Riley Sucks, Who Do We Steal?

Richt is a class act and an ace recruiter. Knows what it takes to compete against elite SEC talent. Not to mention he's a Nebraska boy. Might be looking for a change to get out of the grind of the SEC.

Like him or not, Tressel has proven himself as a top coach and recruiter as well. He's won a national title. And he's available.

I'm fine w/ Chip Kelly as well. We need someone BIG TIME to attract attention and get this team turned around.

If you want another scrub, fine. You'll get the same results.

I completely agree, Mark Richt understands the Nebraska tradition. Tressel knows what it takes to win in the BIG Ten regardless of the past, and chip Kelly will soon leave the pros just like Saban and will be looking for a college job. If we pass on these then we will never see the light...our current coach will never be anything but a 500 type of guy. That is who he is and that is how he will retire. Expecting Riley to win championships is like expecting a lamb to beat a lion.

agree completely......

• Fire 1

None. I've completely changed my perspective about MR.

I would like to see him get 5 years. I want to see what he can do with just his recruits. If he does well, he better not retire till he's ready for the grave

its the roster situation discussion thats done this to you aint it?

Really makes your head go in circles when you think about things instead of kneejerking.

Count, I'm absolutely floored at those numbers. You're 100 percent correct.

What numbers? The propaganda coming from the AD, ala Steve Pederson back in '04? Sad. Another notch in the Callahan 2.0 belt.

You're looking for excuses because you just KNEW that Sub500 would come in and win championships immediately. I mean, everybody knew that Sub500 would all of a sudden NOT be sub .500 once he got here. There has to be a good excuse for the all-but-guaranteed success of the elite hire of Sub500 all of a sudden floundering into 2-4, amirite?

Who could have ever predicted that Mike Riley would ever lose any games at Nebraska???

Richt is a class act and an ace recruiter. Knows what it takes to compete against elite SEC talent. Not to mention he's a Nebraska boy. Might be looking for a change to get out of the grind of the SEC.

Like him or not, Tressel has proven himself as a top coach and recruiter as well. He's won a national title. And he's available.

I'm fine w/ Chip Kelly as well. We need someone BIG TIME to attract attention and get this team turned around.

I completely agree, Mark Richt understands the Nebraska tradition. Tressel knows what it takes to win in the BIG Ten regardless of the past, and chip Kelly will soon leave the pros just like Saban and will be looking for a college job. If we pass on these then we will never see the light...our current coach will never be anything but a 500 type of guy. That is who he is and that is how he will retire. Expecting Riley to win championships is like expecting a lamb to beat a lion.

I am beginning to doubt if he can even make it to 500 in the BIG

Glad to see that someone else besides me "gets" it.

Way too many names in this thread of unproven young up-and-comers.

You're looking for excuses because you just KNEW that Sub500 would come in and win championships immediately. I mean, everybody knew that Sub500 would all of a sudden NOT be sub .500 once he got here. There has to be a good excuse for the all-but-guaranteed success of the elite hire of Sub500 all of a sudden floundering into 2-4, amirite?

Despite the fact that you're a little bit obnoxious with the way you deliver your message, you make some relatively good points. And you're actually probably in a fairly small minority of Husker fans, which is the funny part - You're in the crowd that actually *doesn't* have unrealistic expectations of a coach.

The part that gets old though is the idea that anyone can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a coach like Tressel (or, insert your favorite candidate here) wasn't contacted at all. Yes, it's rumored that Eichorst "had his eye on" Riley for a long time, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the only guy that was contacted. For this reason alone, I'm resigned to not get on the 'let's fire our coach' bandwagon because this situation just is what it is now.

Also, it's great to have Bucky back here. Often times he makes the most reasoned posts about the state of our program in any given thread...and that's kind of a sad statement about the overarching attitudes of our fan base. And I mean that in the best possible way to you, Excel. :)

For those clamoring for Scott Frost:

-The system he runs, is more his predecessors than it is his own.

-They are struggling this year in case you didn't notice.

-TO WAS a first time head coach, and how long did that take to pay off? Answer that after you consider this is a thread discussing firing a coach after 6 games.

-Why do we assume he even wants to come here? Oregon currently is a way better situation.

• Fire 1

Mark Richt

Chip Kelly

Jim Tressel

Gary Patterson

Art Briles

All of these guys are proven winners. We can't take a risk on a young, unproven up-and-comer (Frost, for example). Maybe we can lure Kelly from the Eagles the same way Bama lured Saban from the Fins. Bring in Frost as the OC/HC in-waiting and we're all set.

I can't believe you're still trolling a name like Mark Richt around. He's great at underwhelming with superior talent. All that top 10 recruiting talent, and they will make the polls unranked this week. He's one of the top coaches to do less with more.

Chip Kelly will call his next gig. It sure won't be Nebraska. If Strong rights the ship at Texas, it could quite possibly be Miami. If Strong doesn't, it would be likely to see him on the Texas sideline next year. He's going to go to a recruiting juggernaut.

I don't ever see Tressel coaching again.

Over the years, there's been buckets and buckets of money offered to both Patterson and Briles. They're not leaving the safe recruiting haven known as Texas.

• Fire 2

I completely agree, Mark Richt understands the Nebraska tradition.

Hmm.. I had this convo with a Georgia guy on another MB, and here's what I came up with then:

These are SEC head coaching records against ranked opponents (as of the 29th):

• Nick Saban (Alabama, LSU, Michigan State, Toledo): 57-37; .606
  • Les Miles (Oklahoma State, LSU): 41-24; .630
  • Steve Spurrier (Duke, Florida, South Carolina): 65-50-1; .562
  • Mark Richt (Georgia): 38-35; .520
  • Kevin Sumlin (Houston, Texas A&M): 12-10; .545
  • Gus Malzahn (Arkansas State, Auburn): 8-9; .470
  • Bret Bielema (Wisconsin, Arkansas): 12-27; .307
  • Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss): 6-11; .352
  • Gary Pinkel (Toledo, Mizzou): 18-40; .310
  • Jim McElwain (Colorado State): 0-2
  • Dan Mullen (Mississippi State): 4-26; .133
  • Mark Stoops (Kentucky): 1-8; .125
  • Butch Jones (Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Tennessee): 1-17; .055
  • Derek Mason (Vanderbilt): 0-6

This was as of a couple weeks ago. How has Richt done since then?

0-2.

I have not been a fan as long as most on this board, so I'm having a legitimately difficult time figuring out if some of these posts are serious.

Are there actual human beings out there who believe that Chip Kelly is an even long shot candidate to coach Nebraska. Like this is a real conversation?

I'm not sure Riley is going to take us anywhere but I do think we he needs at least 2 seasons to try and fix this. But for funsies, if he were to get fired, has anyone mentioned David Cutcliffe as a possibility? I know he hasn't really won anything of substance but he seems to pretty consistently do more with less.

I'm not sure Riley is going to take us anywhere but I do think we he needs at least 2 seasons to try and fix this. But for funsies, if he were to get fired, has anyone mentioned David Cutcliffe as a possibility? I know he hasn't really won anything of substance but he seems to pretty consistently do more with less.

He'd be Riley 2.0

He'd be Riley 2.0

I've said this for 2 years. He's got Duke borderline top 25.

I'd rather have a coach that could do more with more. Seems like an easier way to win.