Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

by Brian Towle, Corn Nation, Jul 23, 2015, 5:00a

Hello Off Tackle Empire, today I am here to talk to you all about why the Nebraska Cornhuskers were justified in both firing a nine win guy in Head Coach in Bo Pelini, as well as hiring perpetual cup-is-always-full man in Mike Riley out of Corvallis despite quite a bit of evidence that the school was insane.

<snip>

One of the worst things? Word on the street is that Bo and his brother Carl, on the morning of that Texas game, went to the basement of the Cornhusker-Marriott in downtown Lincoln and confronted a man who ran one of the many Husker insider message boards and had grown too close to Bo's inner circle. They took the time to track him down in his room and cordially invited him to meet them. The actual meeting was reminiscent of Bo nose-to-nose with TMart on the sideline versus Texas A&M, with the type of language that - as you've probably come to realize at this point - only Pelini could add. The exact reason for their confrontation is still a mystery, but regardless, there’s been very little in denying this happened from all sources contacted. It should also be noted that Bo, in his post-Texas, Tuesday press conference, admitted he didn't do enough pre-game work to have the team properly prepared, and it was his fault they were not ready.

Some interesting stuff in that article. The drama continues! :lol:

• Fire 2

Interesting artlicle, I think from AD SE perspective, Pelini's firing was mostly about about the way he conducted himself and he being a bad fit with SE personality and what he thought a coach should be. I read somewhere that SE mantra is to not be an "Energy Vampire". Don't suck the life out of everyone in a room, don't take energy from people, but add energy. That is the essence of BP.

Until now I had never thought about it, but BP is exactly like the Principle/Superintendent I had at my second teaching job at a small D2 school. He would literally fly off the handle and yell at people about stupid little things. He would create turmoil almost every time he walked into a room. Basically he was a dick. One memory I have is after a FB game we had lost, I said to him so and so has a reason to be tired he had 460 of all purpose yards in the game. All he said to me was "I guess if he was in better shape he wouldn't be tired and maybe you would have won the game.

The funny thing is that he actually played football at Nebraska and was an all conference lineman in the early 80's. He was an Energy Vampire.

Riley is the polar opposite.

I do think if BP was winning a little more and maybe had a championship in there it would have been very hard for SE to fire him though.

The "basement of the Cornhusker story" has been floating around for a handful of years. It does speak to Bo's management style that the morning of the biggest game of the year he chose to intimidate a message board poster instead of concentrating on the task at hand. And everyone wondered why the team looked so flat that day?

HAHA! The old, basement confrontation!

That story has been floating around for a long time. Even today I still don't know what to make of it.

Probably the more amazing thing that day...me and a buddy left Omaha about 1 hour and 15 minutes before kickoff...the roads were empty and we were flying! We found a "free" parking spot at the Jiffy Lube (I think, it was closed) and parked...I made a quick call and it turns out a friend was down there with two extra champions passes!

We meet him and get the passes...start drinking and head up to the restaurant. We order our grub and wash it down with some more booze and I head back down...I thought my buddy was paying...he thought it was free! So we just walked out on the tab.

That story has been floating around for a long time. Even today I still don't know what to make of it.

Probably the more amazing thing that day...me and a buddy left Omaha about 1 hour and 15 minutes before kickoff...the roads were empty and we were flying! We found a "free" parking spot at the Jiffy Lube (I think, it was closed) and parked...I made a quick call and it turns out a friend was down there with two extra champions passes!

We meet him and get the passes...start drinking and head up to the restaurant. We order our grub and wash it down with some more booze and I head back down...I thought my buddy was paying...he thought it was free! So we just walked out on the tab.

I can 100% confirm the basement story as I know the guy it happened to. It was Carl, Bo and a Lincoln police officer in the basement.

Basically this guy had a solid relationship with the staff leading up to this. Even sent NU film for the Western Kentucky game as it was a new HC etc that year for them I believe? Basically he had a guy film the entire spring game of WKU so they had something to go off of when we played them.

Bo screamed and yelled and told the guy to stay the f#*k away from HIS team.

