One more thought about Mike Riley

ndobney

um, what?

I'm just saying we shouldn't judge him by the first 8 games, because its apparent not all the players have bought in. It's not his fault either, cause it is something he inherited. We could use more people like Gangwish in the locker room.

IMO, it is part of a coaches job to get players to buy into your system first year.

By this point of the season, the coaches should know as well who has bought in and who hasn't. Those who haven't bought in should be benched. I don't see that happening.

agree, this excuse should have been over 2-3 games ago......as a new coach, if sh#t is broke you face it and fix it.........otherwise the cancer grows, until these players graduate....i am not so sure i buy this excuse for losing, i keep seeing bad play calling by our coaches......period.

If players aren't buying in, they are not buying in. It would be hard to get those who are not to do so. You can see it. No one is going all out each and every play. Its been that way for a ffew years though. Gregory, gifted, talented athlete who played hard about 1/3 of the time. When he was inspired to play hard, he was a difference maker. So is it players not buying in or is it just a lack of effort on every down?

This is why you don't fire 9 win coaches. This is why you don't fire 9 win coaches.............

Your not going to see this program and Riley have any success until some of the bad apples are gone. Believe you me, as soon as the season is over, your going to see those who don't and haven't bought in, leave and transfer.

I am not better than most of you on this board in thinking that the issues start and stop with coaching staff. However, I often think that we are giving the players to much of a free pass in all of these losses.

The players are to blame some. TA threw the interception, that was as costly as any play in the whole game. Maybe was the game.

Coaches can't coach effort. Now I said that, and do believe that, but this is a college institution, play someone else if you see others aren't playing hard!

I don't buy this. Callahan lost his team, Riley has not. The team has battled every week, including the Miami game when things looked about hopeless. We just aren't doing what it takes to win when it counts. Get a little better and those L's become W's. I don't buy all the "it's just too toxic a situation" stuff but I don't buy that Riley has lost his team either.

After having sometime to digest all of the information that has come out since the game Saturday I have some thought that may alter some of your opinions as it has mine. I have seen the results of Mike Riley this year and yes they are unacceptable. I for the most part feel if you are loosing to many close games it is the coaches fault. Now having time to get all the information that has collected over the season and for me to think about it over the last day its giving me a little more compassion for Riley. I have stated several times this year that Riley should be fired. Its not Riley's schemes that bother me its his philosophy. Lets set all this to the side for a while and lets take a look at what is really obvious.

It appears on the surface that Mike Riley has lost the team. When that happens a coach should be fired immediately. You can't loose the team, cause once you loose the team you can't get it back. You can't have your players quit on you. Its so obvious that at least some of the players have quit on him by looking at photographs alone. When you loose a team players don't play as well, so when it comes down to who wants it more like at the end of games you are at a disadvantage. Having a qb that still is prone to mistakes doesn't help the situation. I know the defense has been awful, but I hate to say it I actually think that the defensive scheme is great for Nebraska. I have noticed improvement probably more so in that area then any other area so far. Offense is way to inconsistant, but the defense has slowly gotten better.

So has Mike Riley lost the team? I don't think so based on all the evidence. It doesn't appear that he really had the team to begin with, or at least not fully. I think there was still a partially divided locker room in the begining about the pelini situation when Riley first arrived. I think some were on the fence and the early looses doesn't help. Mike Riley hasn't won over the locker room yet, but as he gets his guys in there and the old ones out the locker room will shift in a better way. Riley does not have a lot of time to do this. Two or three more wins this season could have gone a long ways towards putting that obstacle behind him.

Here's the bottom line though. I am not going to advocate firing Mike Riley, when there is part of the team that is not buying in yet. I can't believe that I saw evidence to suggest that the players didn't care last Saturday. A game when your bowl berth in on the line, a home game no less. Do you really want to go down as one of the handful of Nebraska teams that couldn't make a bowl game. If you don't want Riley as your coach then go play your ass off and proof he sucks, and we will fire his ass. This whole we can't fire a coach for 3 years at least stuff is bogus. There is no way to judge a coach who still has players on his team that aren't fully committed. There are standards at Nebraska, yes we will loose a game here or there, but the players never come to a game not willing to give everything they got. That is far worst than loosing.

ive been preachin this sh#t since last december. So you can take your epiphony abd shove it.

