Was Banderas the best defensive player on the field yesterday?

I'm probably just reaching for optimism here, but didn't anyone see the play where Bando was chasing a guy down the NorthWest sideline and the guy tried to give him a stiff arm? In the past it seems like Bando woulda went in there tentatively and probably rode the stiff arm out of bounds after 5 yards...this time he came in fast and smacked the stiff arm down and threw the guy down. It's almost like he realized he is one of the most physically gifted dudes on the field at any time, maybe it's just the confidence the article talks about.

Happened right in front of us. This was before I realized Gerry wasnt playing and that Bando flipped his numbers. I thought it was Gerry. Which was really an eye opener.

Personally, I think we see this transformation more now than we used to due to players playing so early in their careers.

In the 80s and 90s, very very seldom did you see a true freshman on the field on Saturday. Heck, at one time, they weren't even allowed to.

So, that tentative play and learning how to be aggressive was being done on the practice field or on in Freshman games. By the time the kid got to Saturday, he was well seasoned and knew how to be aggressive and what his capabilities are.

Yes, the change of schemes and coaches probably helped him a great deal. But, getting a little older and more experienced helped too.

The number change got me at first also. Benning said something about Bando maybe sticking with 25, wouldn't he have to get Gerry to agree to switch also? Has Gerry switched already?

Gerry has still be wearing 25 in the pics from practice. But he could be looking to switch. As teach said, he'd have to switch for Bando to get 25.

It almost seems like I remember Gerry tweeting something about possibly switching back to his old HS number - #5, iirc - but I can't find it now. But that would mean Young would have to switch as well.

I love and hope to see Gangwish on the field alot making plays. Dont know how much it will happen but the dude brings the fire.

Mosley was pretty decent in my opinion. I was hoping to see the Davis twins but they arent there yet correct.

They were there... as guests. They aren't enrolled yet.

I love and hope to see Gangwish on the field alot making plays. Dont know how much it will happen but the dude brings the fire.

Mosley was pretty decent in my opinion. I was hoping to see the Davis twins but they arent there yet correct.

He will be on the field. The kid doesn't know how to NOT succeed.

I just (for some reason) read the article linked above. We are all burying the lead:

By my unofficial count during post-practice interviews, Banderas also led all Huskers in most-continuous smile and biggest grin. In recent times, he wouldn’t even have been an also-ran in happiness.

Why?

Frankly, Banderas got jerked around his first two years at Nebraska.

As a true freshman, he started three nonconference games, then didn’t get another nod until the final regular-season game against Iowa. Last season, he started five of the first six games, then didn’t get the job back until the Holiday Bowl, where he had a career-high 14 tackles against USC.

Uncertainty over the definition of his role and week-to-week defensive changes had this Husker legacy player — his dad, Tom, was a starting tight end in the late 1980s — thinking the unthinkable.

Transferring.

“I don’t know how things would have played out in the spring,” Banderas said. “I couldn’t tell you for sure.”

The firing of Bo Pelini and his staff drastically reduced the stress level in the Banderas household.

Imagine the LB depth if he had left?