Making Sense of the RB Position

We apparently told Stevenson that he would come in and compete for playing time right away as only one RB currently on the roster had "proved himself" during spring ball.

Going out on a limb and assuming that particular RB was not Imani Cross.

I hope to God that it isn't Imani Cross. If he's NU's #1 back, we are in trouble.

We apparently told Stevenson that he would come in and compete for playing time right away as only one RB currently on the roster had "proved himself" during spring ball.

Its Newby with everyone else trailing

Yup.

Prediction....

If Stevenson comes in and doesn't get major snaps this year, there will be rumors after the season that he is unhappy and going to transfer due to horrible mismanagement of the roster by this staff.

In reality, he will be just fine and he was just a true freshman behind some very talented, older and more experienced players.

Its Newby with everyone else trailing

Yep. But I'm curious to see where Taylor lands after some more recovery time. Davis said he was tentative in the 6-7 practices before spring break, still not fully trusting the ankle. In the first few after the break he looked a lot better. Now with more recovery and training time, I think he'll be right in the mix.

Plus he better fits the mold of the "big back" that Riley and Co. favor than Newby or Wilbon. I think a 1-2 punch of Newby and Taylor will get a lot of run this year.

• Fire 1

Prediction....

If Stevenson comes in and doesn't get major snaps this year, there will be rumors after the season that he is unhappy and going to transfer due to horrible mismanagement of the roster by this staff.

In reality, he will be just fine and he was just a true freshman behind some very talented, older and more experienced players.

Predicting false rumors about non-starters huh. Going way out on a limb there gamblin man.

And let's not forget so quickly how Ameer played during his first season with significant snaps. Rex got hurt and Ameer filled in admirably. I can't remember exactly, but I think he started from UCLA game until Iowa.

And he was closer to 185 lbs, not nearly the same size or force he became during his senior season. I recall some untimely fumbles that year, but also a lot of hard nose running and effort, whether it was for two yards or twelve.

Souther Miss -- 15 att 81 yrds (also 4 catches 39 yrds, 1TD) -- Longest Run 19 yrds

@UCLA --16 att 119 yrds 2 TD -- Longest Run 36 yards

Ark State -- 30 att 167 yrds 2TD (also 39 yrds on 2 catches) -- Longest Run 45 yrds

Idaho St -- 8 att 49 yrds 1 TD -- Longest Run 10 yrds

Wisconsin - 10 att 70 yrds -- Longest Run 17 yrds

@tOSU -- 7 att 28 yrds 2 TD -- Longest Run 20 yrds

@NW -- 19 att 101 yrds (5 catches, 21 yrds) -- Longest Run 15 yrds

Mich -- 24 att 101 yrds 1 TD -- Longest Run 18 yrds

@Mich ST -- 22 att 110 yrds -- Longest Run 15 yrds

Penn ST -- 31 att 116 yrds -- (also 4 catches 29 yards) Longest Run 33 yrds

Minnesota -- 18 att 79 yrds -- Longest Run 23 yrds

@Iowa -- 14 att 50 yrds -- Longest Run 7 yrds

x Wisconsin -- 5 att 18 yrds -- Longest Run 7 yrds

y Georgia -- 7 att 48 yrds -- Longest Run 26 yrds

All this was with defenses keying on our biggest weapon, TMart (and Burkhead in games he was able to play). Still, I think these type of numbers can be achieved by Newby, one would think (or hope). Nothing fancy. Roughly 20 or so carries, 100 yards or so. Hard to believe though, just one rushing touchdown over the final 8 games.

• Fire 1

Here is what they are saying about Stevenson to Nebraska over at a Wisconsin board "Buckyville dot yuku dot com"

As I understand it. Nebraska has been trying to improve it's academic reputation since joining the B10. Doesn't this scream 'We care less about academics'?

Just awesome, we'll be going against him every year and possibly this October in Lincoln.

