What Did We Learn: BYU Edition

Hammerhead

I don't blame our DBs for the horrible pass coverage but give BYU and their 7' tall WRs credit along with the QBs that knew how to get them the ball. Kind of hard to defend a guy that has 6-8" on you and a QB that will put the ball where theirs guys can go up and get it. I was actually surprised that we didn't have more P.I calls on us.

The o line is what I expected....not very good. But bo left the cupboard pretty bare. Oh and reeves cant snap the ball worth crap.

That really stood out to me. His snaps had a friggin' arch to them. 3 damn yards in the air and they had an arch.

But at least what he lacks in trajectory he more than made up for with a lack of accuracy....

Good:

• Dedrick Young has the makings of a star
  • We are lucky to have Keith Williams teaching these receivers
  • Screen plays. We've been asking for them, and we finally see how well they work. All of those to set up that fake screen to Reilly at the end was beautiful. Better throw by Armstrong and it's a touchdown.
  • The tackling. Even Chris Spielman pointed out how much better we were tackling compared to our teams in the past
  • 3rd down defense, held BYU 3/14 on third down.
  • We didn't embarrass ourselves. Sure we lost on a hail mary, but that's not exactly embarrassing. No coaching meltdowns, we didn't get destroyed on national TV like we've been accustomed to these last couple seasons. It was refreshing in that sense.

Bad:

• Offensive line. I know it was very bad, but I'm willing to chalk it up as having 4 new guys in there. Have to give them time to gel.
  • Prevent defense....I hate this defense more than anything. I went to USF and Skip Holtz ran it there as well, lost so many games because of it.
  • The running game. This goes with the offensive line, we need to get Tommy Armstrong involved in the running game more though.
  • Penalties, the refs were infuriating, that hands to the face call needs an explanation along with the no call on Sutton. But, 12 penalties is way way too many.
  • Defending mobile QB's. I know, even Alabama has trouble with mobile QB's, a lot of teams in college do that's what makes them so special. However this game looks a lot uglier if Taysom Hill doesn't get hurt. He was killing us with his legs.
  • Fire 1

I think Armstrong is great player but he is not the QB if we want a championship team. Two intentional grounding flags, not running when he should, throwing off the back foot, thinking too long before throwing, etc. He is a great runner and leader. As long as we continue to play QBs like him, we will have trouble recruiting and develping really good ones

I don't blame our DBs for the horrible pass coverage but give BYU and their 7' tall WRs credit along with the QBs that knew how to get them the ball. Kind of hard to defend a guy that has 6-8" on you and a QB that will put the ball where theirs guys can go up and get it. I was actually surprised that we didn't have more P.I calls on us.

Their WRs looked like they were pulling plows. Maybe once they got moving they had some speed. Probably should have jammed them making it a little more difficult for them to get started.

The o line is what I expected....not very good. But bo left the cupboard pretty bare. Oh and reeves cant snap the ball worth crap.

That really stood out to me. His snaps had a friggin' arch to them. 3 damn yards in the air and they had an arch.

But at least what he lacks in trajectory he more than made up for with a lack of accuracy....

That stood out to me too. Hard to get the ball out quickly from the shotgun or pistol when your QB has to bring a high snap down. I hope Cavanaugh was watching those snaps and takes some time to make sure Reeves irons that out.

Good:

• Dedrick Young has the makings of a star
  • We are lucky to have Keith Williams teaching these receivers
  • Screen plays. We've been asking for them, and we finally see how well they work. All of those to set up that fake screen to Reilly at the end was beautiful. Better throw by Armstrong and it's a touchdown.
  • The tackling. Even Chris Spielman pointed out how much better we were tackling compared to our teams in the past
  • 3rd down defense, held BYU 3/14 on third down.
  • We didn't embarrass ourselves. Sure we lost on a hail mary, but that's not exactly embarrassing. No coaching meltdowns, we didn't get destroyed on national TV like we've been accustomed to these last couple seasons. It was refreshing in that sense.

Bad:

• Offensive line. I know it was very bad, but I'm willing to chalk it up as having 4 new guys in there. Have to give them time to gel.
  • Prevent defense....I hate this defense more than anything. I went to USF and Skip Holtz ran it there as well, lost so many games because of it.
  • The running game. This goes with the offensive line, we need to get Tommy Armstrong involved in the running game more though.
  • Penalties, the refs were infuriating, that hands to the face call needs an explanation along with the no call on Sutton. But, 12 penalties is way way too many.
  • Defending mobile QB's. I know, even Alabama has trouble with mobile QB's, a lot of teams in college do that's what makes them so special. However this game looks a lot uglier if Taysom Hill doesn't get hurt. He was killing us with his legs.

Well said. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Loved seeing the DL in position, knuckle down, helmet up and ready to go immediately. Don't recall seeing them standing, slowly getting into position after BYU lined up.

McMullen and Gangwish might be powerful ends and bust their tails out there, but they lack the quickness and elusiveness you would hope to have at defensive end. Just didn't see them as a force to deal with. :/

The Huskers looked organized out there. Didn't see a lot of players scrambling around to find the position to be in pre-snap. They looked collected and ready to go each play on both sides, regardless if it was a successful play or not. They just need to carry out the play a little better (ah hem, execute) which should happen if they are going to improve upon this game.

Overall, I was just reminded all the idiots that fall under the umbrella of "Husker fans". I enjoy Huskerboard so much but with so many idiots, trolls, so-called fans, etc, ... that flock to this board ... I've learned once again that there is really no need to get involved in many conversations as the NUTS come out after big wins or losses with the extremes.

I really enjoyed the game. I look forward to the next Husker game and the ones that might mean something.