How Would You Feel?

Like we fired a coach only to replace him with something just as bad. I would be wondering how long it will be until we get another chance to hire a great coach.

I was joking with friends this weekend and texting them "Can we fast-forward 3-4 years to when Riley quits/retires/is fired?"

I am not saying Bo should have been kept, and I want Riley to succeed, and am willing to give him some time to figure it out at NU. But, the first 4 games are not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the hire that was made. Between the game management, penalties, and defense, I am not impressed so far.

It's easy to fire a coach, it's pretty hard to hire the correct guy after a firing is made.

• Fire 1

Like we fired a coach only to replace him with something just as bad. I would be wondering how long it will be until we get another chance to hire a great coach.

I was joking with friends this weekend and texting them "Can we fast-forward 3-4 years to when Riley quits/retires/is fired?"

I am not saying Bo should have been kept, and I want Riley to succeed, and am willing to give him some time to figure it out at NU. But, the first 4 games are not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the hire that was made. Between the game management, penalties, and defense, I am not impressed so far.

It's easy to fire a coach, it's pretty hard to hire the correct guy after a firing is made.

You keep saying that but you also keep not doing that. Which is it going to be? Are you going to give him time, as you keep proclaiming? Or, are you ready to throw in the towel and get the next coach as you also keep alluding to?

• Fire 3

If we give up that many points to Minnesota then we aren't getting to 7 wins their offense is as bad as Nebraska's defense. But seven win overall seems about right now that non con is over and some of the dust has settled. This team has issues that won't be solved this season and will take a few recruiting classes to fix and more time with the staff.

You keep saying that but you also keep not doing that. Which is it going to be? Are you going to give him time, as you keep proclaiming? Or, are you ready to throw in the towel and get the next coach as you also keep alluding to?

Considering I am not the AD at NU, it's not like I am going to fire the guy. I am a fan of Nebraska, so it's not dependent on the coach. I will watch every game, cheer for a Husker victory each game, and go on with that.

My comments about the concerns that have popped up during the first 4 games in Riley's tenure are merely those. I will give credit when credit is due, and I will give criticism when that is due, as well. But, to not question anything that is going on with this year's team is not what I am going to do.

• Fire 1

Considering I am not the AD at NU, it's not like I am going to fire the guy. I am a fan of Nebraska, so it's not dependent on the coach. I will watch every game, cheer for a Husker victory each game, and go on with that.

My comments about the concerns that have popped up during the first 4 games in Riley's tenure are merely those. I will give credit when credit is due, and I will give criticism when that is due, as well. But, to not question anything that is going on with this year's team is not what I am going to do.

Hey, I'm not overly impressed with some things I've seen so far this year either. Penalties and our pass defense, pass rush, etc. have been terrible. And I think some of the reasons for that fall on the new staff. But, since I am actually going to give the new staff a reasonable amount of time to totally own what happens on the field, I'm not popping into every thread on this message board and complaining about every little thing that is not perfect and then half the time jumping to the conclusion that the wrong hire was made and it is only a matter of time before it will need to be done again. IMO, people who are doing that are not really allowing a reasonable amount of time for the transition to occur. Sorry, but a lot of your posts fall into this category IMO. Not that it matters what I think but just sayin' that's the way it appears to me.

There should be a difference between questioning what is happening (which I don't have a problem with) and jumping to the conclusion that Riley was a bad hire and won't work out.

• Fire 1

I don't know...how do you feel about me missing four doves in a row last week or not getting a good hook set on the biggest bass of my life last month?

The point being, nobody should feel proud or sad or angry over what someone else did or didn't do. You can't control it, so don't let it control you.

No charge for this therapy session, BTW... :rolleyes:

W's and L's are all that matter in the end (and the nature of the L's)

7-5 IMO would be a failure of a first season for Riley & Co, and if the trend continues as it has so far this season, this result or worse should be reason enough to clean house on the defensive side of the ball and get someone better for DC who will choose his own people to bring in as assistants.

JMO

Thats optimistic. This will be closer:

Illinois - W 38-27

Wisconsin - L 35-24

Minnesota - L 42-36

Northwestern - L 42-24

Purdue - W 31-17

Michigan St L 56-28

Rutgers - W 38-24

Iowa - L. 41-31

NW will not score 42.

...and Wisconsin will hang 70 on us like they always do.

I never thought I would see the day with Nebraska football where a victory against Minnesota would make the season a success. Hell, I am worried about Illinois.

Nebraska has become a second teir team in this conference. We will not even come close to Wisconsin, Michigan St. or Iowa unless someone does something about the secondary. This business about saying a fault can be "fixed" really has started to bother me. Bo used to say that in his press conferences in such an arrogant way and then no changes would happen. If something can be "fixed" that tells me it is a coaching problem to begin with and to then not "fix" it tells me our coaching was enept. It is just a word game to get the heat off.

This team has gone from a top five team every year to a top ten team, then it slipped into 15 or so. The last few years we have struggled to get into the top 20 and now we are no where to be seen in the rankings. And there is nothing that is going to change to bring us back to being the bad ass team of the conference like the old days. I don't know Mike Riley at all but it seems to me he is not what this program needs. What it needs is a young, energetic, fresh thinking guy from a Mid-America Confernce team to turn it around. We can sit back and say that it is hard to recruit in Nebraska, that we can't compete with the SEC recruiting but tell that to Boise State and Utah. And even Wisconsin for that matter. We are getting buried because the administration is living in the past. In Riley they thought they were getting Tom Osborne. He may be as nice of a guy as TO but he doesn't have the football mind that TO has.

I am blowing off steam here because I don't see the right mind-set from the AD to get Nebraska back to its glory days. Still living in the past and failing to recognize that the college football world has changed dramatically.