Screw you complainers

knapplc

wasn't too long ago, everyone was happy with the Riley hire and willing to give him 2-3 years to build a program.......one game with a hail mary and guys are bitching......come on now, new O, new coaches, kids that don't really fit the system, Riley trying to figure out the best scheme......let's give the coaches and kids both a chance to show improvement.......throwing in the towel now is ridiculous.

• Fire 1

I'm gonna vent. We 'let them vent' around here after losses.

To you complainers wasting bandwidth on this and other sites, and twitter, and Facebook, and calling in to radio shows to vent your spleen,

Cripes. You're quitting on the team? You want Pelini back? You're blowing a gasket because we lost on a hail mary pass in the last seconds?

Get over yourself. Sheesh.

Nebraska was never going to win all their games this year. This avalanche of tears was going to happen, either today or next week or three weeks. Same whining, same people, whenever the first loss happened. That's why it's so unimpressive that you flood the interwebz with this nonsense. It's predictable and stupid.

If you thought Nebraska should have won this game before the 4th quarter, that's on you. We shouldn't have. We had no business winning this game, as stacked against us as the deck was. Especially after the 2nd quarter, which in the last couple of years would have been the beginning of the spiral. They fought through it. They took the lead, were one fluke play from winning.

And now that the game's over, and we lost, the crying begins.

"I'm leaving. See you in five years."

"We never should have fired Bo."

"Riley sucks."

Stick it. Go root for Ohio State or Florida State or whomever is winning at the moment. Switch teams weekly; always cheer for the winners. Clearly your fragile ego cant handle the ups & downs of normal college football fandom.

I've been trying to tell people for weeks. This game was BYU's to lose. They had everything going for them. Consistency in coaching staff. Same schemes as last year. They're far older and more developed. They've played in this kind of environment over and over.

And for Nebraska? The opposite.

We excised a cyst of a former coach, a national punch line who embarrassed the team over and over and over.

Half our new staff had never worked together before. They still haven't unpacked all the boxes in their houses. They're still figuring out how to drive their kids to school. The environment is totally new to them.

Our players are learning all new schemes. Learning how to relate to these coaches. Learning new cadences, new packages, new everything. New game day procedures, new expectations. New levels of accountability.

BYU didn't start a single Freshman, and only had four on hand.

Nebraska started three Freshman, and played seven total.

BYU dismantled Texas in Austin last year. Embarrassed them, 41-7. They should have beaten Nebraska by a similar score. The odds were in their favor to do so, far moreso than for a Nebraska victory.

And let's not forget that this team, largely these defensive players, are responsible for spiraling-out-of-control losses in the past couple of years, where, once momentum turns away from the Huskers, they have shut down.

That's a hallmark of the Bo Pelini Defensive Scheme, which makes me question the sanity of anyone still shedding bitter tears for Bo's ouster.

The Big Ten Championship Game. 2014 Wisconsin. 2013 UCLA. 2011 Michigan & Wisconsin. If that's the guy you're pining after, CLICK ME.

But that didn't happen today. Despite all the newness, all the strangeness, the learning curve and the mistakes and the busts, the guys came back. They took the lead, and damned near won. A fluke play, an oddity, and they lost.

And you want to jump ship?

Then get out. Good riddance.

But the funny thing is, you don't. You want to whine and cry and have some pissing contest with the other whiners, posting your whining on message boards and Facebook and Twitter, trying to see whose hyperbole can generate the most views. Your takes are not hot. Your crying is unimpressive.

And you'll be back. Next week, next month, whenever something good happens you'll be cruising the board, posting once or twice, sharing the good feelings. When we lose again, you'll come back with another whinefest, bitching about everything and your kid brother.

officespace2.jpg

For those who are quite down on everything today, help me out with this next bit...

When's the last time we beat a team with a real pulse? A victory we could really hang our hats on? I'm struggling to find anything more recent than 2011 Michigan St., when we beat them in Lincoln 24-3.

We've spent the last several years of Husker football, and beyond, mostly only beating teams with .500 records or teams that finished with 8-9 wins at best.

It's true - had Taysom Hill remained in the game, we may have lost bigger. And hell, if Bo was still coaching, he may have won that game yesterday. But, the status quo around Nebraska, for years, has been about winning 9-10 games but never doing much else. That's what Nebraska football had become. We gave one guy 7 years to change that and he couldn't.