I have trouble finding convinving evidence that there are some players who clearly have not 'bought in' as you say. I think we have some players that are NOT playing hard through each and every play until the whistle blows and we have some who don't seem to know the plays well enough as often are not on the same page from their actions. Whiffs and non blocks are common examples. Backs and receivers running routes or movements which seem to reflect a disconnect with the rest of the players on the play as to direction, objective, etc.

These are PERHAPS the fault of coaching but frankly you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink! Players need to make the kind of dedicated effort to be the best players they can be. That means putting in the mental as well as physical effort to get in shape and know what the heck is going on and what your role is on the team. You need to get smart and do your job.

if you cant simply watch the games abd see lack of passion. Lack of care. Lack of effort. Then im sorry. You know cery little about football. And thats fine. Is what it is. Im just making the point.

There were two screens in the 1st quarter. Bubbles. O e was the cethan truck play. If Utter and lewis just get after it and make a block each one is a td. These are the things i see. Lewis chips his end like hes supposed to then on his release turns and watches. I clocked it at .9 seconds he stands there. The tackle after a 7 yard gain was made by the line backer he was supposed to pick uo. And wouldve with a little more effort and get-after. This is not coaching vits want to

And Utter. Trying a chop block in space on a will. Lol. He got jumped over. Just block him. Block him and its six.

if you are loosing to many close games it is the coaches fault.

this x1000

No not this. Coaches do not miss field goals. And coaches don't throw interceptions in OT. Coaches don't even throw head scratching pick six that factor into a loss. In fact, coaches are not on the field to hold a defensive player's hand on a Hail Mary pass at the end of a game (past 4th grade). And when a coach calls a play tagged with "run", they sure as heck don't ask the QB to improvise and pass it to kill clock. :dumdum

Some of y'all just point to the coach for the won-loss record. Apparently when a play works, it's because of the players and when it doesn't, it's definitely something else...... :facepalm:

Perhaps the players have not performed well enough? Or maybe the plays attempted by the players have altered the outcome of a drive, a series, a pivotal defensive stop, etc.

• Fire 4

this x1000

No not this. Coaches do not miss field goals. And coaches don't throw interceptions in OT. Coaches don't even throw head scratching pick six that factor into a loss. In fact, coaches are not on the field to hold a defensive player's hand on a Hail Mary pass at the end of a game (past 4th grade). And when a coach calls a play tagged with "run", they sure as heck don't ask the QB to improvise and pass it to kill clock. :dumdum

Some of y'all just point to the coach for the won-loss record. Apparently when a play works, it's because of the players and when it doesn't, it's definitely something else...... :facepalm:

Perhaps the players have not performed well enough? Or maybe the plays attempted by the players have altered the outcome of a drive, a series, a pivotal defensive stop, etc.

No but coaches teach QB's how to run the play, coaches teach defenders proper positions on hail mary passes and coaches teach players how to stay calm. Most importantly coaches put kids on the field that understand what they teach. I'm not saying it is all the coaches, but with this many issues I'm putting most of it on them.

um, what?

I'm just saying we shouldn't judge him by the first 8 games, because its apparent not all the players have bought in. It's not his fault either, cause it is something he inherited. We could use more people like Gangwish in the locker room.

Walk-ons that start?? No thank you. Would much rather have another version of Freedom except as a junior. But since the previous staff neglected their recruiting duties to several positions we now start a Freshamn DE who was a TE last year and Senior walk on.

• Fire 1

this x1000

No but coaches teach QB's how to run the play, coaches teach defenders proper positions on hail mary passes and coaches teach players how to stay calm. Most importantly coaches put kids on the field that understand what they teach. I'm not saying it is all the coaches, but with this many issues I'm putting most of it on them.

Agree, at this point should we be looking to the future and start playing some of the underclassmen an see what they can do?

this x1000

Agree, at this point should we be looking to the future and start playing some of the underclassmen an see what they can do?

I have suggested this for several weeks now. Once the season was basically over as our team and program goals evaporated (winning seasons, good bowl games, 10 plus wins, Big Ten championships, etc and all goals that are GONE in 2015. We now need to reset for 2016 and 2017. Play the young guys. They have been basically sitting all season as the starters have been unable to play well enough to not only win but win convincingly and get the games under control so the back ups and younger guys can get experience.