Michigan St Game: What Did We Learn?

We learned that we do have great talent on this team but we lack good coaches that can put the players in a position to win. I watched the game back four times (yes, four times) and it was very clear that the defensive players were left on an island looking at each other wondering what play was called. It is abundantly clear that banker's knowledge of defense is as good as my Japanese (by the way, the only Japanese words I know are Sushi and Sayonara). Langsdorf's inability to use Jano is simpply absurd. The guy is a STUD. Magic happens whenever he touches the ball. Just run the damn ball consistently. In my opinion, the players won that game in spite of the coaches and NOT BECAUSE of the coaches. They showed heart and played like their lives depended on it. On the other hand, our Mr. Nice Guy coach went on to admit that he was surprised that the referees did not call the touchdown back. In other words, it is as if he did not want to win. I respect these players but have absolutely no respect or trust in the coaches, especially, Banker the CLOWN.

The announcers are terrible. When #92 Joel Heath got injured, they said Nick Gates gave a dirt hit "well after the play was over" that the refs missed. When I went back and watched the game, Nick Gates blocked him to and through the whistle and stopped immediately afterward. Good effort from Gates, not a dirt play. Crappy announcers. :hmmph

I cracked up once because right after Cook threw an incomplete pass they talked about what amazing QB he was.

The announcers were terrible. They had to eat their words a couple times. The most notable was when we were 1st and goal, we threw the ball and the fans started to boo wanting a run. The announcers then proceeded to explain that the fans didn't understand and that throwing the ball was the right call (and that's the way to get it in the end zone with mich st d line). As he was making this point, tommy threw an int.

This had to have been Cross' best game of his career. I mean this in the most positive, respectful way to Imani: It's like he realized that his primary objective should be keeping his balance...not looking for the right hole. As if it hit him last night that he's 230+ pounds, and he can rumble on every single carry he gets with yards after contact.

Our guards and tackles played extremely well for Imani on numerous off tackle runs, too. But he had some punishing, old-school-Nebraska-esque power runs (as did Janovich) that really imposed our will against them on several drives.

That game plan will absolutely work wonders against Iowa. Langsdorf...pleeeeeeease do it again against Iowa.

We didn't learn this, because we already knew, but we confirmed and put a dozen more asterisks after the statement that Jordan Westerkamp is a Mr Universe first class stud. Gutsy, tough sumbitch, consistent, tought, dedicated, tough, motivated, tough baller. Did I say tough! The only man crush I've ever had was Neil Armstrong when he walked on the moon. Westy might be the second. I did say the dude is tough didn't I?

Stated in the game thread but it was brought up here. Newby was in the game at the goal line because we were in hurry up mode on the drive and newby is the best back for when you know you need to pass. We got down to the two and we're still in hurry up mode with 3 Wrs and 1 te so we would need to sub in a bunch of players to get the goal line set in. I liked the play calls even with newby.

I just watched the replay. I learned two things.

1) Our offensive line played better than they have all year. They totally handled Sparty's D-line, one of the best D=lines in all of college football. Where have these guys been? They looked awesome!

2) I cannot stand Brian Griese as an announcer. Smarmy, ignorant, incorrect comments the whole game. I couldn't stand his dad, Bob Griese, as an announcer. I like Brian even less. Where does espn dredge up these asshats anyway? :facepalm:

• Fire 2

Stated in the game thread but it was brought up here. Newby was in the game at the goal line because we were in hurry up mode on the drive and newby is the best back for when you know you need to pass. We got down to the two and we're still in hurry up mode with 3 Wrs and 1 te so we would need to sub in a bunch of players to get the goal line set in. I liked the play calls even with newby.

Then throw the ball. Or run it once with Newby. But twice? And then we substituted Cross into the game, so why not just do that on first down?

Got a chance to watch the 2nd half again tonight. Really impressed offensively. Both Players and Lang. Saw a ton of 2 TE 2 RB sets. And a nice rythum in the running game. Even well trailing.

I still don't like the series at the goaline. I get we were in hurry up. But totally forgot Mich St gave us a free play as well with the flag. So we had 3 plays be for getting cross/jano in the game.

Again good on the staff for the timeout and changing the personnel.

GBR!!!

MSU was maybe a little overrated.

I've always hated this type of bullsh#t. Usually it's been from other teams' fans. Said team beats a highly ranked team, then said team's fans chant "Overrated." Takes away from the win, doesn't it? If said team was able to beat them, they must have sucked anyway. So said team probably sucks too.

Sorry, but that's idiotic. We beat a good top ten team. They were #7. Behind several undefeated teams. They were likely where they should have been. Nebraska did a good job by beating them.

Sometimes, I think you can make an argument about a team being overrated, but it's usually best after they've had multiple games to prove themselves. USC would be one of those, for a recent example. They started off the season ranked #1 either last year or the year before and it didn't take long to see this was far from the case.

That said, with MSU this season, I don't think it's fair to say they've been that overrated. How many teams can we reasonably say are without a doubt better? It's all subjective. They were undefeated, and even though they haven't wowed anyone, they've taken care of business. This was a really good win for Nebraska in just about every way you can slice it.