Should Mike Riley bench Tommy Armstrong?

Plaza23

No, he's the best we have. Maybe Darlington is a better passer but he'd be risking his life with the number of concussions he's had.

The problem is the coaching....end of story.

Honestly so sick of this excuse to not let Darlington play. If you're gonna take a kid who's had concussions anyways, and then not let him play because "Oh no he's had way too many concussions" what's the point of being on the team anyway?

• Fire 3

Talent reasons alone - I think there's an argument to bench him because his accuracy is bad, his decision making is questionable, and he really looks like a RB trying to play QB in a passing offense - and that has never worked for any team.

But, I think the biggest reason for Riley to consider a benching is due to that 3rd down play. If Mike Riley and the OC really called a Bootleg Run with no passing option and Armstrong freelanced himself into a pass - then to me that is simply insubordination by your QB. You cant have your QB not running the plays that are called on any football team. Everyone has to be on the same page. And this isnt high school football where a kid makes a mistake and its ok we'll get em the next week. Its not. This is big time D1 football and guy's careers are on the line.

IMO, I think Riley and his staff should use yesterday as a teaching moment. He should hold Armstrong accountable for his actions and at least bench him for the 1st half of the next game and maybe even the whole game depending on how the backup plays. He needs to make it clear that freelancing is not acceptable. That playing smart football is 100% necessary at all times. And that blatant intentional willful insubordination will not be tolerated. The QB runs the plays that are called period.

There's too much at stake here and if I was the coach, I'd have a real problem trusting Armstrong from here on out. If he cant even run the simplest plays correctly, how can he be trusted for other things? I wouldnt allow him to make that mistake again. I'd try the next guy.

Yeah that's.....um, no :rickjames

No, he's the best we have. Maybe Darlington is a better passer but he'd be risking his life with the number of concussions he's had.

Honestly so sick of this excuse to not let Darlington play. If you're gonna take a kid who's had concussions anyways, and then not let him play because "Oh no he's had way too many concussions" what's the point of being on the team anyway?

He's 4th on the depth chart bro.

Crazy talk. Tommy's a great player and very needed at the QB position. His improv helps the team sometimes, hurts it other times. He'll learn a hard lesson from this week's game, and so, too, will the coaches.

Enough with turning on the coaches, the players, and each other every which way. Everyone's pulling in the same direction and there are a lot of games left to try to win. If you don't want to watch, tune out -- that's fair. Tune back in whenever you like.

• Fire 2

He's 4th on the depth chart bro.

Yeah, sure he is. Like I said....it's the coaching, end of story.

I think us fans still think like it's 1996 and we have all these options to go to. It's not and we don't.

This staf...smh.

IF the players start to think they threw Tommy, who has been the leader of this team, under the bus then they are in big time trouble. More losses to add on top of an already terrible start to their careers here.

I am sure after what Bo told these players when he was fired, these players were already loyal to Bo and skeptical of this staff. Then you add in the losses, the heat the players get from the losses, and just the mere possibility or feel the staff has thrown a player under the bus.

Please, someone get a fire extinguisher, because we are going to need it.

Honestly i think there was confusion in the call in the huddle. I think one thing was signaled in and it was called wrong in huddle. It can happen, especially when pressure is on.

But, i do think that Bubba Starling should at least get a try.

When Tommy is being Tommy, he's freaking brilliant and I still can't grasp how anyone can't see that? The dude can run and throw, he does it all. Good timing, he's a leader, he's exactly what we need at QB.

That play call was so f'ing beyond stupid, that stupid doesn't do it justice. You don't call a pass, you don't even say the word pass. Pass in that situation is not even in your vocabulary. If someone said pass at all while that play was being called, someone should have bitchslapped the dude that said pass..

rickjamesslap.gif

Tommy should be running more, and we should be designing passes that roll Tommy out of the pocket and completes intermediate 10-15 yard throws. Why? Because that's clearly what he does well and this staff swore that was what they were gonna stick to.

Making Tommy try to play Peyton Manning in Hurricane Juaquin is something a freaking moron would do.

6_3355916.JPG