Riley Sucks, Who Do We Steal?

Hate to say this, but the image of Nebraska football is not what it was 20 years ago, not what it was 12 years ago! If we fire another coach, we better have the next "TO" in the closet already or this will never be close to what this program once was.

I don't know if you will ever see this program near the top. Several factors. Big 10 wanted our money, but in return put us in the worst division in college football. Would you come to Nebraska from the east coast to play Iowa, Wisky, Michigan St, NW, and Minnesota? Hell, no. Play at Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St and the others on that side. Even if Penn St sucks right now, they have a better chance of being better first. They play the Big boys every year. Not every 3 years. Its no coincidence that since joining the Big 10 we have gone down hill. That was the plan. That is Ohio St and Michigan's conference, and don't forget it.

Next coach has got to be someone who knows Nebraska, the tradition, the passion, the fan base expectations, and most of all, inspire our HS programs to produce the Beefeaters as lineman once again! Remember, the root of our most effective teams had home grown talent up front on both sides that bled Nebraska red, and it was contagious. Yes, that person is Scott Frost. I was against it last year, but he is the only one who can reclaim the glory and restore the state back to what was once one of the most feared programs in the nation.

• Fire 1

Yes, let's fire a coach five games into his tenure. If I recall correctly Bo started out 3-3 in his first year here and we finished the season out well.(except OU loss)

Time, Time, Time, it costs you games with management but it can lead to good things.

This staff showed complete and utter incompetence unlike anything we saw in Bo's first three losses. So no not buying the "needs more time" argument.

No coach will want to come here if you don't give them time. Even Urban Meyer himself said he wouldn't come here because of the crazy expectations, he's doing fine at Ohio St. now.

Yes, let's fire a coach five games into his tenure. If I recall correctly Bo started out 3-3 in his first year here and we finished the season out well.(except OU loss)

Time, Time, Time, it costs you games with management but it can lead to good things.

We are in a conference which has the following head coaches: Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio, Jim Harbaugh, Jerry Kill, Pat Fitzgerald, and James Franklin. Kevin Wilson also has Indiana, yes, INDI-FREAKING-ANA on the rise.

Do you believe Riley and this staff can/will field teams that can compete and beat these coaches' teams on a consistent basis? I sure don't (but of course, neither of us can predict the future, only hypothesize).

But beyond that, what this staff has done so far has tried ramming a square peg into a round hole. Hard. This is much more akin to what Callahan did in '04 than to what Bo did in '08 (and yes, I wanted Bo gone as bad as anyone).

Nebraska will not ever be a team that runs this pass happy pro/west coast style offense and has success with it. It is not our identity, it never has been, and it never will be (and please nobody bring up "But Osborne's offenses in the 70s!" Yeah, back when running a 'pro' style offense meant throwing it like 15 times a game).

Plus playing in a conference that experiences rough weather with other very physical teams that can ground and pound means we need to be able to ground and pound, too, and thwart it, something we used to do better than anyone.

This was Nebraska's identity. This was Nebraska's 'niche'. It needs to come back. We cannot and will not win championships running some generic nonsense hodgepodge or 'flavor of the week' offense relying on high star recruiting and facilities alone when this is what every other program in the nation does. We need that thing that makes us 'us'. Just my $.02

Yes so fire riley after year one. If he is bad after year three(I believe he got a three year deal)then I wouldn't mind letting him go after three years. This process isn't going to heal in year one, we have to believe in the coaches. Will you want riley fired if he gets us to go 8-4 and win a bowl game? Anyway no one will want to coach here if we fire a coach after year one. He hasn't been here one year and lets all crucify him already. Square peg in a round hole argument is not correct. We are better at passing than running. I want to run the ball a lot more too dont get me wrong but no one will want to coach here if we fire him after year one. Give it time.