If there's one good thing about this, it's that him and his talent will be shoved in our face every time we play them and maybe more people will get pissed off about it and request that we give kids the same chance other "like minded schools" are giving. Let's stop playing with one hand tied behind our back while throwing at a moving target that has the scoring lines drawn on after the darts are thrown.

Ugh. Alabama would almost have been the lesser of two evils. The thing that really chaps me is that Jordan so badly wanted to be a Badger. He committed when we didn't have a coach. I believe he even got a Motion W tattoo. And now he's going to...Nebraska. A team we play every year. It's going to suck REALLY BAD if he becomes the next Montee Ball or Melvin Gordon.

Maybe he will only be A mere Abdullah when Nebby plays Sconnie!

I was over on buckyville reading some of this also. I usually only go to there leftover board the have some funny stuff on it. Anyway, some of them are kind of upset he didn't get into Whiskey while others are saying they won't lower their standards to let him in. etc. It is pretty well split from what I can tell. Whiskey grads to tend to think their degree is of a greater value than most and the definitely look down on Nebraska in that respect.

Growing up in the heart of Big Ten Country I never heard one person that I grew up with or older people say anything like "Wow, I can't wait to attend Wisconsin, what a great education"

You being clueless about the academic merits of an institution has nothing whatsoever to do with the academic merits of that institution.

OOOh, snap, things gettin' personal. He called you "clueless", teach!

If he thinks Wisconsin is not a stellar institution for academics, yes, he is indeed clueless in this particular instance.

If you think you read his statement correctly, you are indeed clueless as well. Or illiterate.

... lol. This board is awful.

Back to Sconnie board to talk genetics then eh?

One thing that I don't believe has been addressed before is the type of running back Riley has recruited. To me, they all run a different way then our current backs. I noticed it with the first two Rbs that committed.

The reason why I believe this is important is that it appears that those the kind of backs Riley likes, and that will affect their chances to getting playing time. As Stevenson is far and away the best of these new backs, he very well could be the #2 back after a couple games.

I also think Cross will be used more then others may think because he is a team player that does all the coaches ask of him. When your starting to coach a new team, you want to reward those players by giving them a chance.

Long story short, while a bunch of backs may be more talented, in my opinion, then others, it's the ones that fit in his system that have an advantage. (And yes, I know he says he adjusts his system to the talent around. But if some of the talent plays into his preferred system, then they have an advantage).

One thing that I don't believe has been addressed before is the type of running back Riley has recruited. To me, they all run a different way then our current backs. I noticed it with the first two Rbs that committed.

The reason why I believe this is important is that it appears that those the kind of backs Riley likes, and that will affect their chances to getting playing time. As Stevenson is far and away the best of these new backs, he very well could be the #2 back after a couple games.

I also think Cross will be used more then others may think because he is a team player that does all the coaches ask of him. When your starting to coach a new team, you want to reward those players by giving them a chance.

Long story short, while a bunch of backs may be more talented, in my opinion, then others, it's the ones that fit in his system that have an advantage. (And yes, I know he says he adjusts his system to the talent around. But if some of the talent plays into his preferred system, then they have an advantage).

Actually I did mention that Taylor is the closest to the mold that Riley likes. I've seen several places where they've said they like a bigger back. Both Ozigbo (5-11, 220) and Thomas (6-0, 190) are bigger backs. Thomas has the frame to add weight and I bet he'll be over 200 when he gets to campus in a year. Stevenson isn't as tall but he's well put-together (5-9, 205). Newby is close to that size (5-10, 200) but Wilbon is a little smaller (5-8, 190).

Cross (6-1, 240) is obviously a big back but he just doesn't have a big of a skill set as the others do. It's pretty obvious when he got moved down to the white team for the Spring Game after working with the Reds all spring.

Good points.

I agree about Cross as well, could be a situational or change mof pace kind of back. Slow things down a bit when we need to grind.

How much emphasis is being put on the backs' pass catching abilities? To me New by seems like a front runner as a receiving back, what about Taylor? I don'tknow anything at all about his pass catching abilities.