The Model for Success at Nebraska: A Strong Physical Running Game

The Duke

Every head coach and offensive coordinator football coach has a few choices when they develop their teams...

What is our philosophy? What do we want our run/pass ratio to be? What will make us successful in the environment that we play in?

For current Nebraska head coach Mike Riley he has now admitted that his preference is to use the pass to set up the run.

It is a philosophy that has worked on all levels of football, but this is not the right model for Nebraska. That model had a 4 year experiment and failed. [see Bill Callahan]

There is an offensive model that works at Nebraska. It is the model that produced numerous All-Americans, Outland winners, Heisman trophies, a hallway of Conference Championships, and yes...multiple National Championships. It is a model that worked for Nebraska for over 40 years, and it is this model that Nebraska MUST return to if it ever wants to return to producing consistent, competitive, championship level teams year in and year out.

If Callahan's teams proved passing wouldn't work, which by the way they didn't (it was the defense), then didn't Solich's teams also prove power running wouldn't work (once Osborne's recruits were gone)?

The fact is it's not the system that matters, it's coaches and players. Any system can work here.

• Fire 1

There's another thread floating around here talking about how difficult it is for a head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator to change their schemes. It's what they're brought up in, it's what they know, and it's what they believe in. Between all that is asked of a head football coach (not to mention the fact that these guys have families of their own), it's hard to fault them for not adapting and learning a brand new system. It's simply too much of a time commitment.

Callahan was never going to be anything other than West Coast, Bo was never going to be anything other than the Peso, and Riley will probably never be anything other than West Coast/Pro Style. This is not to say that these types of offenses or defenses will never work at Nebraska. I think it's a little silly to look at Callahan's 4 years and say that the West Coast will never work at Nebraska. Bo made a commitment towards the running game, and we still failed to win anything big. As much as I'd like the solutions to our problems to be simple, the likelihood is that they're not. I look at our WRs, and Alonzo Moore, Brandon Reilly, DPE, Westerkamp, etc...all of them are serviceable receivers. It's a foolish notion to say these guys shouldn't be used, especially when we don't or might not have the RB or offensive line capable of effectively implementing a power run game.

I'd like to see how this offense runs next year (when Tommy might have some legitimate competition for the QB--note: the QB Riley and Langsdorf want). I'm not about to deem this offense a failure, especially when some of the pieces might be missing.

I don't deem the current offense a failure nor will I say it will never work here. But, given my druthers, I sure would prefer the dominate, physical rushing attack of yesteryear compared to this throw first and use ballet dancing scatbacks 2nd approach. I like Riley (the man-not the results thus far) and I don't expect him to completely change but I sure would like to see his offense morph more towards what Tom used to do in the day. It's been fairly successful for Wisconsin and Minnesota lately. I would just like to get back to being the best at it. Probably a pipe(line) dream, I know.

• Fire 1

Duke - I couldn't agree more. Excellent topic which I have brought up many tiimes. In my opinion, NU will NOT get to national title prominence again until it goes back to adopting Osborne's blueprint. I've given reasons in other posts, but here's another thing....I think a lot of fans have lowered their standards to where they think about "winning the Big 10 championship", or even worse, "winning the West division". Who cares? I couldn't give a damn about a conference or divisional championship. Means nothing to me. Just tells me you outplayed 6 or 13 other teams. What I care about is NATIONAL prominence, being #1 again, being taken seriously (feared) by other teams, being physical and running teams over.

Having a cookie cutter passing offense is Ok for guys like Riley who never won anything, but to get back to winning NATIONAL TITLES and being in the hunt for them year after year (like today's Alabama's, Ohio State's, etc.) requires a SOLID running game, and for that...Riley is NOT the answer. He MIGHT get NU to 6-6, 7-5, maybe even 8-4 on a good year, which maybe for some fans is good enough. But he will NEVER get NU to national titles (or even in the conversation of one).

Undone - you're right.....what one personally wants to see run as far as offensive philosophy and what could actually work can be entirely two different things. A lot of fans like passing. I hate it. I despise it. To me, it is WUSSY football. It's throwing the ball over someone's head so they can't get to it (basically, monkey in the middle). I'd rather run a team over, physically beat them up. With rule changes over the years, they have geared the game more to passing and less to running. They've taken the brutality of the game away. Osborne had it right...EVERYONE (including the QB) blocks, everyone (including QBs) runs (and no slides or running out of bounds). Qb's should not be given any special status when it comes to the BRUTALITY of the game...they should hit and be hit just like everyone else. No prima donnas.