I have a better chance of winning the lottery and then being struck by lightning than of this happening

Well we are being competitive in games with no blowouts which is what people wanted. These clsoe games will get on our side sometimes and why can't they be on our side later this year? Teams start 0-6 and go 6-6 how? They realize one or two losses isn't the end of the world and play their darn butts off to finish the season. 7 games reamaining tuff ones at home I believe in this coach and team. If you don't want to go cheer for 5-0 Iowa who beat Wiscy and Idk who else
I'd give you a participation ribbon for your post, but I don't have any.

Maybe next week.

Ok what coach wants to come here knowing they have one year to make it to a conference championship? Anyway Im gonna cheer for Mike Rileys cornhuskers whether you want to or not. If you want to cheer for wiscy next week be my guest I won't bash you for cheering for whoever you want to cheer for. I believe in this team but again it will take time. We can't fix everything in one season, but we will have to wait and see how well we do in the next three years, not half a year.

Edit: Thanks for the participation ribbon I will try harder next time.

Ask the anybody but Bo crowd. They had long list of guys that were better and guaranteed to come to Nebraska if offered.

Not sure why they didn't, but selective memory tho

We are in a conference which has the following head coaches: Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio, Jim Harbaugh, Jerry Kill, Pat Fitzgerald, and James Franklin. Kevin Wilson also has Indiana, yes, INDI-FREAKING-ANA on the rise.

Do you believe Riley and this staff can/will field teams that can compete and beat these coaches' teams on a consistent basis? I sure don't (but of course, neither of us can predict the future, only hypothesize).

But beyond that, what this staff has done so far has tried ramming a square peg into a round hole. Hard. This is much more akin to what Callahan did in '04 than to what Bo did in '08 (and yes, I wanted Bo gone as bad as anyone).

Nebraska will not ever be a team that runs this pass happy pro/west coast style offense and has success with it. It is not our identity, it never has been, and it never will be (and please nobody bring up "But Osborne's offenses in the 70s!" Yeah, back when running a 'pro' style offense meant throwing it like 15 times a game).

Plus playing in a conference that experiences rough weather with other very physical teams that can ground and pound means we need to be able to ground and pound, too, and thwart it, something we used to do better than anyone.

This was Nebraska's identity. This was Nebraska's 'niche'. It needs to come back. We cannot and will not win championships running some generic nonsense hodgepodge or 'flavor of the week' offense relying on high star recruiting and facilities alone when this is what every other program in the nation does. We need that thing that makes us 'us'. Just my $.02

Yes so fire riley after year one. If he is bad after year three(I believe he got a three year deal)then I wouldn't mind letting him go after three years. This process isn't going to heal in year one, we have to believe in the coaches. Will you want riley fired if he gets us to go 8-4 and win a bowl game? Anyway no one will want to coach here if we fire a coach after year one. He hasn't been here one year and lets all crucify him already. Square peg in a round hole argument is not correct. We are better at passing than running. I want to run the ball a lot more too dont get me wrong but no one will want to coach here if we fire him after year one. Give it time.

I have a better chance of winning the lottery and then being struck by lightning than of this happening

Well we are being competitive in games with no blowouts which is what people wanted. These clsoe games will get on our side sometimes and why can't they be on our side later this year? Teams start 0-6 and go 6-6 how? They realize one or two losses isn't the end of the world and play their darn butts off to finish the season. 7 games reamaining tuff ones at home I believe in this coach and team. If you don't want to go cheer for 5-0 Iowa who beat Wiscy and Idk who else

Cool story, bro. Keep trying to convince yourself that there's a snowball's chance in hell of this team winning anything this year.

If we win a bowl game you owe me something lol.

Guys, guys, guys. I'm seeing a lot of names tossed around here, and I respect all of your opinions. And while I like some of the names mentioned, such as AF's coach, GT's coach, and a few others, I just don't think those guys are going to excel at Nebraska. We need someone who is established and proven, who is well-known, and who can recruit. Those 3 things will lead us to the promised land, nothing else. Getting another small name (such as the ones I listed) who we THINK is a good coach, just because he runs an offensive style we like or whatever, isn't going to be enough. Gotta follow the Michigan/Alabama formula.

