Scout: Greatest CFB Team of the Last 25 Years

Mavric

The biggest stat that the article didn't mention - the 95 team beat 4 teams, decisively, which FINISHED in the top 10

www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?seasonid=1995#.Vcz1NGdRFhM

Also another trivial fact - No QB sacks all year long. That is unheard of. Yes, we weren't a passing team, but still there were plenty of opportunities for a break down in blocking. Just shows how dominate the pipeline use to be.

I did think the 97 team should have been included in the list of other teams under consideration. If the 99 team had not fumbled against Texas, I think they would have been high on this list as well. They were better than the 2001 team and almost equal or perhaps equal to 97.

I'd have to go back and look, but I don't think the 1995 team was ever penalized for a holding call that year either. Truly stunning!

And that 1999 team's defense was easily one of the best Nebraska Blackshirt defenses ever. No doubt in my mind that they would have beaten FSU for the championship that season if given the opportunity. Damn this is making me miss power-option football.

The '95 Team punted the ball 29 times over the entire season.

I'm gonna guess the first string wasn't involved in several of those.

You don't look at punting stats much, but that's a helluva metric for domination.

Wow, 29 punts. That is impressive. To put that in perspective, Ohio State punted 48 times last year. LINK

• Fire 1

The video just shows how little research the younger guys like Herbstreet had done. "Did Nebraska even throw the ball." Nebraska threw the ball a lot for that era averaging 23 attempts per game and 177 yards passing with 57 rushes for 252 yards per game. They ran out of "the spread formation" a 1 running back set about half the time. Although, they typically only split one end out and had the backs line upin a tight slot on one side (usually JR) and a flanker on the other. They also ended the year having beaten the teams rated 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and only one of those was even close. They destroyed Colorado and Alabama.

Tagge's stats 154 of 258 17 TD and 4 INT 2178 yards rating 149. Comp % 59.7

• Fire 1

01 miami defense would shut that husker offense down.

How would Frazier pass the ball on Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Phillip Buchanan, Antrelle Rolle, and Mike Rumph?

Those guys would have been pancake blocked by our walk-on wideouts and then would watch helplessly while Tommie, Ahman, and LP waltzed to the end zone over and over.

• Fire 5

How would Frazier pass the ball on Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Phillip Buchanan, Antrelle Rolle, and Mike Rumph?

And yeah yeah, that 95 team ran all over ray lewis and sapp, but that 01 defene was amazing

I don't think you have a very good understanding of Nebraska's offense back then. No way in hell would the '01 canes shut down the '95 offense. That's hilarious. And the part of the defense you mention is the secondary? lol.

• Fire 1

First off, if you're counting the couple instances in the Fiesta Bowl, Nebraska trailed more than once. Washington St took a 7-0 lead on a fluke 80-something yard TD run or some sh#t early in that game.

As far as Herbstreit and the offense goes, Osborne was doing things with spread and option concepts and the blocking schemes that go along with them 20 years ago that today's supposed geniuses such as Chip Kelly, Guz Malzahn, and Urban Meyer are just still starting to figure out. The only thing that held Osborne's offense back (if you'd call that run as "held back") is not having the tried and true dual threat qb to the degree that we see today and the big talent at receiver. We had Reggie Baul and John Vedral.

And yeah yeah, that 95 team ran all over ray lewis and sapp, but that 01 defene was amazing

The '94 team ran all over Ray Lewis and Sapp* the '95 team was a lot better than that.

We scored 49 on the 2nd ranked defense in the country and averaged 53 points per game against the 24th ranked strength of schedule.

Sure, you would have held us to less than normal. But how are you going to score? You averaged 42 points per game against the 22nd ranked strength of schedule. We had a top 5 defense as well.

All other things being equal, you barely squeaked by Boston College and Va Tech where nobody was within a puncher's throw of us all season.

The video just shows how little research the younger guys like Herbstreet had done. "Did Nebraska even throw the ball."

Doesn't seem like the old guys did any research either, since Lou Holtz' response was, "They didn't have to pass the ball they ran the option!"

The 95 team played 4 top ten teams. Won by an average score of 49-18.

Against top ten teams.

Conversely, '01 Miami beat 5 top 20 teams by an average score of 45-11.

Not bad, but they also had their first team offense and defense throughout the entirety of at least two of those.