Screw you complainers

knapplc

Funny....before Osborne went on epic run, folks wanted to run him outta town. Examples of what was being said....game has passed him by, we are too slow, cant win against florida teams and my favorite, we dont have the athletes. He made adjustments...how did that work out. And to be 100% honest, Nebraska dominated opponents they were suppose to dominate. UCLA gave us fits back in the day.

Didnt Iowa state beat us in 1992? No one remembers the games we lost because we all have rose colored glasses on thinking about the mid 90's. I get it. But keep this in perspective. If you dont think we are on our way back to becoming a solid team, go be a hawkeye fan.

Dude,, we've been a solid team for awhile now. We need to take that next step.

This Billy C/Cosgrove system/staff ain't gonna cut it.

What is so "solid" about needed a fluke play from Ameer to beat McNeese State? Or a hail mary to beat Northwestern? There are many more examples but I don't feel like typing all of them, the point is that Bo's luck covered up how poorly coached his teams were. The loss yesterday was about execution, not philosophy. It isn't the coaching staffs fault that our DB's brainfarted and didn't knock down a hail mary. Or that the best kicker they were given by Bo can't make anything past an extra point. If you want to say that we should have went for it, that is a fair criticism. But when you criticise them for it remember that Bo did the same thing and cost us the VT game in Blackburg by not going for it on 4th and 1 when Helu was averaging 6 yards per carry in that game.

As for your other post, Nobody on Bo's coaching staff is more qualified than the coaches that we have now. The construction of his staff was just as much as his undoing here than his temper or W/L record was. He only hired yes men who would stroke his fragile ego, most of them who didn't like to recruit and now we see the result of those efforts since we don't have a difference maker on offense like Ameer or any experienced LB's.

Winning 70% of your games is better than losing.

Every.

Single.

Day.

I'm not wild about the past staff, but I'd rather give some up and comers a shot over a bunch of guys who are experienced in mediocrity. Callahans staff had a lot of experience too, and if anyone took an honest look at this staff and Bill's, you'd see a lot of similarities.

If you took all the coaches on this staff and the former staff and had 2 mash them together to make 1 staff, there are 3 possibly 4 I'd put in that made up staff. The rest would come from the former.

Funny....before Osborne went on epic run, folks wanted to run him outta town. Examples of what was being said....game has passed him by, we are too slow, cant win against florida teams and my favorite, we dont have the athletes. He made adjustments...how did that work out. And to be 100% honest, Nebraska dominated opponents they were suppose to dominate. UCLA gave us fits back in the day.

Didnt Iowa state beat us in 1992? No one remembers the games we lost because we all have rose colored glasses on thinking about the mid 90's. I get it. But keep this in perspective. If you dont think we are on our way back to becoming a solid team, go be a hawkeye fan.

Dude,, we've been a solid team for awhile now. We need to take that next step.

This Billy C/Cosgrove system/staff ain't gonna cut it.

LOL, so since you are essentially comparing systems....

How did this system work out for Pete Carroll at USC?

I'm assuming that you realize that Riley wasn't on Carroll's staff.

And I don't care what worked in the past at USC. We're nothing like them, what does concern me is that it was tried here before, failed miserably, and the program still hasn't fully recovered.

• Fire 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only way this program will ever return to prominence is we we shell out the $ to hire an established big name coach/recruiter who will be able to lure prime recruits to Lincoln. Don't get me wrong, I like Coach Riley, and I support him. He seems like a nice guy. But as far as being an elite coach, he's not.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only way this program will ever return to prominence is we we shell out the $ to hire an established big name coach/recruiter who will be able to lure prime recruits to Lincoln. Don't get me wrong, I like Coach Riley, and I support him. He seems like a nice guy. But as far as being an elite coach, he's not.

But...he's really nice....and a Prius driver..which is even better than riding horses because they eat grass and fart methane which is unfriendly to the planet and makes him even more... you know, nice. :cowbell:

• Fire 1

Why is this the only way? It's certainly a way, but, coaches at schools with less resources, less talent, less fan support, less booster support and lesser facilities have all found ways to win conference titles; which, I would argue, is the reasonable goal most of the Husker fan base would be overjoyed to achieve right now.

Therefore, it stands to reason you DON'T need a big name coach/recruiter to win at UNL.

I don't mean to single you out, GOAT, but this drivel flooding in from all corners of the fan base is about as interesting as watching tar dry on the road. Mike Riley may not be the guy to get us to our goals. But, he's been given a chance, and he deserves to make the most of it with our support.