Hate to say this, but the image of Nebraska football is not what it was 20 years ago, not what it was 12 years ago! If we fire another coach, we better have the next "TO" in the closet already or this will never be close to what this program once was.

I don't know if you will ever see this program near the top. Several factors. Big 10 wanted our money, but in return put us in the worst division in college football. Would you come to Nebraska from the east coast to play Iowa, Wisky, Michigan St, NW, and Minnesota? Hell, no. Play at Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St and the others on that side. Even if Penn St sucks right now, they have a better chance of being better first. They play the Big boys every year. Not every 3 years. Its no coincidence that since joining the Big 10 we have gone down hill. That was the plan. That is Ohio St and Michigan's conference, and don't forget it.

Next coach has got to be someone who knows Nebraska, the tradition, the passion, the fan base expectations, and most of all, inspire our HS programs to produce the Beefeaters as lineman once again! Remember, the root of our most effective teams had home grown talent up front on both sides that bled Nebraska red, and it was contagious. Yes, that person is Scott Frost. I was against it last year, but he is the only one who can reclaim the glory and restore the state back to what was once one of the most feared programs in the nation.

Would agree. Doesn't "have to be" Scott Frost, but needs to be a guy who absolutely "gets" the Nebraska way. We haven't had that since Solich. Not Cally, Bo or Riley.

Being in the West sux. No annual Marquee games or matchup. We are becoming what I never thought we would. Average at best.

Recruiting to NU is hard, continue to lose and we will be in quick sand we will never get out of.

My list is:

1) Herman, he's a star and knows how to call a running game. Ran it 56 times today with Houston...yes he's turned the air raid cats into a power run team.

2) Mullen, wanted him to be hired this past offseason. Calls a power run from the spread, has turned Mississippi St to a pretty darn good program

3) Frost, Nebraska guy who I'm sure would've called a run on 3rd down today so that's an extra win right there.

4) Richt, Nebraska connections. Only knock on him is he seems to always fall flat once or twice a year. Not sure he can get us over the hump, may be a calmer Bo Pelini.

Eichorst hired Al Golden and Mike Riley.

'Nuff said.

Just in the interest of accuracy (I certainly don't want to be in the position of defending Eichorst the Total Pu&&y™), Golden was hired in December of 2010, Eichorst was hired the following spring.

Guys, guys, guys. I'm seeing a lot of names tossed around here, and I respect all of your opinions. And while I like some of the names mentioned, such as AF's coach, GT's coach, and a few others, I just don't think those guys are going to excel at Nebraska. We need someone who is established and proven, who is well-known, and who can recruit. Those 3 things will lead us to the promised land, nothing else. Getting another small name (such as the ones I listed) who we THINK is a good coach, just because he runs an offensive style we like or whatever, isn't going to be enough. Gotta follow the Michigan/Alabama formula.

Those guys are probably naming the coaches we have a realistic shot at landing. But I wouldn't be surprised if we land a big name coach it will take some time.

I'd give you a participation ribbon for your post, but I don't have any.

Maybe next week.

Ok what coach wants to come here knowing they have one year to make it to a conference championship? Anyway Im gonna cheer for Mike Rileys cornhuskers whether you want to or not. If you want to cheer for wiscy next week be my guest I won't bash you for cheering for whoever you want to cheer for. I believe in this team but again it will take time. We can't fix everything in one season, but we will have to wait and see how well we do in the next three years, not half a year.

Edit: Thanks for the participation ribbon I will try harder next time.

Ask the anybody but Bo crowd. They had long list of guys that were better and guaranteed to come to Nebraska if offered.

Not sure why they didn't, but selective memory tho

Well, what I DO know for a fact is that Ed Orgeron wanted to come here, and we made no effort to get him. Great coach, great recruiter, and yet we did nothing. LSU snatched him up and it's already paying dividends. But oh, I forgot -- he's not a "nice guy."