Losing the Fan Base?

My son and I will be at the Iowa game, day after Thanksgiving. He's been in the Air Force the last 8 years and can't wait to go to the game, just to be there. I can't wait either, to share the day with my son. We'll probably be the only two in the NW corner of the stadium yelling the whole game, but it doesn't matter. We love Husker football.

I need to know, does this make me a bad fan or not a fan at all? All I can do is laugh as I watch this Purdue game. We are literally inventing stupid ways to play the game, it is pathetic. But my reaction to every error is to laugh out loud. Seems like maybe I'm a bad fan?????

I need to know, does this make me a bad fan or not a fan at all? All I can do is laugh as I watch this Purdue game. We are literally inventing stupid ways to play the game, it is pathetic. But my reaction to every error is to laugh out loud. Seems like maybe I'm a bad fan?????

If you're a bad fan than I am too.

Yep if that's the case I'm a bad fan as well. I got frustrated early in the season, but now it's just so sad that it's funny.

I would love to be there with you Grandpasknee.

I will never give up on the kids, will support the staff until they are gone. I am not qualified to say they should be gone or should stay. I know they want to win, just feel there is more to it. I do not feel the team has quit, but I do feel some on the team have.

In looking at the many topics, statuses, some linked articles and other places, Facebook, etc., people have spoken about fan apathy.. like it really exsists.

It does not at this point. We are all on the Huskerboard talking about it. We all care. We can't stay away. We are all pationate enough to make threads like this one.

Matter of fact, people will probably not like this thread because there have been others that touch on some of the same points. It sounds repetitive and they know. They've been reading all the threads.

So, if this isn't apathy, you might ask, what is?

Look at the baseball forum on this fine site. On the first page of threads, THE FIRST PAGE, you can see a thread about the 2015 baseball schedule and the 2016 baseball schedule. The second of which has ZERO, that's right, ZERO comments, and just 98 views. The Illinois baseball game had 103 comments and 1,763 views.

The game thread from Purdue has 1,815 comments and 31,055 views. I can guarantee that before we get halfway into Michigan State week, the Purdue discussion thread will have been pushed to the second page of the forum because people, like me, continue to post new topics.

Note that I said the 2015 baseball schedule is still on the front page of the baseball forum. Want to know where the last game of the 2014 season for football is... out bowl game. Well, you'll have to scroll to page 36 of the forum as of right now to see that topic.

And, desite the coaches being lame duck and our chances of beating USC seeming slim ... there were 1,655 comments and 30,023 views.

The baseball page shows apathy. The football page shows passion. There are a lot of us here that care even if we say we don't care.... even if we really wish we didn't care.

So please stop with the apathy talk because until those forums go quiet and until the stadium clears out at half of the football game, apathy doesn't exist.

it's getting bad, and I for one know its hard to keep the faith, but, at this point, we are still tuning in and showing up.

I hope it never stops. But I also hope we have more wins to encrouage fan devotion. And soon.

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR
Same topic. Merged.
  • Fire 2

I am a lifetime Husker fan that hasnt missed a game since I was a small child in the 70s. In every game, except Texas Tech
and Kansas under Callahan, I believed we were going to win until the last second. I always believe
they are going to win. I am the true definition of a Husker fan.
That said, this year has been heartbreaking for me in many ways. First, the hire of Riley wasnt on my radar. I had dreams of
big name coaches and those were crushed when he was hired. I was aware of Riley and didnt hate the hire, I just thought they
could do better. But I gave him a chance and believed that he would get us a respectable season.
I had predictions of 11-1 or 10-2 at the beginning of the season. Looking at our conference I didnt see a way we would lose 3
or more games. I felt good about our season and coaching staff.
BYU was hard, but I chalked it up to being a first game. Miami was difficult to watch, but we had heart and came back. Illinois was
Big 10 road game. Wisconsin, Northwestern were possible loses at the beginning of the season. I had excuses for all of the loses
and then today happened. Nothing about Purdue explained away the loss. Sure we didnt have Tommy, but Purdue is a really bad team.
During the Purdue game I realized that I was becoming indifferent. As baffling as it was, I dont think I was surprised that we lost to
Purdue. I no longer had faith in this team. I mean I went through the motions believing we were going to come back: With 30 seconds we
just needed a couple onside kicks and TDs to win. But something changed and I realized that this is how I felt watching Callahan's
worst games.
I will still support the team and hope we will get to 6-6, but I dont believe that we will. That is the difference in my fandom. I
no longer believe that we will win. Maybe that is what he is talking about when he says they risk losing the fan base.
The good thing is that once they start winning again I will go back to believing they will win every game. Hopefully that will start with Michigan State.

• Fire 1

I am a lifetime Husker fan that hasnt missed a game since I was a small child in the 70s. In every game, except Texas Tech

and Kansas under Callahan, I believed we were going to win until the last second. I always believe

they are going to win. I am the true definition of a Husker fan.

That said, this year has been heartbreaking for me in many ways. First, the hire of Riley wasnt on my radar. I had dreams of

big name coaches and those were crushed when he was hired. I was aware of Riley and didnt hate the hire, I just thought they

could do better. But I gave him a chance and believed that he would get us a respectable season.

I had predictions of 11-1 or 10-2 at the beginning of the season. Looking at our conference I didnt see a way we would lose 3

or more games. I felt good about our season and coaching staff.

BYU was hard, but I chalked it up to being a first game. Miami was difficult to watch, but we had heart and came back. Illinois was

Big 10 road game. Wisconsin, Northwestern were possible loses at the beginning of the season. I had excuses for all of the loses

and then today happened. Nothing about Purdue explained away the loss. Sure we didnt have Tommy, but Purdue is a really bad team.

During the Purdue game I realized that I was becoming indifferent. As baffling as it was, I dont think I was surprised that we lost to

Purdue. I no longer had faith in this team. I mean I went through the motions believing we were going to come back: With 30 seconds we

just needed a couple onside kicks and TDs to win. But something changed and I realized that this is how I felt watching Callahan's

worst games.

I will still support the team and hope we will get to 6-6, but I dont believe that we will. That is the difference in my fandom. I

no longer believe that we will win. Maybe that is what he is talking about when he says they risk losing the fan base.

The good thing is that once they start winning again I will go back to believing they will win every game. Hopefully that will start with Michigan State.

I'm with you man, fans need to help each other out during these times. Any aggression that a husker fan has should be saved for Eichorst or his vehicle.

So what defines a "real fan?" You can blindly support a team and enable the administration that has caused this debacle, or you can start voting with your wallets and purses and let it be known that the current state of Nebraska football is 100% unacceptable.

I love my daughter unconditionally and want her to grow up to be a responsible adult. That means there are consequences for her actions, and these are the result of my love for her.

In the same vein, if you love Cornhusker football and want it to succeed, you cannot support the current state of affairs at the University. There are a ton of fingers to point: Pelini is gone and Perlman is on his way out. That leaves Eichorst and Riley, and changes must be made. If Riley returns next year with an unchanged staff, you can rest assured that myself as well as many others in #huskernation are going to start holding this administration accountable by not blindly supporting poor choices with our donations, ticket sales, and merchandise sales.