Another Husker problem with weed?

Seems way overbearing for the NCAA or The NFL to have a say in NON performance enhancing substance use...I can see it being a team rule...Smoking of any kind would probably harm your performance..I guess in the case of pot, the benefits outweigh the harm.

Back in the late '70s there was an undefeated defending state champion high school wrestler from Cozad? that wouldn't even drink carbonated beverages...I thought he was crazy...Turns out...they really ARE bad for you...

But whether or not some arbitrary Law declares something illegal ...should employers or the NCAA have any authority in enforcing these laws?

My own company is thinking about making my place of employment a "Smoke Free place"...Which on one hand, I enjoy the thought of not having to smell third hand reek, but on the other, fearful of losing more of our freedoms.

Suspensions to Oregon players bring NCAA marijuana policy into question

“As a society we’re all dealing with these changes.” Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens told SI.com. “Federal law is still there. NCAA rules still govern. We have institutional policies and departmental policies as well. But there’s an interesting sociological element to all this.”....
The easiest way to quantify how strict the NCAA’s threshold is: Compare it to the threshold from other sports. The NFL increased its minimum threshold from 15 nanograms to 35 in September. The MLB's minimum is 50 nanograms, the same level as airline pilots. The World Anti-Doping Agency set its minimum at 150 nanograms, a level at which an expert contacted by USA Today was quoted as saying, “[one has to be a] pretty dedicated cannabis consumer” to test positive.

UNL has done a very good job trying to instill better eating and nutrition habits into its players.

But when you hear nutritionists talking about the football players, they just shake their heads. Left to their own devices, young football players would eat nothing but meat, potatoes and sugar in mass quantities. And beer. They are already huge, often oversized, and building bodies that will not make physiological sense in a few years when they stop playing football.

Combined with the violence of the game itself, they are doing multiple things that will shave years off their life-expectancy. Marijuana pales as a health issue.

But it's impossible for a public university not to make marijuana against team rules as long as it's illegal and a potential impairment to judgement. It's just tough to see an entire career go up in smoke when that joint may be less dangerous than that plate of fried chicken, or God forbid, the legal pain-killers and mood management pharmacueticals that are all over the place.

Seems way overbearing for the NCAA or The NFL to have a say in NON performance enhancing substance use...I can see it being a team rule...Smoking of any kind would probably harm your performance..I guess in the case of pot, the benefits outweigh the harm.

Back in the late '70s there was an undefeated defending state champion high school wrestler from Cozad? that wouldn't even drink carbonated beverages...I thought he was crazy...Turns out...they really ARE bad for you...

But whether or not some arbitrary Law declares something illegal ...should employers or the NCAA have any authority in enforcing these laws?

My own company is thinking about making my place of employment a "Smoke Free place"...Which on one hand, I enjoy the thought of not having to smell third hand reek, but on the other, fearful of losing more of our freedoms.

Suspensions to Oregon players bring NCAA marijuana policy into question

“As a society we’re all dealing with these changes.” Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens told SI.com. “Federal law is still there. NCAA rules still govern. We have institutional policies and departmental policies as well. But there’s an interesting sociological element to all this.”....
The easiest way to quantify how strict the NCAA’s threshold is: Compare it to the threshold from other sports. The NFL increased its minimum threshold from 15 nanograms to 35 in September. The MLB's minimum is 50 nanograms, the same level as airline pilots. The World Anti-Doping Agency set its minimum at 150 nanograms, a level at which an expert contacted by USA Today was quoted as saying, “[one has to be a] pretty dedicated cannabis consumer” to test positive.

I have no problem with employers saying if you work for their company, you won't smoke pot or tobacco.

UNL has done a very good job trying to instill better eating and nutrition habits into its players.

But when you hear nutritionists talking about the football players, they just shake their heads. Left to their own devices, young football players would eat nothing but meat, potatoes and sugar in mass quantities. And beer. They are already huge, often oversized, and building bodies that will not make physiological sense in a few years when they stop playing football.

Combined with the violence of the game itself, they are doing multiple things that will shave years off their life-expectancy. Marijuana pales as a health issue.

But it's impossible for a public university not to make marijuana against team rules as long as it's illegal and a potential impairment to judgement. It's just tough to see an entire career go up in smoke when that joint may be less dangerous than that plate of fried chicken, or God forbid, the legal pain-killers and mood management pharmacueticals that are all over the place.

I think you could say that about linemen. However, at least it used to be, players had their nutrition tailored to the type of player and body they are. If you're a lineman trying to build as much muscle mass as possible, you are going to have a different nutritional guide line than someone like Kenny Bell who is trying to be as fast as possible.

So pot is a gateway drug...to fraud?

Naw. Gateway to bike theft.

Ha! Nice!

I don't remember a lot of pot in the dorms but there sure could have been. I do remember that on Fridays you could basically hear everyone backpack making clanging sounds while filled with beer cans and bottles as they brought in the fun-juice.

I was in the dorms 77 and 78. You could hardly get on an elevator that didn't reek. I have it on a reliable source that 11th Floor Abel hall had a BAT committee that organized BATs across the campus and at various off site locations.

I am of the understanding (a "friend" told me) that BAT stands for "Bong-a-Thon"

All just hearsay of course. And I played pool with a rather well know tight end that always had blood shot eyes. I think he must have worked night shifts of something. :-)

I was in Abel 6 in '79-80..

Never smelled the stuff once..but then it was considered an "Engineering floor" at the time with shorter visiting hours...I don't even remember anyone smoking tobacco unless you were really drunk at the bars..

We were not considered an Engineering Floor on 11th. More of a 'you know better than to go wandering around up there' floor..heh heh. And the "Hip to Be Square" movement was making our crowd endangered for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought "damn, another one got busted?" when they saw the thread get bumped to the top.

Good to see its only about Boaz.

I didnt see this last time...

All new to me.

I was going to pay more attention to huskerboard, but then i got high....

I was going to post some cool threads, but then i gotttt higgh...

I was going to post some more memes, but then i gottt high... hey-hey-because i got high.. because i got high.. because i got high..

• Fire 2