So since you mentioned preference, I will say my preference is to run the ball (80/20 ratio or higher, 90/10 even). But to do that you need the right coach who knows the ins and outs of the running game...and Riley is not that coach. He is not a run-the-ball TECHNICIAN. So we are stuck with Riley and his West Coast wussy throw the ball around offense, which, like I said, will absolutely not bring NU back to national titles, hence, it is not good enough for me. I won't settle for "winning the West division". I want PANCAKES. When is the last time you heard the word Pancakes? Offensive linemen used to compete to see who could get the most pancakes in a game. They took pride in it. They enjoyed firing off the line to smash the defensive linemen into the ground on run plays. What happens on a pass play? Offensive linemen BACKPEDAL, forming a nice cushy pocket for the QB (in other words, very passive, and defintiely not gonna lead to any pancakes).

So to sum up....my preference...run the ball. What will bring Nebraska back to the promised land of national title?....run the ball (but only with the right coaches who know what they're doing and are true technicians in rushing attack philosophy and execution).

• Fire 4

Well, if you listened to the presser today, Riley talked extensively about the passing game. Don't expect their philosophy to change any time soon, they won't establish and lean on the running game.

Square peg, round hole.

21-59 the last 2 games. Square peg, round hole.

• Fire 1

Just finished reading your post Nebhawk and thought I'd see what I could find on the subject. Now bear on mind I didn't take 3 hours to bet the author or verify the findings. But actually a 60/40 run to pass ratio has been the most successful during the BCS era. According to this article from SB Nation.

Yes weather plays a part......Don't tell the Packers that though.......

The game has changed. Yes running the ball still wins games, but you have to have a threat of a passing game. You have to have deep threats, mid range threats, and over alll threats that hit home runs on a moments notice.

Watch other teams play football. Those who do run, have Heisman candidates at RB. They have NFL draft pick material on the lines. Watch, LSU will play a defense that can stop the run, and then watch them get embarrassed because they don't have a passing game. You saw what Ole-Miss did to Alabama via the passing game and run game, and shut down Bamas run game for the most part, forcing a QB to win it.

The logic of running the ball is still the number one thing to do to win. Having a balanced team is what wins championships at any level or conference in College football. Bring back LP or Ahman, or Rozier and you might be able to just run the ball and win games. I dont see those types of RB's in the current lineup or on the roster. Ameer was a great back, and they won games thru his 3 years of playing the main RB. Since Ahman, I would say that Ameer was the best since him. Talent people, talent wins games as much as coaching does in this age of ball. You got to have horses to go and win games 50-49, and win games that are 14-13. With the old systems, we haven't been able to win playing either way. Callahan could score on nobodies and got scored on by somebodies. Pelini offenses could score 20 points on good top 25 teams and couldn't score 35 or more on crappy teams. The last few years allowed more points each and every year he stayed here. The game has changed, you have to able to score in the 50's sometimes to win and sometimes you have to win games that are scored in the teens. Regardless talent is the key for success. That starts this off season with recruiting. Make your judgments next year and the year after if you want to judge the current staff. This season isn't enough to make anykind of decisions on what we have seen. At the best this team would be 3-3 under any circumstances. No matter who the coaching staff is. I truly believe in this theory. Now if Riley next year at this point is 2-4, and lost some games in the same manner, I would say theres no chance for improvement. At this point, a coaching change will completely send this program in a tailspin, and it won't recover. It might end up on the same level as Iowa St or Texas Tech.

The weather always comes up and people point to Rogers or Brady.... THOSE GUYS ARE 2 OF THE GREATEST TO HAVE EVER PLAYED THE GAME. NU will never get a qb of that caliber here. EVER. But I do believe we can get the pieces to have an incredible run game coupled with a more than serviceable passer.

Look out our QB greats during the 80-90's. They didn't pass a lot, or get a crazy amount of completions, but when they did it was usually for 6.... Very few INT's and sacks. IIRC 1995 Huskers (maybe 94) gave up no sacks...

