep in mind only Spring Game. I remember 5-7 years ago or so, my co-MVP in spring game was a WR guy. I forgot his name. He eventually demote to scout team. Probably transferred or quit :confucius .

Finally got a chance to *really* watch the game.

If saunders is conducting the Darlington train, I'm definitely on board. I know, I know. It's a very small sample size. But it's the only thing we fans have seen. We got basically the same thing out of TA that we've seen for the past two years - 50% completions, some good plays and some bad throws. The only thing we have for Darlington is to assume that he can play at a similar level to what we saw Saturday.

Darlington is smooth and skilled. Easily had the best completion percentage at 7 for 11. But two of those incompletions were drops - including one that would have been a touchdown - and he got his arm hit on a third. So he really only mis-fired on one throw - and that was a play where he had to scramble, direct traffic and just overthrew Turner going to the corner. In addition, not only was he completing passes, but he was getting to guys in stride where they could run with it. Hit Turner on a nice crossing route early that Turner was able to turn into a really good gain because he caught it full speed and kept going. Also, is easily doing the best job of checking through his progression and finding the open guy.

As Benning said, best mechanics and probably best football IQ. Also, Darlington said his goal for the spring was to work his way into contention, which he's obviously done. Now he said his goal for the summer is to win the respect of his teammates - in that he needs to convince them he can do the job. Like the attitude and the outlook.

Biggest hurdles for him are overcoming two guys with more physical abilities including one (TA) who seems to have the backing of the team (rightfully so). Riley has already said several times that he likes to stretch the field vertically which is the weak part of Darlington's game but you don't have to be able to throw it 70 yards to stretch the field. If you can put it on the money at 40, that'll do.

Give me the guy who can consistently get the ball to Westerkamp, DPE, Carter, Newby, etc. and let them make the plays.

I agree with everything in this post.

Tommy looked like the same Tommy we've seen the past 2 years.

On Saturday, ZD looked like a guy who can be good QB.

Finally got a chance to *really* watch the game.

If saunders is conducting the Darlington train, I'm definitely on board. I know, I know. It's a very small sample size. But it's the only thing we fans have seen. We got basically the same thing out of TA that we've seen for the past two years - 50% completions, some good plays and some bad throws. The only thing we have for Darlington is to assume that he can play at a similar level to what we saw Saturday.

Darlington is smooth and skilled. Easily had the best completion percentage at 7 for 11. But two of those incompletions were drops - including one that would have been a touchdown - and he got his arm hit on a third. So he really only mis-fired on one throw - and that was a play where he had to scramble, direct traffic and just overthrew Turner going to the corner. In addition, not only was he completing passes, but he was getting to guys in stride where they could run with it. Hit Turner on a nice crossing route early that Turner was able to turn into a really good gain because he caught it full speed and kept going. Also, is easily doing the best job of checking through his progression and finding the open guy.

As Benning said, best mechanics and probably best football IQ. Also, Darlington said his goal for the spring was to work his way into contention, which he's obviously done. Now he said his goal for the summer is to win the respect of his teammates - in that he needs to convince them he can do the job. Like the attitude and the outlook.

Biggest hurdles for him are overcoming two guys with more physical abilities including one (TA) who seems to have the backing of the team (rightfully so). Riley has already said several times that he likes to stretch the field vertically which is the weak part of Darlington's game but you don't have to be able to throw it 70 yards to stretch the field. If you can put it on the money at 40, that'll do.

Give me the guy who can consistently get the ball to Westerkamp, DPE, Carter, Newby, etc. and let them make the plays.

Youre right, he should have been 9-11 or even 10-11 and the receivers didn't have to make great catches, the balls he threw were in stride

He throws a very catchable balls- long, medium or short. Receivers love that touch.

Zack will gain the respect of his teammates

Amazing kid, well liked and respected by everyone

Father is legendary coach, known on the national level- clinic circuit

Very close knit family, looks like dad, lots of dad in him- on field coach and motivator

Well grounded, humble, spiritual kid- he's a keeper. He's not going to crumble in big games

When he was an undersized Freshman in HS his teammates adopted him, they were all on his side when he got a few varsity snaps, ran the ball well

His Soph year he worked his way into a leadership role in a storied program. More of a runner then than passer- his team put up some incredible rushing numbers. IIRK he played both the QB and Spinning Fullback spots in the Apopka Single Wing offense.

His Junior year he was the leader and he lead his team to the 8A Florida state title- largest class- big boy football. Apopka attended several Nebraska practices and the clinic Bo put on in Florida and adopted some of NUs power read and sweep read concepts. They became more of a spread team.

His Senior year- out with a concussion but still the leader of the team- lost in State Finals

Pro style offense is a lot about delivering the ball on rhythm- timing

Big arms are good, but understanding the offense, getting the ball out on rhythm is huge

So is pocket presence, not wild scrambles. Maybe moving to Pro style was the best thing for this guy.

Kid squares his shoulders up really well, nice footwork, great follow through, he's very coachable

His feet are underrated, he sees the field well, has good speed and body control. He's not going to score from 60, but he is very mobile- what I like to call smart mobile, running when the payoff is there, not forcing the run or the pass.

• Fire 3

Darlington played well, but he missed throws too. And remember, he is going against the White team defense here. His stock is certainly rising and he looks much more lik a QB with his going through progressions than any of our other guys.

However, going through a couple progressions is not some kind of rare superpower. Let's be honest -- Darlington is probably in a similar boat as many, many other freshman QBs around the country. If he is thrown into the fire as a starter, he will probably play like one. So Tommy should still be the favorite.

Thinking about it that way, I'm worried about the offense this year. I think between ZD and Fyfe (if he stays?) and of course TA, we'll have guys who can run it at an inconsistent, "shows some flashes" kind of level, which obviously doesn't bode too well for our overall prospects. But if we want to project to the future, you hope that all of these guys will get a chance to improve in leaps and bounds with coaching. And of course, keep an eye on '16 QB recruiting.

Darlington indeed missed one throw when he scrambled and missed Turner. That leaves 3 other incompletions. One where he was hit during his release and two drops. He was 7/11 and 1 TD. If the receivers don't have the drops, then he would've gone 9/11 with 2 TDs. Both of them should've been catches and McKitt would've walked into the end zone. His lone actual miss was one I'm sure he'd like to have back. The thing that stuck out to me was how relaxed he looked. Didn't seem like a freshman.

Riley has already said several times that he likes to stretch the field vertically which is the weak part of Darlington's game but you don't have to be able to throw it 70 yards to stretch the field. If you can put it on the money at 40, that'll do.

It's yet to be seen if we have the personnel on the receiving end of those long balls to even make that a point that matters in our quarterbacks.

And, it's yet to be seen whether Darlington can throw the deep ball. He wasn't called on to do it on Saturday. People seem to accept the "deep ball weakness" and "less athletic" stuff as fact. That sounds more like people simply repeating the TV announcers. We haven't seen what he can or can't do in these areas.