Screw you complainers

knapplc

It's probably fair to say that fans in certain parts of the country might not know Mike Riley's name. Fans in Pac Twelve country should, so it's not accurate to suggest that he is only known in Nebraska. And in coaching circles he's held in very high regard. Mike Riley's reputation on that front is an asset.

If only we had shelled out the money for Jim Harbaugh, we could have had a head coach who lost his opening game to a team from Utah.

So what's the f'ing difference, guys?

The difference is that Harbaugh has reached elite status because he's already proven himself -- you know he's capable. With Riley, we don't know that.

but to be truthful, if you ask the average football fan who Mike Riley is, I'd venture to say that outside of Nebraska, most people wouldn't know.

I would say this is wrong. The average Nebraska fan might have that impression because many of us had no idea who he was.

Not that name stature is very important. As the HC of Nebraska now, everyone will know who he is. This would be true even had the hire been, say, our version of Derek "Who???" Dooley.

I live in Louisiana. Just for kicks, today I asked 10 of my coworkers, all of whom are avid football fans, if they knew who Mike Riley is. The number who knew? Zero. I'll stick with my opinion.

Yeah, well, Louisiana....

Don't argue with the guy. Short of Riley winning a national championship next week he won't be satisfied.

Next week is too late- Riley should have already won a few... like Harbaugh. :rolleyes:

Well to my recollection (i could be wrong) is that every team that Harbaugh has taken over was a complete dumpster fire prior to his hire.

He wasn't handed the keys to a "Cadillac" that had won 9 to 10 games each of the previous 7 seasons while being driven by a supposed blind, incompetent driver.

I'm curious about how many people in year 1 of Callahan's tenure were saying something close to the same thing as we are with Riley.

I'm waiting to make my judgements in full capacity. Right now I think we'll be fine. I don't care if people don't know who Riley is. They are about to find out.

Who seriously pays attention to Oregon State football outside of Pac12 territory?

I say if Bo was coaching this game we would have lost by 20+,

Dollars to donuts we hear this line after every single game for the foreseeable future.

No, you won't--because most fans are reasonable. But we would have lost that game by 20 if Bo was still head coach. Why? Because the game required halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball. Halftime adjustments which Bo was apparently incapable or unwilling to make. Either that or he did, but he was so bad at making adjustments that it just looked like none were made.

There might be games where we will just be outathleted (i.e., against Ohio State). We would probably lose that game by 20+ regardless of who our coach is, but I like Riley's chances of beating Ohio State/hanging in the game longer than I would with Bo Pelino.

• Fire 2