***Official Minnesota Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

This defense is so damn embarrassing. Who wants to bet this QB breaks a personal passing record today.

Hey, it's better than letting a guy put up 400 rushing yards in 3 quarters. Last year we gave up 14 points to Illinois...this year the same. Last year 59 to Wisconsin, this year 23. Last year 28 to Minny, this year...we'll see.

I honestly think it's more demoralizing to give up hundreds of rushing yards per game, but neither is preferred.

Teams essentially stop running on us in the second quarter. Once they realize thepass defense really is as bad advertised what's the point. There isn't a QB bad enough in college football to make our pass defense look remotely competent

So far this QB and Stave last week are at least hitting their targets, even if in some cases our coverage is too soft. TA cannot consistently hit throws to save his life, and Martinez was the same way. We haven't had a decent throwing QB in years.

You are correct. I will amend my statement. There is not a QB in college football not named Tommy Armstrong who is bad enough to make our pass defense look competent.

Need 2 good QB recruits this year. We have one. Hope he hangs on. Need some wins to help solidify our class.

24 points would have won us the past 2 games...as bad as people think the Defense has been, its the lack of offense that has us 2-4 and not 4-2.

It's both. If we weren't the worst pass D in the country, we'd be 4-2. If we had just a little more consistency on O, we'd be 4-2. If we had both, we'd be 6-0.

Not just consistency--playcalling and dedication to the run for Offense. Most of the reason the kids never got on track on offense is because of poor playcalling (plays called to set up other plays), mismanagement of the RB stable, and Langsdorf getting stupid on 3rd down calls.

Hard for the kids to execute when they're being given poor playcalls. And no, I'm not absolving the kids of all fault, but it's mostly on the coaches.

Good to see something resembling a commitment to the run game.

With as inexcusably bad as the pass defense is, at least on the whole we are tackling much more effectively than last year. That is the kind of simple, fundamental fix I was hoping Riley would implement across the board.

That said, I'm also very pleased by the lack of penalties today so far.

The penalties may be the key to the improved offense. When a 5 yard run is negated by a penalty, then Langs immediately resorts to the pass.

Indeed. I think the lack of penalties thus far has been the decisive difference in this game vs past games this season. Our pass defense certainly isn't any better.