Maliek Collins Projected 2016 First-Round Pick by Todd McShay

2015 Contract info... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

He needs to decide how likely it is he can move up a round by staying. If he can move into the 1st or 2nd round by staying, he should stay. Note the huge drops in guaranteed money for last the picks of rounds 1 and 2 and the first picks in rounds 2 and 3. The money differential between pick 32 and pick 65 is massive.

I agree that there is a pretty big difference in rounds 1, 2, and 3.

However, if Collins has a good first 3 years, he will be able to sign a big 2nd contract and make huge money. He would also be getting that 2nd contract a year earlier than he would if he stayed at NU for his senior year. I think that's the point people are missing with guys coming out of college. Basically, Collins would be making a bet on himself to progress and get better. I think a guy progresses more with a year in the NFL, where his only job is football, instead of doing it part-time in college.

Agreed.

After watching him walk off the field by himself 10 minutes before his team after the MSU win, I concluded this would be his last year.

Ya. 'Cause having a different way of celebrating a win means he's not a team player and wants to leave.

I once had a coach get mad at me because I didn't cheer after I scored a goal. Not displays emotion outwardly.

For any of you guys....would you want your NFL team to use a 1st rounder on Maliek? Not sure I would

I would take him in a second. He is super hard working, has great quickness, and the d-line position is so important in the NFL.

It also depends where my team had their draft pick in the first round. I think Collins has good value in the 20-40 range.

I know he was double teamed most of the year and didn't get any help from his ends. For a DT to go in the first round he has to absolutely be dominant at the college level and you just didn't see that out of him this year.

I don't quite agree with you here Waterloo. I was actually curious about this myself so I took a look at the last 5 NFL drafts where DTs were taken where taken in the mid to late 1st round (pick #16 and back) I think the results will surprise you a little bit.

2015 Draft:

#32 pick--Malcom Brown (Texas) drafted by NE

2014 Draft:

#29 pick--Dominique Easley (Florida) drafted by NE

2013 Draft:

#23 pick--Shariff Floyd (Florida) drafted by Min

#29 pick--Sylvester Williams (UNC) drafted by Den

2012 Draft:

No DTs taken in the mid to late 1st round

2011 Draft:

#18 pick--Corey Liuget (Illinois) drafted by SD

#21 pick--Phil Taylor (Baylor) drafted by Cle

2010 Draft:

#26 pick--Dan Williams (Tennessee) drafted by AZ

#28 pick--Jared Odrick (Penn St) drafted by Mia

I think you could argue that Collins stacks up pretty well against all of these guys with the exception of Floyd, who dropped a lot because of a positive drug test, Brown who was a consensus AA and Nagurski finalist and Odrick who was a consensus AA, Big Ten defensive POY and a bunch of other awards. It will all depend who is drafting late in the 1st round. As a Seahawks fan, I would have little issue with them taking Collins in the 1st round.

After watching him walk off the field by himself 10 minutes before his team after the MSU win, I concluded this would be his last year.

Ya. 'Cause having a different way of celebrating a win means he's not a team player and wants to leave.

I once had a coach get mad at me because I didn't cheer after I scored a goal. Not displays emotion outwardly.

I didn't take gobigger's post in a manner that he said Maliek didn't want to be part of the team. I took it as Maliek was soaking in the amazing atmosphere in Memorial Stadium one final time and he wanted to take his time before going into the locker room.

I would like to have Collins and Valentine stay for their senior years. Its selfish because I would like to see the Huskers recover to being one of the best teams in the country. Collins and Valentine are two big building blocks.

I think they should stay also to get their degrees. Football can pay a lot but they could also be out with a knee injury. Its a gamble between a long term career education and a short term high paying game. Most NFL players play for the minimum and are out of teh pros in about 3 years.

I didn't take gobigger's post in a manner that he said Maliek didn't want to be part of the team. I took it as Maliek was soaking in the amazing atmosphere in Memorial Stadium one final time and he wanted to take his time before going into the locker room.

K. But I saw a few people complaining about this after the MSU game and they meant it the way I said it.

K. But I saw a few people complaining about this after the MSU game and they meant it the way I said it.

That's just crazy to me.

I would like to have Collins and Valentine stay for their senior years. Its selfish because I would like to see the Huskers recover to being one of the best teams in the country. Collins and Valentine are two big building blocks.

I think they should stay also to get their degrees. Football can pay a lot but they could also be out with a knee injury. Its a gamble between a long term career education and a short term high paying game. Most NFL players play for the minimum and are out of teh pros in about 3 years.

People go to college in order to get better jobs. Collins and Valentine would have about as good as jobs as a person can have coming out of college. I would imagine they are pretty close to getting their degrees (they may even be graduating this Saturday), which they could always complete in the NFL offseason or after their NFL careers are over. If they are ready to move on from UNL, I would respect their decisions and wish them great luck.

Just my opinion. Great story about you scoring.

Just my opinion. Great story about you scoring.

Wasn't supposed to be a great story. It's just something I thought of every time Martinez was bashed for being anti social and thought of it again when this stupid stuff about Collins leaving the field early came up. Not everyone celebrates the same way. It could be he was overcome with emotion and wanted to be alone for a bit and celebrate in private with his teammates when they came in.