Martinez and the NFL

Did TM make any attempt to make an NFL team? It seems that some team would be able to use his speed either as a receiver or a DB. As receiver, he would have to learn how to get tackled. Didn't he play DB for the scout team as a redshirt? I recall that he was a very good db, and I also remember him throwing the bones when he scored his first TD in a live game. It just seems strange to me that he is a real estate agent.

It was his foot. It was shredded up and I want to say he now has had 2 surgeries on it since the end of his playing career at NU. If he didn't have one after his senior year, he had one back in January/February. Gnarly scar.

Much props to that kid and his toughness.

I can't find the highlight, but that 35 yard run TM had against Minnesota was an underrated gem. Limping at the end of the run and had to get pushed out of bounds.

He was never healthy after midway of his Redshirt Freshman year. Kid had a lot of injuries, high ankle sprain, turf toe for sure. But the kid wanted to win, I really do not know where we would have been without him. Sad his dreams ended like they did. Too much of a warrior and not enough consideration of damage by the staff.

• Fire 2

He was never healthy after midway of his Redshirt Freshman year. Kid had a lot of injuries, high ankle sprain, turf toe for sure. But the kid wanted to win, I really do not know where we would have been without him. Sad his dreams ended like they did. Too much of a warrior and not enough consideration of damage by the staff by the "The Greatest Fans in College Football"

I fixed your quote.

The kid was just put in a bad place. Too much talent to ride the bench, staff not able to develop a true QB. No one recruited that had his ability. The medical staff listened to the kid and the coach, rather than going by normal medical guide lines for his injuries. I understand it is hard to tell a kid no when he claims he is fine. But we saw the kid hobble onto the field many times.

Fans are stupid, they believe what ever the head coach tells them, proof of that is on this site.

His problem was the Head Coach needed to win, and he put it at all cost. Taylor's body paid the price for a unqualified, incompetent staff. The fans blamed the kid, but he was not in control of being on the field, the crap offensive line he had to survive behind. Warrior mentality with win at all costs situation. No win situation when injured.

• Fire 3

He was never healthy after midway of his Redshirt Freshman year. Kid had a lot of injuries, high ankle sprain, turf toe for sure. But the kid wanted to win, I really do not know where we would have been without him. Sad his dreams ended like they did. Too much of a warrior and not enough consideration of damage by the staff by the "The Greatest Fans in College Football"

I fixed your quote.

Taylor got grief from too many Husker fans, but certainly not all of them.

So I'm not sure I agree with your "fix" because it's hard to argue that the damage came from fans who watched Taylor Martinez press too hard and make too many turnovers, backed by a substandard offensive line, historically bad defense and some ham-handed receivers. Taylor was the most visible player on a team that had taken on the personality of its stubborn, tightly-wound and frequently out-coached coach. With everything that was stacked against him, he still set most every qb record at Nebraska. People will come around to that when the disappointment in the 2008 - 2014 era abates.

So yeah, even without the injury that Pelini ignored because he considered Martinez his only viable option, the coaching staff did damage to Taylor's career. The fans just reacted to it.

The more interesting question is how many coaches would have given Martinez the shot to start at QB, and how many would have talked him into receiver or DB.

• Fire 2

Fans are stupid, they believe what ever the head coach tells them, proof of that is on this site.

That doesn't mean we're stupid. It means we're innocently ignorant, because we have no idea what goes on in locker rooms, practice, training sessions, etc. Since the head coach is a professional with the insight of running the program, there is nothing unintelligent about believing what they say.

That doesn't mean we're stupid. It means we're innocently ignorant, because we have no idea what goes on in locker rooms, practice, training sessions, etc. Since the head coach is a professional with the insight of running the program, there is nothing unintelligent about believing what they say.

I felt pretty unintelligent after listening to Bo Pelini speak, you know, at the end of the day.

• Fire 3