In regards to Riley switching systems. You know what you know. If we want a new more suvessful running game and coach then hire that guy. That was and always will be my biggest gripe with Beck. He was the passing game coordinator when KU had Reesing. Then tried to use that at NU with guys who were, well not Reesing. Tried to copy various different ideas spread option, zone read etc... but he was learning these and then trying to teach. Sometimes to fantastic results and other times not so much.

Get back to running the ball and use the PA and rolling out to pass. Make teams defend the arm and the legs of the QB.

• Fire 1

There's another thread floating around here talking about how difficult it is for a head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator to change their schemes. It's what they're brought up in, it's what they know, and it's what they believe in. Between all that is asked of a head football coach (not to mention the fact that these guys have families of their own), it's hard to fault them for not adapting and learning a brand new system. It's simply too much of a time commitment. Callahan was never going to be anything other than West Coast, Bo was never going to be anything other than the Peso, and Riley will probably never be anything other than West Coast/Pro Style. This is not to say that these types of offenses or defenses will never work at Nebraska. I think it's a little silly to look at Callahan's 4 years and say that the West Coast will never work at Nebraska. Bo made a commitment towards the running game, and we still failed to win anything big. As much as I'd like the solutions to our problems to be simple, the likelihood is that they're not. I look at our WRs, and Alonzo Moore, Brandon Reilly, DPE, Westerkamp, etc...all of them are serviceable receivers. It's a foolish notion to say these guys shouldn't be used, especially when we don't or might not have the RB or offensive line capable of effectively implementing a power run game. I'd like to see how this offense runs next year (when Tommy might have some legitimate competition for the QB--note: the QB Riley and Langsdorf want). I'm not about to deem this offense a failure, especially when some of the pieces might be missing.

I don't deem the current offense a failure nor will I say it will never work here. But, given my druthers, I sure would prefer the dominate, physical rushing attack of yesteryear compared to this throw first and use ballet dancing scatbacks 2nd approach. I like Riley (the man-not the results thus far) and I don't expect him to completely change but I sure would like to see his offense morph more towards what Tom used to do in the day. It's been fairly successful for Wisconsin and Minnesota lately. I would just like to get back to being the best at it. Probably a pipe(line) dream, I know.
I mean, if we're going to suck, we might as well suck playing Nebraska-style football.
  • Fire 4

Riley's offenses historically are anything but power football/establishing the run first. As he said he believes in a successful passing game properly setting up the run game. Pac-12 football essentially except this is the B1G. Really the true question is can he get the right players here to run his offense and be a success doing it in this league?

There's another thread floating around here talking about how difficult it is for a head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator to change their schemes. It's what they're brought up in, it's what they know, and it's what they believe in. Between all that is asked of a head football coach (not to mention the fact that these guys have families of their own), it's hard to fault them for not adapting and learning a brand new system. It's simply too much of a time commitment. Callahan was never going to be anything other than West Coast, Bo was never going to be anything other than the Peso, and Riley will probably never be anything other than West Coast/Pro Style. This is not to say that these types of offenses or defenses will never work at Nebraska. I think it's a little silly to look at Callahan's 4 years and say that the West Coast will never work at Nebraska. Bo made a commitment towards the running game, and we still failed to win anything big. As much as I'd like the solutions to our problems to be simple, the likelihood is that they're not. I look at our WRs, and Alonzo Moore, Brandon Reilly, DPE, Westerkamp, etc...all of them are serviceable receivers. It's a foolish notion to say these guys shouldn't be used, especially when we don't or might not have the RB or offensive line capable of effectively implementing a power run game. I'd like to see how this offense runs next year (when Tommy might have some legitimate competition for the QB--note: the QB Riley and Langsdorf want). I'm not about to deem this offense a failure, especially when some of the pieces might be missing.

I mean, if we're going to suck, we might as well suck playing Nebraska-style football.

Exactly.

And something tells me, if we actually played Nebraska style football, we probably wouldn't suck as bad. How many times would it have paid off this season alone if we could get that 3 yards in a cloud of dust that we always could depend on?

• Fire 1

Duke - I couldn't agree more. Excellent topic which I have brought up many tiimes. In my opinion, NU will NOT get to national title prominence again until it goes back to adopting Osborne's blueprint. I've given reasons in other posts, but here's another thing....I think a lot of fans have lowered their standards to where they think about "winning the Big 10 championship", or even worse, "winning the West division". Who cares? I couldn't give a damn about a conference or divisional championship. Means nothing to me. Just tells me you outplayed 6 or 13 other teams. What I care about is NATIONAL prominence, being #1 again, being taken seriously (feared) by other teams, being physical and running teams over.

