Top 10 most delusional sports fan bases

"The once classy corn cob hat wearing fans even stooped so low as to present death threats to former receiver Niles Paul who dropped several passes during a loss."

This bullsh#t pisses me off. This is why we make lists like this.

Doesn't piss me off.

I don't let this stuff make or break my mindset anymore. It's not healthy.

"The once classy corn cob hat wearing fans even stooped so low as to present death threats to former receiver Niles Paul who dropped several passes during a loss."

The article was written by a group of Missouri fans and I'm not kidding.

Not a bit surprised. Mizzou fans go out of their way to douche on a Husker fan.

Regardless, the above is enough to make one angry.

It is completely unacceptable but it happens with all high profile football programs. Doesn't make it right by any means but singling us out for it is stupid as sh#t

Yup. Even so-called classy fan bases have jackasses in their midst. At the 2007 Wake Forest game I saw several guys filling up a piss bottle as I was walking into the game. Probly to douse some poor Husker fan, I thought. As I walked about 50 yards farther I passed by a cop. So I stopped and requested that he go ask those fellas what they had planned for that piss bottle. I'm not one to rat someone out for drunken fun. But that really ticked me off. I mean, why should I let those punks ruin some Husker fan's game day?

That's the right move. The line is crossed from fun to douchey bullsh#t when whatever you have planned comes at the expense of someone else.

Doesn't piss me off.

I don't let this stuff make or break my mindset anymore. It's not healthy.

It's not simply someone talking trash about a guy on a message board, it's a death threat. Hollow as it may be it's just unacceptable. A fan threatens the life of a college athlete for dropping a pass. Take fandom out of it, thats not okay anywhere.

Amd yes it's old news but it still grinds my gears.

...and the UND folks are constantly crying that they are being forced to change their mascot from the racist "fighting Sioux"

Tell us again how this is racist...

How about we play "how is it NOT racist." I understand that people attach intense emotion to a team name (I would struggle if people told me I couldn't be a Husker anymore), but when people of Sioux heritage ask you to stop calling yourself "the fighting Sioux"...you kind of have to stop. Go Spirit/Roughriders/North Stars!!!!

...and the UND folks are constantly crying that they are being forced to change their mascot from the racist "fighting Sioux"

Tell me again, how white people give a sh*t about things that have no bearing on their lives...

If you want to make a difference, change the culture on impoverished reservations, not worry about a mascot of college hockey team FFS...

Currently the KC Royals are the most delusional fan base who are about to vote a crappy SS to the All Star game. The kicker is that Royal brass probably isn't too happy about it seeing how they'd be on the hook for 500k if Infante does get voted in haha.

That's not delusional, that's just awesome fan support.

How about we play "how is it NOT racist." I understand that people attach intense emotion to a team name (I would struggle if people told me I couldn't be a Husker anymore), but when people of Sioux heritage ask you to stop calling yourself "the fighting Sioux"...you kind of have to stop. Go Spirit/Roughriders/North Stars!!!!

Short version: the Sioux people of North Dakota liked the :"Fighting Sioux" logo (there was no mascot) and polling showed they wanted UND to retain it. But according to NCAA rules, for UND to keep the name the two Sioux bands in North Dakota would have to have voted in favor of it. This they would have done, but the tribal officials wouldn't permit the matter to come to a vote, meaning that UND had to drop the logo or receive sanctions.

• Fire 1

Oh come on guys, we deserve to be there, just read the posts from 5 years ago about how we would totally own the Big Ten

6 months ago about how great our head coach was, and only the OC and DC needed to go.

How Nebraska, Oregon and Alabama were the only 9 win teams ever year for yada yada.

Heck last year when Bozo had a few wins, most on this board were figuring how we would make the playoffs after a loss!

We can not see the forest for the trees most of the time.

We love our team, that is our job, but when you talk to people outside of the state of Nebraska, most think we are terribly over the top, considering we have not won a single thing since 1999. Let that sink in.

But things are going to get better!!!!

Putting aside the broken gifs and all the "Nebraska is boring...." stuff, so unoriginal., in general I think this list should have been titled "Fan Bases I Don't Like" by the author

Each entry seems to have more to do with why that particular fan base is annoying rather than delusional.

I get some Husker fans think we can win it all every year and often think we're better than we are but what does that have to do with death threats against Niles Paul? Yes it's really really bad, but what does that have to do with being delusional? If this list is about bad fan behavior then why aren't Colorado or Mizzo fans on the list?

I'm not a fan of either the Chiefs, or the Browns but he makes it sound like it's only okay to be a fan of a successful winning team. "..the fact that any of Cleveland’s teams still have fans at all makes it a delusional fan base"

To me a true fan supports their team even when wins are slim. I've been a life long NU Basketball fan, I've been a fan through some truly brutal years but that doesn't make me delusional, I never went into a season saying "WE'RE GONNA WIN THE TOURNY THIS YEAR!!!"

Some of the other teams on the list don't make sense to me. I really hate the Cowboys, but I don't think fans of the Cowboys are delusional. They may not have won a super bowl recently but made a few playoff appearances and they're certainly not the Jags.

In general I would say the vast majority of the teams in the NFL have reason to believe their team could be a super bowl contender. The Giants won the super bowl after lossing 4 straight games and losing twice to Washington who went like 4-12 that year. The Steelers won it all as a wildcard...I just don't get it.

• Fire 1

So Notre Dame is racist?

I'm confused.

The simple thought the article was written is purely idiotic and obviously only written to get a rise out of the groups mentioned.

Being a fan in the simplest form makes anyone "delusional". That's part of being a fan and part of what makes sports so great.

Isn't the simple fact that we love a group of players that go play a sport for fun more than some other group that does the same thing simply delusional and strange? That can be said about any sports fan group.

This article is nothing more than off season fodder to rile people up.

• Fire 2