Davie?

I agree with what everyone's saying. Daniel Davie seems to be in position every play but the ball just finds its way into the receiver's hands. He's not a bad player. He's an awesome athlete and a good player. That's so tough getting yanked from the game like that. I hope he doesn't let that get to him.

Daniel, I support you brotha.

• Fire 3

He was benched due to poor play.

Do we win the game if he doesn't start?

I don't know. Maybe? We did better once he was benched, that's for sure. But the kid has skills, and I can't help but wonder what's going on with him. He's not some clueless fawn out there, no matter how much he looks like it.

Miami came out punching early. Brad Yippee-KiYaa was hitting everything. Do we shut him down with a different corner, with the same lack of pressure? I don't think so.

I think it was the right move to bench him, but I can't fathom why we needed to. He's better than that.

The biggest surprise from him IMO is his biggest problem is getting beat deep. He was All-Class champ in 2010 in the 100m and 200m runs, I watched him run the prelims. Dude is fast.
Didn't Davie suffer a bad injury (torn ACL?) early at NU? Also, some guys can be track fast but not football fast.

Both are tue, but last year when Miami's fans were touting Dorsett and ? (IDR the other WR) saying how fast they were Davie did a really good job in sticking to them. I think Dorsett only had like 49 recieving yards and he was a first round draft pick. Maybe the change in scheme changed things. Also, didn't Davie have an injury this offseason?
Pelini's scheme was very beneficial to DB's. He wanted to make it difficult for QB's to pass. Banker's scheme is completely opposite.

Pelini's scheme had Randy Gregory, who got a hell of a lot more pressure on QBs than anybody we saw yesterday.

Lack of QB pressure makes it hard on any DB. Ever.

Mav, you're dead on. We're getting nickel and dimed on the easy stuff because our DBs don't want to get burned deep. That IS a potential flaw in this defense.

I agree with what everyone's saying. Daniel Davie seems to be in position every play but the ball just finds its way into the receiver's hands. He's not a bad player. He's an awesome athlete and a good player. That's so tough getting yanked from the game like that. I hope he doesn't let that get to him.

Daniel, I support you brotha.

I think he's almost in position. But usually still a half step behind, and playing "catch up". And when you're trying to stay in position you can't turn and look for the ball.

There's a big difference between Nebraska Class B sprinter speed and Miami wide reciever speed, and right now I think guys are exploiting that. Are they bumping at all at the line of scrimmage or are they giving a big cushion (which allows the receiver to run right by)?

Yeah, I wouldn't say he has been in position. He was getting worked against South Alabama and got worked again against Miami.

I hear the criticisms about scheme and some of that really is fair. However, there will also be plays every game where it's the corner and the receiver deep down field in a 1-on-1 situation. And we need better play from our corners than we have gotten in those situations.

Miami QB Brad Kaaya, as many predicted, went after Daniel Davie immediately, and with so much success the senior was pulled in the first half. That should make it clear that Nebraska’s problems in the secondary go far beyond Davie, evidenced by the success Kaaya continued to have all day. “It’s not an intermediate play or a short play, it’s a big play that’s been bothering us right now,” Banker said. “We need to eliminate that, the big play.”

LJS

He was benched due to poor play.

Do we win the game if he doesn't start?

I don't know. Maybe? We did better once he was benched, that's for sure. But the kid has skills, and I can't help but wonder what's going on with him. He's not some clueless fawn out there, no matter how much he looks like it.

Miami came out punching early. Brad Yippee-KiYaa was hitting everything. Do we shut him down with a different corner, with the same lack of pressure? I don't think so.

I think it was the right move to bench him, but I can't fathom why we needed to. He's better than that.

The biggest surprise from him IMO is his biggest problem is getting beat deep. He was All-Class champ in 2010 in the 100m and 200m runs, I watched him run the prelims. Dude is fast.
Didn't Davie suffer a bad injury (torn ACL?) early at NU? Also, some guys can be track fast but not football fast.

Both are tue, but last year when Miami's fans were touting Dorsett and ? (IDR the other WR) saying how fast they were Davie did a really good job in sticking to them. I think Dorsett only had like 49 recieving yards and he was a first round draft pick. Maybe the change in scheme changed things. Also, didn't Davie have an injury this offseason?
Pelini's scheme was very beneficial to DB's. He wanted to make it difficult for QB's to pass. Banker's scheme is completely opposite.

Pelini's scheme had Randy Gregory, who got a hell of a lot more pressure on QBs than anybody we saw yesterday.

Lack of QB pressure makes it hard on any DB. Ever.

Mav, you're dead on. We're getting nickel and dimed on the easy stuff because our DBs don't want to get burned deep. That IS a potential flaw in this defense.

It all comes down to the play of the DL. Missing VV was a huge loss for the game, they also need better play from the DE spots. Its the same on the otherside of the ball. The big guys in the trench win you games. When the DL gets pressure it puts stress on the QB & doesn't give him time to pick you a part like the defense has been the last couple weeks.

CB issues are historically associated with lack of confidence. Once a CB is lacking confidence, it takes a looonnnngg time, or some major events to get it back. This is a fact. While rolling help over top would help his overall performance. You are going to see a lack of confidence in all areas of his game. He needs to regain his swagger back.

Is an adjustment issue, plain and simple. To fix it they need to move around a couple of people. I'd start with moving banker to the unemployment line, then bring Gene Chizik over and dress him in husker gear.

I feel confident that this would solve a lot of the issues We are looking at on defense.

About firing Banker....

Nebraska held Miami to 19 points after Davie was benched. How was this not the proper defensive adjustment that should cost a D-Coordinator his job? Unless you fire him for making the decision 3 series too late?

• Fire 1

Davie should have been benched long before this. If you watched any of the last 3 games you could see how bad this kid was getting beat. The adjustments made at corner were instantly noticeable. Byu was beating him and Miami was destroying him.. Miami knew exactly who to go to from the very first play. I hope they stay with the new CB and bring Davie in on nickle situations if they have to.. The LB core is young and were getting exposed. Miami was just flat out faster than the entire team to start that game. I thought the defense adjusted well and TA was playing a really good game, 1 bad decision at the end.

• Fire 1