Riley deserves an opportunity to do it for us, and if he can't, he'll be fired, too. But, would you rather go through a little turbulence or continue idling around a 20th ranking in the country and #9wins? Mike Riley is an opportunity to make us be more than what we have been. He's no guarantee, but, I'd rather have some new fuel in the engines than what we've been dealing with.

• Fire 1

Don't know why anyone would complain about this game at all. Two evenly matched teams playing on a beautiful day before a packed house leading to the most exciting finish of the day...maybe even the year. BYU is tough...this wasn't Troy or Arkansas State you were playing here...and there's no embarrassment losing to a team like BYU. Best game of the day (excepting the one I worked at). Should be easy to build off of

• Fire 3

Everyone gets one epic meltdown. Mine was after the 40 point loss to Wisconsin in the CCG.

I worry about the folks who meltdown like that after every loss. However, I'd rather they come to HB and spew melodramatic drivel than beat their wives or something.

Gotta look at the positives here.

Everyone gets one epic meltdown. Mine was after the 40 point loss to Wisconsin in the CCG.

I worry about the folks who meltdown like that after every loss. However, I'd rather they come to HB and spew melodramatic drivel than beat their wives or something.

Gotta look at the positives here.

I guess I didn't think about it that way, but you're correct. Some people are nucking futs.

Buddy of mine, hates Nebraska. Thinks we are the worst fans, program is a joke etc etc. He is by all means a narcissstic douche. Instead of cheering for a team, he just cheers against Nebraska. Really pathetic, when we beat tOSU he even took to facebook and dropped racial slurs when the lost Miller. Drives me nuts how someone can be so passionately against a fanbase and team when there is no real bias other than what they chose to have.

Anyways, I said it before, I won't make an excuse for that game. BYU is a strong team. But that doesn't make me okay with it. We just lost our first season opener in 29 years. Would this loss be different had it happened next week instead? Maybe a little. If we rattle off 11 wins now, not many will care about yesterday. But for all the good stuff people are pointing out trying to stay positive, I couldn't help but notice the bad.

I mean sure, new staff, new schemes, injuries and suspensions. But why are we still committing ugly penalties. Why is Tommy chucking the ball around behind him instead of falling down. Why aren't we familiar with a hail mary defense. It is what it is. Next week will come, the season continues.

I guess the most upsetting thing for me is that all this new stuff and potential and I kinda felt like....not much had changed. It felt familiar i guess. I'm sure I'm over reacting and whatnot but I guess I wanted to see a new identity overall. We had gotten so used to inconsistent play, seeing a new era in the first game play inconsistently felt eerily familiar I suppose.

So, we get better and we keep on keepin on. I just hate to lose like that. Here's to a win against the Jaguars next week.

Considering most of this board thought Nebraska would win, I saw the meltdown coming.

Personally, it's disappointing. Yes, the offense looked okay at times. But we had a tough time running the ball and managed a decent passing night against one of the worst secondaries in the country. This BYU defense gave up a lot of points last year, we should've been able to score in the 30s on them.

The staff might've made some halftime adjustments, good on them, but Hill's injury occurred in the 2nd quarter during his 20+ yard TD run. It's hard to know if it was our adjustments that allowed our defense to actually get some stops, or if it was BYU simply playing worse without their star QB.

I think the offense has promise with the right QB. Tommy overthrew some easy completions and the screen game looked pretty good for the most part. The run game, however, needs to be addressed soon. If Nebraska is unable to run the ball, we'll have to somehow win games with TA throwing, this time against secondaries that don't rank in the 110s. Furthermore, Bankers defense looked so-so at best. We were torched during the game when Hill was healthy. Hopefully we see improvement, but we have a long way to go on the defensive side of the ball.

• Fire 1

I mean sure, new staff, new schemes, injuries and suspensions. But why are we still committing ugly penalties. Why is Tommy chucking the ball around behind him instead of falling down. Why aren't we familiar with a hail mary defense. It is what it is. Next week will come, the season continues.

Bad habits take more than an off-season and a game to correct.
  • Fire 1

Bad habits take more than an off-season and a game to correct.

Yeah I know that, just everything that could go wrong kinda did at the worst times.