• Fire 1

I can 100% confirm the basement story as I know the guy it happened to. It was Carl, Bo and a Lincoln police officer in the basement.

Basically this guy had a solid relationship with the staff leading up to this. Even sent NU film for the Western Kentucky game as it was a new HC etc that year for them I believe? Basically he had a guy film the entire spring game of WKU so they had something to go off of when we played them.

Bo screamed and yelled and told the guy to stay the f#*k away from HIS team.

Ha! That is awesome!

Why was he filming WKU?

You know you'll get comments like this from time to time here:

Mavric, you must not be familiar with the new Huskerboard. Beck was a dumb-dumb and everything about the staff is superior and will thus fix our problems.

TA is a returning member of the team and thus we are required to be optimistic, even though we're familiar with his play and ability to play QB. In no way was his decision making his fault, it was all on Beck (dang him!) and his inherent limitations as a QB will soon be fixed by one off season.

and I gotta be honest, I've looked back at some of the games and Beck did do some good stuff (and some very stupid stuff) but really, when it comes to Bo Pelini and Beck and acknowledging anything that staff did well, it would be a lot easier to give them credit if they weren't such arrogant f'ing d'bags.

Especially Pelini with things like this story and the two audio tapes. Beck had his moments where he just came off as stubborn, unwilling to change, and I think he held a lot of resentment for the fan base as well.

It's a simple concept really, I'm a lot more likely to defend a guy I like no matter how wrong or right he might be. I think that's human nature isn't it? It's my nature anyway. If I don't like you, I'm likely to tell you to f#*k off back to Ohio.

You know you'll get comments like this from time to time here:

Mavric, you must not be familiar with the new Huskerboard. Beck was a dumb-dumb and everything about the staff is superior and will thus fix our problems.

TA is a returning member of the team and thus we are required to be optimistic, even though we're familiar with his play and ability to play QB. In no way was his decision making his fault, it was all on Beck (dang him!) and his inherent limitations as a QB will soon be fixed by one off season.

and I gotta be honest, I've looked back at some of the games and Beck did do some good stuff (and some very stupid stuff) but really, when it comes to Bo Pelini and Beck and acknowledging anything that staff did well, it would be a lot easier to give them credit if they weren't such arrogant f'ing d'bags.

Especially Pelini with things like this story and the two audio tapes. Beck had his moments where he just came off as stubborn, unwilling to change, and I think he held a lot of resentment for the fan base as well.

It's a simple concept really, I'm a lot more likely to defend a guy I like no matter how wrong or right he might be. I think that's human nature isn't it? It's my nature anyway. If I don't like you, I'm likely to tell you to f#*k off back to Ohio.

Even if you don't like the fans, media and so on...keep it to yourself and play the game. It seems like it would just make your life so much easier.

• Fire 1

I remember when this board hated Dirk Chatelain for the things he wrote about Pelini and the way he ran the program. Kinda funny how he was right.

Heck, some people still don't like him around here.

Dirk got grief for what he wrote about Martinez, and once that bridge was burned with some people, they never gave him another chance.

Dirk also got grief for intentionally poking the bear with Pelini. That's far more forgivable since Pelini was such a yutz with the press, but Dirk wasn't always productive about it.

He's a good writer with good opinions, and he does a lot of things well. He's made mistakes and he's taken grief for it. Like Pelini, a lot of what Dirk gets grief for are/were self-inflicted wounds.

• Fire 1

I remember when this board hated Dirk Chatelain for the things he wrote about Pelini and the way he ran the program. Kinda funny how he was right.

Heck, some people still don't like him around here.

Dirk got grief for what he wrote about Martinez, and once that bridge was burned with some people, they never gave him another chance.

Dirk also got grief for intentionally poking the bear with Pelini. That's far more forgivable since Pelini was such a yutz with the press, but Dirk wasn't always productive about it.

He's a good writer with good opinions, and he does a lot of things well. He's made mistakes and he's taken grief for it. Like Pelini, a lot of what Dirk gets grief for are/were self-inflicted wounds.

Pretty much this. The whole Martinez "bench him because you didn't recruit anyone better" debacle was just stupid.

And he's a JaySker.