Having a cookie cutter passing offense is Ok for guys like Riley who never won anything, but to get back to winning NATIONAL TITLES and being in the hunt for them year after year (like today's Alabama's, Ohio State's, etc.) requires a SOLID running game, and for that...Riley is NOT the answer. He MIGHT get NU to 6-6, 7-5, maybe even 8-4 on a good year, which maybe for some fans is good enough. But he will NEVER get NU to national titles (or even in the conversation of one).

Undone - you're right.....what one personally wants to see run as far as offensive philosophy and what could actually work can be entirely two different things. A lot of fans like passing. I hate it. I despise it. To me, it is WUSSY football. It's throwing the ball over someone's head so they can't get to it (basically, monkey in the middle). I'd rather run a team over, physically beat them up. With rule changes over the years, they have geared the game more to passing and less to running. They've taken the brutality of the game away. Osborne had it right...EVERYONE (including the QB) blocks, everyone (including QBs) runs (and no slides or running out of bounds). Qb's should not be given any special status when it comes to the BRUTALITY of the game...they should hit and be hit just like everyone else. No prima donnas.

So since you mentioned preference, I will say my preference is to run the ball (80/20 ratio or higher, 90/10 even). But to do that you need the right coach who knows the ins and outs of the running game...and Riley is not that coach. He is not a run-the-ball TECHNICIAN. So we are stuck with Riley and his West Coast wussy throw the ball around offense, which, like I said, will absolutely not bring NU back to national titles, hence, it is not good enough for me. I won't settle for "winning the West division". I want PANCAKES. When is the last time you heard the word Pancakes? Offensive linemen used to compete to see who could get the most pancakes in a game. They took pride in it. They enjoyed firing off the line to smash the defensive linemen into the ground on run plays. What happens on a pass play? Offensive linemen BACKPEDAL, forming a nice cushy pocket for the QB (in other words, very passive, and defintiely not gonna lead to any pancakes).

So to sum up....my preference...run the ball. What will bring Nebraska back to the promised land of national title?....run the ball (but only with the right coaches who know what they're doing and are true technicians in rushing attack philosophy and execution).

There is much to love about this brand of football - Husker teams of yesteryear called it "smashmouth" football. Dominate the line of scrimmage and pound the defense into submission. You throw over the top 6 to 8 times a half just to scorch 'em with a big ugly tight end lumbering down the field as little DBs slip and fall off his back for 29 yards into the dreadful 4 down territory inside the opponents' 40. From there, the opponent's defenders knew what was coming - more tough running backs and hard hitting fullbacks pounding away. It was brutal at times - yes. The toughest team won 90% of the time.

This West Coast offense crap doesn't work at Nebraska. It was proven with Callahan and it's being proven again now. The more I listen to Riley, the more I feel like he's just telling fans what they want to hear. Then, he goes out and does something totally different.

• Fire 1

There is much to love about this brand of football - Husker teams of yesteryear called it "smashmouth" football. Dominate the line of scrimmage and pound the defense into submission. You throw over the top 6 to 8 times a half just to scorch 'em with a big ugly tight end lumbering down the field as little DBs slip and fall off his back for 29 yards into the dreadful 4 down territory inside the opponents' 40. From there, the opponent's defenders knew what was coming - more tough running backs and hard hitting fullbacks pounding away. It was brutal at times - yes. The toughest team won 90% of the time.

Want to know how much Nebraska fans love this brand of football...smash-mouth football? Want to know how much they miss those tough running, physical types of running games?

Just listen to the crowd on Saturday after Janovich's 55-yard touchdown run.

This is just one example of what Nebraska football is, what it was...

.... and what it should be.

• Fire 3

This West Coast offense crap doesn't work at Nebraska. It was proven with Callahan and it's being proven again now. The more I listen to Riley, the more I feel like he's just telling fans what they want to hear. Then, he goes out and does something totally different.

Why won't it work at Nebraska? Is our field shaped different than other fields in the Big 10? Is our turf specifically designed for a running game?

To run a successful offense you have to have proper coaching and talent. Osborne was successful because he was a great coach and developed players to run his system. Not every coach can duplicate that. When we hired Riley, we knew what kind of system he wanted to run. It's going to take time to implement.

• Fire 1