At what point do we stop bringing up Bo to defend Riley?

And Pelini brought the "us against the world" mentality too.

My take on that is that many Nebraska fans saw a lot more of this than actually existed. Exhibit A would be the trashing of Kenny Bell here in a thread by some because he didn't turn on Pelini to suit their tastes. Those people reminded me of a bitter divorcee that gets mad at the kids for not hating daddy as much as she does.

• Fire 1

Pelini brought Lewis to Nebraska. Swing & a miss kimosabe

At what stage is Lewis responsible for his own behavior?

Also, if it was a mistake for Pelini to bring Lewis into the program (and I concede that point after last week), is it also a mistake for Riley to keep him on the team after he quits...and let him remain a captain?

I'm not one to think Lewis should be off the team for going on a pissy tirade. If HuskerBoard banned people who went on public tirades, this board would have one member, Roxy, and it would be a recipes site.

Pelini wasn't wrong to bring Lewis here, Lewis was a bit wrong to go all hot-head on his social media post, Riley wasn't wrong to not come down too hard on Lewis. I wish that stuff had never been posted, but overall I think this situation is being blown out of proportion.

Mostly, I think referring to Pelini as "408" is dumber than anything. That can stop any time.

• Fire 2

Dennis Erickson, aside from the one year they went 11-1, had a winning percentage very close to Riley.

So taking away his BCS bowl season, Ericson's 3 remaining seasons give him a winning percentage pretty close to Riley?

I have a better idea. Let's also take away all 6 of Riley's losing seasons at OSU, then he'll have an even better winning percentage than Ericson (minus his best season).

If you don't take away any seasons, Ericson had a .646 winning percentage at OSU. Riley's was .538.

My take on that is that many Nebraska fans saw a lot more of this than actually existed. Exhibit A would be the trashing of Kenny Bell here in a thread by some because he didn't turn on Pelini to suit their tastes. Those people reminded me of a bitter divorcee that gets mad at the kids for not hating daddy as much as she does.

X2

Pelini provides the context for every conversation about Riley. The two will always be tied at the hip. It's not an excuse, it's a circumstance.

In what ways other than recruits? And whoever answers, don't get snippy. I'm asking in a polite curious manner... for context.

Let's say you dated a girl for seven years. Her impact on you will have changed you, molded you. Now you break up, and you have a new girlfriend. Those seven years with your ex don't just cease to exist.

The movie you went to with your buddy & his girlfriend, the one where you flipped out and spilled your soda on everyone, and they were all a little pissed but then everyone calmed down and laughed at you for being such a wuss, that doesn't un-happen. Your buddy and his girlfriend (now his fiancee, which sucks because she hates ZZ Top and 'Legs' is you & your buddy's favorite song) are going to remember that, and tell the story, and your ex's name will come up.

And you'll all remember that your ex talked with a bit of a lisp, but it was cute because you loved her but now it's kinda annoying and you'll all laugh about it, kinda awkwardly, because the breakup was rough.

Sure, your new girlfriend is great and has become good friends with your buddy's fiancee, and it's nice because your ex and her never really hung out. But it's still kinda weird to have those two be all chummy and every time they go shoe shopping together, you'll remember how it's different now.

You've still got that shirt your ex gave you, the one you wear on Saturday and hope never starts to get worn out around the neck because you hate shaving and it ruins your shirts, because this shirt is super-comfy. But every time you wear it you remember your ex, and at some point you know your new girlfriend is going to want to pitch it if she finds out your ex gave it to you.

Your family will like your new girlfriend, but inevitably your idiot cousin Jeff will get drunk and compare your girlfriend's butt to your ex's. And your other cousin will tell Jeff to shut his pie hole and complain that he's always getting drunk at Thanksgiving and making a scene. And grandma will burn the gravy because she's trying to whack everyone with that wooden spoon she used to spank your dad with when he was a kid.

It'll take a few years for everyone to stop bringing your ex up. Even when that mostly happens, at some point someone is going to mention her again, because even after you've been with your girlfriend for five years, you're still going to wear that shirt on Saturdays, and your buddy's wife (can you believe they actually got married?) will remember that your ex got it, and she'll tell your fiancee (she turned out to be the one) about it at her bachelorette party, and there'll be a huge fight because YOU SAID YOU GOT RID OF ALL HER STUFF! but eventually you'll make up and the wedding will go on.

And then six more years go by and your wife and your buddy's wife take a weekend to shop up in Chicago, and you go to the top shelf in your closet to pull out your Saturday shirt only to find that your wife has tossed it when you weren't looking. And you'll think of your ex again, and miss that shirt.

Aaa who you talking about here Knapplc, lol

GBR!!!

Uhm......we have two audio tapes of Bo spewing hate-filled rants that even shocked his detractors. There was no indication these were rare outbursts, but merely unfiltered Bo.

So no. In all likelihood the Bo that really existed was worse than the prick we saw spitting on assistant coaches on national tv.

I'm sure he could be perfectly enjoyable when he wanted, and always had the player's backs in the bunker.

But no.

You can see how Pelini's fanclub flock to these threads. It's comical. They use the disgust people expressed at Bo in his 7TH YEAR after embarrassing Nebraska both on and off the field FOR YEARS, and after hiring his unqualified friends and relatives as assistants, and telling the fans to F%$& off, and poisoning the players, and they're treating Riley's PAST RECORD at a Kansas State-level school as justification to treat Riley with the same contempt people express toward Pelini.

You can't argue with stupid like that. The only solution is to ignore them and hope they get tired and go back to the Youngstown State forums.

Well if you go to the Youngstown State forums, you'll immediately run into YSU fans questioning Bo Pelini three games into his career there, including what appears to be an open feud with his DC, his unwillingness to make adjustments allowing the Robert Morris running back to keep gashing the defense, and some posters wondering why Bo is acting kinda childish.

You'll find other posters defending Pelini, asking for patience as he installs a new system.

And others who give Pelini credit for a great offensive play, and blame the OC for a bad offense play in the same game.

Life goes on.

Everyone is different. I was a little more than upset and still am for that matter when Solich was fired. I was less than thrilled when Clownahan was hired considering the absolute mess he turned the Raiders into after Gruden had more than gift wrapped a pretty good team for him. However, I gave Clownahan a little bit of a chance. At least the chance I gave him was a bit longer than three games. It was game five against Texas Tech that I pretty much lost it. Getting absolutely throttled 70-10 to a Texas Tech team that had managed to lose to New Mexico just a few weeks prior was more than I could handle. I totally get why we're a divided fan base at this time. We've been here before. I have been excited about the Riley hire ever since it was announced. I have followed him for quite a few years now. He's more or less a "poor man's" Bill Snyder which is what I think we need because it's a bit unrealistic to think we will perennially pull in top 20 recruiting classes. So far, we have lost two games. One was lost to a very well coached team, while the other was lost to a more talented and athletic team. The one thing most all of us wanted during the Bo tenure was a competitive team. Barring any lopsided losses with the exception of Michigan State, I'm in Riley's corner for the long haul.

• Fire 5