Banker comments on when are the Blackshirts being handed out.

As much as the Blackshirt tradition was destroyed or diminished by Bo simply by changing the way they were distributed, I think we've lost that old feeling on the Blackshirt tradition mostly because of the lack of aggression in the scheme and in a lot of the players.

The thirst for violence has not been a reigning force in a lot of players here in recent memory.

Suh was a physical freak and an aggressive beast by nature but that scheme did not bring out the ferocity in a whole lot of players here lately.

I'm hoping that simply by playing in an aggressive, attacking scheme similar to those defenses of McBride's days, that will bring out the nature of the beast that is the Blackshirt.

Definitely. One of the reasons I am most excited about this year and the future. I don't think we'll be great this year but I am hoping for a much more aggressive defense. Swarming to the ball and playing with some attitude.

Guys were seemingly too worried about "fits" and played on their heels in recent years under Bo. Playing that way took the crowd out of the game also imo.

Absolutely it took the crowd out of the game. The risk vs. reward factor is huge when you play aggressive defense, but that aspect in itself keeps the crowd interested. You go into a game knowing your defense may give up the "big one" here or there, but you know they're going to crush some skulls, stack up the TFL's, sack the QB, and ball hawk some INT's in the process.

It's gonna be fun to watch some of these players we've got on the roster and how they perform in this new style. I think we've got quite a few players who are primed and ready to let it go and have some fun, maybe take some frustrations out on Stave's ass this year. Gerry, Rose, Banderas, Jackson, Collins, Davie, Valentine, Gangwish, and Newby are ready to seriously unleash on somebody. Those guys are beasts.

I am to lazy to look up the statistics (from NFL) not college about how detrimental TO's(particularly INT's) are to opposing teams. The odds of winning with multiple picks exponentially decreases the chances of that team winning. A more aggressive D can flip the field, cause a TO be it a fumble or INT, cause serious loss of yardage with a TFL or sack and absolutely fire up the team and the crowd. It can also give up big plays, but Bo's cement defense did that several times a year.......

I like the tradition reverting back. You get them prior to BYU and you keep them through the bowl game. You don't lose them for a bad play, bad game or a loss. They aren't to be used as Bo did as some magical carrot that he waived before the stick. Unsure form week to week if you'd get one or keep one. Playing scared about messing up played into the D from day one. As guys mentioned above SUH, Lavonte (I'd even throw in Haag, Gomes, Prince etc) had athleticism to make Bo's scheme look good even when they "free lanced".

Guys coming down hill, bringing the heat and looking for intentional collisions will bode well for this D. We seem to have the athletes that can play if let loose.

As much as the Blackshirt tradition was destroyed or diminished by Bo simply by changing the way they were distributed, I think we've lost that old feeling on the Blackshirt tradition mostly because of the lack of aggression in the scheme and in a lot of the players.

The thirst for violence has not been a reigning force in a lot of players here in recent memory.

Suh was a physical freak and an aggressive beast by nature but that scheme did not bring out the ferocity in a whole lot of players here lately.

I'm hoping that simply by playing in an aggressive, attacking scheme similar to those defenses of McBride's days, that will bring out the nature of the beast that is the Blackshirt.

Definitely. One of the reasons I am most excited about this year and the future. I don't think we'll be great this year but I am hoping for a much more aggressive defense. Swarming to the ball and playing with some attitude.

Guys were seemingly too worried about "fits" and played on their heels in recent years under Bo. Playing that way took the crowd out of the game also imo.

Absolutely it took the crowd out of the game. The risk vs. reward factor is huge when you play aggressive defense, but that aspect in itself keeps the crowd interested. You go into a game knowing your defense may give up the "big one" here or there, but you know they're going to crush some skulls, stack up the TFL's, sack the QB, and ball hawk some INT's in the process.

It's gonna be fun to watch some of these players we've got on the roster and how they perform in this new style. I think we've got quite a few players who are primed and ready to let it go and have some fun, maybe take some frustrations out on Stave's ass this year. Gerry, Rose, Banderas, Jackson, Collins, Davie, Valentine, Gangwish, and Newby are ready to seriously unleash on somebody. Those guys are beasts.