• Fire 4

Therefore, it stands to reason you DON'T need a big name coach/recruiter to win at UNL.

I disagree. The way that college football has changed and with some of the built in disadvantages we have in Lincoln, I think it's even more important to have that coach. Heck, we had 2 hall of famers back to back, and not one since. Look where we are.

I hope that nice Mike is that good, but many of us have serious reservations as to whether he is.

• Fire 1

Why is this the only way? It's certainly a way, but, coaches at schools with less resources, less talent, less fan support, less booster support and lesser facilities have all found ways to win conference titles; which, I would argue, is the reasonable goal most of the Husker fan base would be overjoyed to achieve right now.

I don't mean to single you out, GOAT, but this drivel flooding in from all corners of the fan base is about as interesting as watching tar dry on the road. Mike Riley may not be the guy to get us to our goals. But, he's been given a chance, and he deserves to make the most of it with our support.

I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong, mind you; this is just my opinion. I just don't think that Nebraska has the big name value that it once had -- it doesn't have the allure/swagger factor that many other current top programs have. The location and weather and general "plainness" don't help, either. There's really nothing that makes Nebraska stand out. Sure, we can get a 4-star here and there, but to be truthful, if you ask the average football fan who Mike Riley is, I'd venture to say that outside of Nebraska, most people wouldn't know.

I disagree. The way that college football has changed and with some of the built in disadvantages we have in Lincoln, I think it's even more important to have that coach. Heck, we had 2 hall of famers back to back, and not one since. Look where we are.

I hope that nice Mike is that good, but many of us have serious reservations as to whether he is.

Well, Bob was kind of a splash hire for the time. Tom wasn't and it took a long time for him to win te big one. Not exaxtly the same thing.

Now a days if you don't produce a conference title in 3-4 years you are at high risk.

If only we would have played a team we would have wiped the floor with, then the streak would still be in tact. :sarcasm:

I watched the game again, and I have to say, Nebraska played their hearts out. BYU is the team that has beaten strong teams. In all actuality, a loss in the last second means more than if we would have won by one. Yes we would be 1-0, but as fans, we know the team has some work to do. BYU is a beast on both sides of the field, and there were other factors included, wind, temperature, not to mention the thin amount of back up players due to injury. Nebraska will rebound. As fans, we need to rally behind the team win or lose.

• Fire 5

I particularly dislike the post win whining, but what ya gonna do?

The game was up for either team to grab and, unfortunately for us, they grabbed it. Whiners will whine, not much anybody can do about it. Haven't read the "bring back BOP" sentiments and will not--I think that is an utterly ridiculous line of thought. Besides, BOP has rejoined the Youngstown Mob, so he's all hooked up. They actually put up some pints vs Pitt the other day which I thought was fairly impressive.

I think we'll have a decent year: worse case, 8 wins, best case, maybe 9, lol. Enjoy the ride, sports fans.

but to be truthful, if you ask the average football fan who Mike Riley is, I'd venture to say that outside of Nebraska, most people wouldn't know.

I would say this is wrong. The average Nebraska fan might have that impression because many of us had no idea who he was.

Not that name stature is very important. As the HC of Nebraska now, everyone will know who he is. This would be true even had the hire been, say, our version of Derek "Who???" Dooley.

I stayed away from the board for this very reason.

I do not have a problem with constructive criticism but any Husker fan who did not come away with some positive feeling for the future, did not watch or see the development as the game went along.

OMG; we actually made halftime adjustments!

The sideline did not look like a sandlot full of children being scolded by their abusive parents.

I did not see the "Deer in the headlights" look from our coaching staff.

Our coaches were actually coaching not screaming in the ear hole of the players on side line, going over what the players are seeing on the field and what they can do to improve.

Did we lose? Yes Was it a hard loss to take? Yes all losses are hard to accept, especially when we shanked 2 field goals, missed out on a precious opportunity to get that last first down and seeing the Hail Mary in the last second with nobody up front.

Just an interesting side note if it has not been mentioned in other post. Coincidence? That Hail Mary was basically in the same area we had ours in the NW game! Thrown by a backup quarterback! The quarterback wore the #12 uniform!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this game, even in a loss showed me some positive signs for the future! IMO: I say if Bo was coaching this game we would have lost by 20+, had to endure Bo's response of "you were there, you seen the game" at his post game presser and continued to be ashamed of our sideline circus show that was viewed by millions.

I say "Go Big Red" and thanks Coach Riley. Here :waste is to a bright future!

• Fire 5