RB Aphonso Thomas [SMU - Signed LOI]

I couldn't even find this guy on Rivals official site, but jeez, I sure do hope we can pull him away from KU, TX St, or CSU eyeswear2allthatsholy . This could be Riley's 2nd 2* RB to date, if he signs that is. Ok, well, I guess Ozigbo got the NU bump to 3* since he signed, but he was 2* before that with a plethora of offers from 2nd tier schools. Both RBs come in at a 'blazing' 4.7-ish in the 40, woohooo!

We're kinda used to high 3* or 4*(Castille, Helu, Burkhead, Ameer, T Newby, A Taylor, M Wilbon) or the occasional 5*(Aaron Green) 'round here @ 'RB U', Riley knows that, right?

Is it just me, or is Riley taking his reputation as a developer of 'project players' a bit too seriously?

I couldn't even find this guy on Rivals official site, but jeez, I sure do hope we can pull him away from KU, TX St, or CSU eyeswear2allthatsholy . This could be Riley's 2nd 2* RB to date, if he signs that is. Ok, well, I guess Ozigbo got the NU bump to 3* since he signed, but he was 2* before that with a plethora of offers from 2nd tier schools. Both RBs come in at a 'blazing' 4.7-ish in the 40, woohooo!

We're kinda used to high 3* or 4*(Castille, Helu, Burkhead, Ameer, T Newby, A Taylor, M Wilbon) or the occasional 5*(Aaron Green) 'round here @ 'RB U', Riley knows that, right?

Is it just me, or is Riley taking his reputation as a developer of 'project players' a bit too seriously?

2 star only means that he has not been evaluated. More often, these kids get recruited by a bigger school and get bumped to a 3. I think Callahan & Bo recruited based on the stars, where Riley looks for talent that will fit his system. Moreover, Riley needs to prove he can win before these higher star players commit. Most of these kids were not even born when the Huskers were really good.

2 star only means that he has not been evaluated. More often, these kids get recruited by a bigger school and get bumped to a 3. I think Callahan & Bo recruited based on the stars, where Riley looks for talent that will fit his system. Moreover, Riley needs to prove he can win before these higher star players commit. Most of these kids were not even born when the Huskers were really good.

If 4.7 40s 'fit his system', I'm worried. Lack of evaluation kind of worries me too.

Maybe the 'resource' thing hasn't quite set into to Riley's mindset yet.

If 4.7 40s 'fit his system', I'm worried. Lack of evaluation kind of worries me too.

Really!! An average 40 for high school kids is 4.7. We do not know if this elec. or manual, as manual times are far from correct. These kids can and most likely will get faster. He might be at 4.6 or 4.5 by the time he goes to college. There is a lot more than just speed in a good running back: vision, agility, power, blocking & receiving for a few. I agree this kid does not look good on paper, but I trust this coaching staff. Has Riley shown he is not capable of recruiting at NE?

Really!! An average 40 for high school kids is 4.7. We do not know if this elec. or manual, as manual times are far from correct. These kids can and most likely will get faster. He might be at 4.6 or 4.5 by the time he goes to college. There is a lot more than just speed in a good running back: vision, agility, power, blocking & receiving for a few. I agree this kid does not look good on paper, but I trust this coaching staff. Has Riley shown he is not capable of recruiting at NE?

4.7 is slow for an RB, especially for one who weighs only 190 lbs. So, if I am A Thomas, I wouldn't put that on my resume if it's not his true speed. If it is, well, it's slow.

I guess we don't have much of a sample size of Riley's recruiting @ NU. Most of what I'm seeing so far is fairly underwhelming w alot of 'spin' from fans, so I should probably just stay away from the subject until something 'wows' me.

He did score that 4* DT out of Okie, so I'll give him that much.

• Fire 1

4.7 is slow for an RB, especially for one who weighs only 190 lbs. So, if I am A Thomas, I wouldn't put that on my resume if it's not his true speed. If it is, well, it's slow.

I guess we don't have much of a sample size of Riley's recruiting @ NU. Most of what I'm seeing so far is fairly underwhelming w alot of 'spin' from fans, so I should probably just stay away from the subject until something 'wows' me.

He did score that 4* DT out of Okie, so I'll give him that much.

Rex and ameer after finishing college ran in the 4.6 range. A legit 4.71 which was electronicly timed is fast enough as a junior in high school. Kids tape is pretty solid. Riley has landed a 4 star OT from Oklahoma but not a DT.

Wow! Someone should have told Bo that 5 stars were the "best" prospects. If Bo were recruiting by stars, why was everyone complaining about star rating every year, particularly when we were recruiting the under-the-radar talent Bo constantly found?

• Fire 2
  • 2 weeks later...