Backup QB

He had 10 consecutive incompletons, completed less than 20% of his passes in the 2nd quarter, and had two of the most ridiculous intentional grounding penalties I have ever seen. In addition, if he doesn't grossly under throw the pump fake pass on the last drive, it goes for a TD, and we win. He also continued his problem with locking onto the primary receiver. TA is a marginal BCS passing QB. BYU is a bad pass defense team. They gave up on average 270 yards/game in 2014.

Actually, this was one of his better throws of the day. First rule of throwing the bomb to a wide open receiver is COMPLETE THE PASS! Make sure you at least get the yards you can - don't try to get cute and overthrow him. It would have been nice to get a TD out of it but it really would have sucked to not get anything out of that play. He threw that ball exactly like he should have. It should have won us the game.
come on. That was no where near a bomb.

No where near? It was for 27 yards. What is your criteria for a "bomb"?

No matter what that is, when you start getting that far....complete the pass. He didn't "grossly under throw" the ball either. The receiver had to slow up slightly. In fact, he never stopped running until he was tackled.

Without a doubt, we need to be more productive offensively. We need to average 38 tp 42 points per game scoring and hold our opponents to under 20. Rushing yards gain are worth about twice as much in productive value as passing yards so if we are to gain 300 yards rushing and 150 passing, we would be much more likely to win the game than if we had 300 yards passing and 150 yards rushing. I always felt a good rule of thumb was to say that the first 150 yards of each didn't count for much as a team with under 300 yards of total offense loses about 90% of the time. Teams that pass for 400 yards win a majority of the time no doubt but teams that rush 400 yards win almost always! These basics seem to me to be true in all parts of the country, although I would venture a guess that rushing yards are more valuable than passing yards in outdoor stadiums where weather (wind, rain, snow, cold, wet, etc) factors in to a greater degree. But the team that runs the ball the best wins most of the games, no matter what the offensive scheme or style. In my opinion and I believe the statistics would give strong evidence of this. I don't Riley dislikes running the ball per se but has found over the years that it is easier to assemble a team with some offensive capability with less talent in the passing game. Strong running takes strong, dominant line play whereas short quick passes can be thrown around with minimal offensive line play. One might not win but at least one can gain some first downs and score a two or three TDs a game. also, a good thrower and couple quick and shifty receivers can provide some entertaining football plays for the crowd.

Do you know how many teams last year averaged over 38 points per game and gave up less than 20 per game? One - Mchigan St 43.0/19.9.

Although Georgia (43.1/21.3) and TCU (46.5/20.3) were close.

So basically, that threshold is unrealistic.

• Fire 1

I think there's a few things skewing the run/pass ratio. One is the 7 straight passes to try to put points on the board before halftime. Another is much of the screen game is really considered a part of our running game. It just shows up as pass plays on the stat sheet.

I like the scheme. Reminds me of the Wisconsin offense w/ Russell Wilson. We just don't have the offensive line, running backs, and quarterback that team had.

Really our strength right now seems to be the passing game.

By the same token, wouldn't that also skew a 58% completion percentage that is being touted?

I think there's a few things skewing the run/pass ratio. One is the 7 straight passes to try to put points on the board before halftime. Another is much of the screen game is really considered a part of our running game. It just shows up as pass plays on the stat sheet.

I like the scheme. Reminds me of the Wisconsin offense w/ Russell Wilson. We just don't have the offensive line, running backs, and quarterback that team had.

By the same token, wouldn't that also skew a 58% completion percentage that is being touted?

No

He had 10 consecutive incompletons, completed less than 20% of his passes in the 2nd quarter, and had two of the most ridiculous intentional grounding penalties I have ever seen. In addition, if he doesn't grossly under throw the pump fake pass on the last drive, it goes for a TD, and we win. He also continued his problem with locking onto the primary receiver. TA is a marginal BCS passing QB. BYU is a bad pass defense team. They gave up on average 270 yards/game in 2014.

Actually, this was one of his better throws of the day. First rule of throwing the bomb to a wide open receiver is COMPLETE THE PASS! Make sure you at least get the yards you can - don't try to get cute and overthrow him. It would have been nice to get a TD out of it but it really would have sucked to not get anything out of that play. He threw that ball exactly like he should have. It should have won us the game.

No matter what that is, when you start getting that far....complete the pass. He didn't "grossly under throw" the ball either. The receiver had to slow up slightly. In fact, he never stopped running until he was tackled.

He ran some after the catch, so it wasn't 27 yards down field. Reilly was open by 5 yards. It was not a good throw for a Power5 QB. I agree that that play should have won us the game. All we had to do was manage the clock.

TA's strength is his legs. If he can't run we are doomed unless we have a capable backup.

Sure. As far as I can tell he completed about 62% if we discount the running back screens. So it skews it a little, but not a great deal.

He ran some after the catch, so it wasn't 27 yards down field. Reilly was open by 5 yards. It was not a good throw for a Power5 QB. I agree that that play should have won us the game. All we had to do was manage the clock.

TA's strength is his legs. If he can't run we are doomed unless we have a capable backup.

So one completion that went for 27 yards is not a "Power5 QB" throw makes TA automatically "not a Power5 QB".

However, his timing throughout the game utilizing Langsdorf excellent use of the Triangle concept through coverage reads gets completely ignored? Not all "Power5 QB"s are capable of making those pre-snap reads, then reading coverage and making a good throw to a guy who hasn't turned his head.

Really??? I have seen NFL QBs make a similar throw.

Wanting to keep TA in one piece I can understand, but Langsdorf's idea that the pocket is the safest place for him to be bothers me. The admitted troubles/concerns about the offensive line have turned the pocket into a sausage grinder with 300lb teeth, not the safe QB cocoon Langsdorf thinks it should be. As evidence look to the boot TA was sporting after being stepped on in last wks game.

All admit TA's strength is his running ability so I would rather see him get outside the pocket and beyond the line where I would say he has an even chance against a LB, or safety, and an advantage size-wise over most DB's. I think more rollouts and option look passes keep him out of most of the trouble.

As much as TA's legs are part of who he is as a player, it's not what the coaches want from him. Langsdorf specifically told TA that he didn't want him to be a running back, and to stay in the pocket and make a good pass. I would much prefer seeing them utilize Cross a lot more. It seemed that whenever they gave him touches last weekend he was doing something good. They also need to dump that jet sweep, it was so obvious when that was coming and I couldn't believe they ran it on a that last 3rd down attempt at the end of the game. Minus the 2nd qrt. TA looked pretty decent throwing the ball, but that 2nd qrt was about as ugly as I've seen from a QB perspective. He missed about 3 wide open passes that would have given us first downs and kept the drive going, not to mention the grounding plays and the spin backwards that he does when he gets pressure, putting him about 20 yards deep from the LOS.

So, naturally, we lost because we didn't run the ball 50 times

Nebraska lost because they had no idea on how to go about converting a 3rd and 1. It doesn't matter how many times a team runs the ball, it matters how many times they run the ball well.
Zatechka described a drill on doctalk that Tom had them run. Start at the 5 or 7 yard line (he couldn't remember exactly) and the offense had 4 downs to score. Repeat until offense scores. He said that it helped both the offense and defense a lot.

The safest place for TA is in the pocket. It is how plays are designed and are to be run efficiently and effectively. Footwork, pocket presence and balance it is an art. Shoot P. Manning and T. Brady are virtuosos in this medium . TA understands this, IMO , qb runs should not be designed so much as stagnant but as intuitive to the happenstance of each play.