Secondary Play

I don't know if our guys are being coached differently this year but it doesn't seem like our corners are looking back for the ball. There have been a number of catches that could have been broken up if the CB was playing the ball.

That's been a complaint for years.
  • Fire 1

I don't know if our guys are being coached differently this year but it doesn't seem like our corners are looking back for the ball. There have been a number of catches that could have been broken up if the CB was playing the ball.

Hate singling out a guy but Davie isn't good enough to be on an island. Poor coverage like we saw today will lose us games against better competition.

Pelinis d had the same issues. Hagg got burnt twice in '09 once against Iowa state and again against mizzou.

That's been a complaint for years.

Well than lets hope Riley and Stewart can get it fixed because wow that's gonna be brutal throughout the year if they don't

Let's go with that old favorite, we were going vanilla on D. We'll do crazy blitz packages to get more pressure on him so it won't matter if his receivers are open. I feel better already.

With this staff and its experience I can actually believe this. Maybe experimenting a little knowing it wouldn't cost us tonight. The previous staff, I fell for that crap for years until I realized that's all they were capable off......

Nope. It is what it is.

Huge downgrade in DB coach.

I really like Davie, but he has taken a tremendous step back.

the reason this stands out is because last year it was sell out to stop the pass...a lot of 2 deep safeties. This year it's corners on an island and one safety dropping to the box and one deep. If the qb moves the deep safety with his eyes, then you've got a one on one shot. Their qb made some very nice throws deep at the expense of Davie

Davie had good coverage and there were some good throws, but he does not look for the ball. A couple of these could have been picked off.

I think we're just used to seeing 5 in the box with 6 defensive backs. I mean, often times the 2nd LB was Gerry in place of a LB. Coverage, Coverage, Coverage. Keep everyone in front. Meanwhile teams would carve our defense running the ball. :hmmph

The other thing is, it's not as uncommon for teams to throw for 325 yards in a game and still not win. It is more difficult to win when the opponent is running over you, moving the chains, and wearing out a defense. I'm a little concerned about the secondary, but not too much. I'm enjoying our run defense more to be honest.

• Fire 1

Let's go with that old favorite, we were going vanilla on D. We'll do crazy blitz packages to get more pressure on him so it won't matter if his receivers are open. I feel better already.

With this staff and its experience I can actually believe this. Maybe experimenting a little knowing it wouldn't cost us tonight. The previous staff, I fell for that crap for years until I realized that's all they were capable off......

Yep, same here..right up to the end I kept thinking...."the coaches are holding back until the right moment". That moment never came.

One thing we need to do this week is clean up our secondary play! You know Miami is going to be watching that during film sessions this week. Kaaya is no slouch when it comes to throwing the rock.

I have to agree our secondary seems a bit of a weak link. But I am not seeing a lot of pressure from our D-Line either.....and those two elements are co-dependent in lots of ways..

One thing we need to do this week is clean up our secondary play! You know Miami is going to be watching that during film sessions this week. Kaaya is no slouch when it comes to throwing the rock.

I have to agree our secondary seems a bit of a weak link. But I am not seeing a lot of pressure from our D-Line either.....and those two elements are co-dependent in lots of ways..

I agree with this. The DL has to get some pressure and make the QB suffer. The blitzes have got to get home. With no real pressure, with man coverage, even the best DB's will suffer. You can only cover for so long. In the case of Davie, he just seemed to continually allow the receiver to get behind him. If the DB's played more physical at the line that would slow them up and allow the DL to get there. Miami will be a test as Kayaa is good. MSU and Cook the same.