Looks like the strength coach is pushing the players hard

The part I like that has been mentioned is that the players were able to give input on how much they were ready to lift. I'm not a big lifter but I would think that would be much more advantageous than a coach simply calculating it and giving you a sheet of paper telling you how much you are supposed to lift. Obviously, there would need to be good supervision to make sure some meat head isn't doing something he shouldn't. But, the personal input is important.

I thought that part was good as well. I like the notion of training to your potential every day. Some days you don't have it, some days you do. Trouble can be if you don't have a lot of experience you don't really know the difference.

• Fire 1

This is a good post, but the interview that topic linked to was all Dobson quotes. We have quotes from players saying they have had big increases in their lifts. Although, maybe those would have happened anyway seeing as they're 20 year olds.

You know, that's a great point. If these kids are exposed to any program that's half right they'll make gains.. Their hormonal milieu is ripe for it.

I don't know whether to roll my eyes or be turned on.

It's true. It's science man, science.

Woman.......woman.....

This is a good post, but the interview that topic linked to was all Dobson quotes. We have quotes from players saying they have had big increases in their lifts. Although, maybe those would have happened anyway seeing as they're 20 year olds.

You know, that's a great point. If these kids are exposed to any program that's half right they'll make gains.. Their hormonal milieu is ripe for it.

I don't know whether to roll my eyes or be turned on.

Might as well be turned on....rolling your eyes isn't going to do anybody any good.

There are lots of theories on lifting. We have seen many of them over the last 10-15 years go through Nebraska. Some people claim simple lifts like bench, squats, power cleans....etc is what you need to key on.

I think in the 80s Nebraska started actually designing lifting stations that resembled actual moves football players made. Some claimed that was a huge development. I even think our HS uses some of those types of machines now and we are known for having one of the nicest HS weight rooms in the state.

The part I like that has been mentioned is that the players were able to give input on how much they were ready to lift. I'm not a big lifter but I would think that would be much more advantageous than a coach simply calculating it and giving you a sheet of paper telling you how much you are supposed to lift. Obviously, there would need to be good supervision to make sure some meat head isn't doing something he shouldn't. But, the personal input is important.

I have set weight limits on the program I use. They are percentages based of my 1 rep training max but I do a serious of different reps with the weight.. I don't have an issue with using set weight limits as long as they are increased every couple weeks or every month.

It also isn't bad to really push yourself and lift what you think you can lift, as long as your safe and smart about it.

There are lots of theories on lifting. We have seen many of them over the last 10-15 years go through Nebraska. Some people claim simple lifts like bench, squats, power cleans....etc is what you need to key on.

I think in the 80s Nebraska started actually designing lifting stations that resembled actual moves football players made. Some claimed that was a huge development. I even think our HS uses some of those types of machines now and we are known for having one of the nicest HS weight rooms in the state.

I have set weight limits on the program I use. They are percentages based of my 1 rep training max but I do a serious of different reps with the weight.. I don't have an issue with using set weight limits as long as they are increased every couple weeks or every month.

It also isn't bad to really push yourself and lift what you think you can lift, as long as your safe and smart about it.

The problem can be with the first idea is some guys gain faster than others. If everyone is going off of some calculation, some guys aren't going to gain as fast as they could.

The problem can be with the first idea is some guys gain faster than others. If everyone is going off of some calculation, some guys aren't going to gain as fast as they could.

Each player would have their own weight limits based off their 1 RM. They aren't off some sheet that someone gives them saying do this weight. The point of the program is to increase your weight slowly so you don't wear out and cause yourself injuries.

Each player would have their own weight limits based off their 1 RM. They aren't off some sheet that someone gives them saying do this weight. The point of the program is to increase your weight slowly so you don't wear out and cause yourself injuries.

Understand.

We have a very good weight coach/program in our HS for the size of school we are. But, my son comes home sometimes from lifting and it's like it was no big deal. Heck, one time he got done in about 20 minutes. When i questioned him about it, he said...I did what I was supposed to do.

Well, that's telling me that he could have done more that day. But, he was given this sheet of paper that told him what to do and he did it. I think he could have gained more if he was taught how to give input and motivated to push himself.

But, I know I wasn't there and it could be different than my impressions.

Understand.

We have a very good weight coach/program in our HS for the size of school we are. But, my son comes home sometimes from lifting and it's like it was no big deal. Heck, one time he got done in about 20 minutes. When i questioned him about it, he said...I did what I was supposed to do.

Well, that's telling me that he could have done more that day. But, he was given this sheet of paper that told him what to do and he did it. I think he could have gained more if he was taught how to give input and motivated to push himself.

I agree on the pushing yourself. I hope your son's coach isn't telling him how much to lift based off of nothing. That would be a shame and worthless for your son. I have my oldest do the same workout program I do but his numbers are based off of what his 1 rep max is for bench, squat, deadlift and OHP. We went in and I had him lift till he got his 1 RM and then I based his program off those numbers.

You sound like s super involved parent...are you at a private school?

Also, I think that Stanford Football does not squat or bench.

Understand.

Thank you! Knapp you nailed it...this is as time as old as girls liking the bad boy and ignoring the nice guy.

The SC is not changing that much, all those ideas are shared like crazy...is is, for the most part, the players you bring in. We all have that friend that added 10 pounds to he bench each month...we all that that friend that looked like the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz.

Hell, Stanford doesn't even have their football team do bench presses!