I am to lazy to look up the statistics (from NFL) not college about how detrimental TO's(particularly INT's) are to opposing teams. The odds of winning with multiple picks exponentially decreases the chances of that team winning. A more aggressive D can flip the field, cause a TO be it a fumble or INT, cause serious loss of yardage with a TFL or sack and absolutely fire up the team and the crowd. It can also give up big plays, but Bo's cement defense did that several times a year.......

I like the tradition reverting back. You get them prior to BYU and you keep them through the bowl game. You don't lose them for a bad play, bad game or a loss. They aren't to be used as Bo did as some magical carrot that he waived before the stick. Unsure form week to week if you'd get one or keep one. Playing scared about messing up played into the D from day one. As guys mentioned above SUH, Lavonte (I'd even throw in Haag, Gomes, Prince etc) had athleticism to make Bo's scheme look good even when they "free lanced".

Guys coming down hill, bringing the heat and looking for intentional collisions will bode well for this D. We seem to have the athletes that can play if let loose.

Not to mention, that a couple hurries, knockdowns, sacks and ints can really rattle a QB

• Fire 1

Not to mention, that a couple hurries, knockdowns, sacks and ints can really rattle a QB

Man, no doubt. The day we let a dude like Joel Stave sit back in the pocket with no pressure is over. I am hoping that we bring back that mentality to punish QB's who stay in the pocket. I also remember the glory days of knowing that QB's who tried to make plays with their legs would quickly get gun shy or hurt. The problem of our D, save SUH and Assante IMO, is that they are no longer feared. That bend don't break get your a$$ handed to you mentality on D has got to go. I would honestly rather see an 8-4/7-5 record, but physically beat the crap out of teams and be feared and respected than winning 9 and getting trucked by teams with a pulse.

You look at the great Husker D throughout history and they played with intensity, anger, passion, and never took a play off. They had pipe hitters at every level. You will never convince me opposing teams were not scared to play them.

• Fire 1

I hope they bring in some real blackshirts to help hand them out and talk to the players about what it meant to them to get one.

That's a great idea! Would love to see this done.

It is a win-win. The current staff doesn't know much about the tradition. The last staff made a half hearted attempt at it. This staff can embrace it by putting it in the hands of those who have the real passion for them.

Like the idea of handing them out before the season, do not like the idea of previous players handing out the jerseys. IMO the best way to hand them out would be for the starters to show up to practice with the jerseys in their locker. Isn't that the way they did it in the past? Do not make a big production out of it, just do it.

Like the idea of handing them out before the season, do not like the idea of previous players handing out the jerseys. IMO the best way to hand them out would be for the starters to show up to practice with the jerseys in their locker. Isn't that the way they did it in the past? Do not make a big production out of it, just do it.

+1 If the coaches do a good job of communicating the past traditions of the program, there is no need for past players to come back and make a big production out of it. The players will be excited to receive the Blackshirts at practice the week before the BYU game, and that should be good enough.

I hope they bring in some real blackshirts to help hand them out and talk to the players about what it meant to them to get one.

Anyone else recall when the days when the opposition got off a cheap shot or even got a roughing the QB call. You knew the blackshirts would rise up a knock their "Dicks in the dirt"(attributed to my old Lincoln SE coach.)

+1 If the coaches do a good job of communicating the past traditions of the program, there is no need for past players to come back and make a big production out of it. The players will be excited to receive the Blackshirts at practice the week before the BYU game, and that should be good enough.

Totally agree

• 1 month later...

No flack from me...

(edit: I understand the "blackshirt tradition" pertains to the starters, great or not. As far as that is concerned, good on them for designating who wears the practice jersey before the first game, might save a laundry bill or something. The fact is, WE FANS have made this tradition much more than what it started. We started to equate it to production and a certain mentality of chaos, disruption, and pain. So, I agree. Until the defense looks like it should wear black, I don't care)