Michigan State LB'er on the atmosphere

CU fans were bad, but their teams were not all that good. I didn't see them as any more of a rival than Missouri, in fact I disliked Missouri more. Colorado was just our forced rivalry because of the conference split. Although they have sent us into our spiral from that beating in 2001, besides their early 00's teams, Nebraska handled the Buffs pretty well.

I dont live or spend much time in Omaha, so probably dont understand. But what has iowa done-besides being iowa-to deserve the proverbial Colorado reference? I just find it hard for anyone to be that bad. Or is it just a simply comparison as in theyll be the nasty hardcore rivalry?

Iowa fans. I don't live up there, but the facebook connections I have, yeesh. Iowa fans spend more time talking about Nebraska than they do their own damn team.

Example:

i0WYgr4.png

I live in Iowa. They are nearly unbearable. You'd think they were Alabama the way they talk up thier powerhouse team.

• Fire 4

CU fans were bad, but their teams were not all that good. I didn't see them as any more of a rival than Missouri, in fact I disliked Missouri more. Colorado was just our forced rivalry because of the conference split. Although they have sent us into our spiral from that beating in 2001, besides their early 00's teams, Nebraska handled the Buffs pretty well.

I am guessing you weren't around to watch the series from '87-'94? Pretty heated IMO. Plenty of animosity on both sides to go around. That includes our fans with "Sals Dead" signs and chants.

I lived in Iowa for a while. Had a church youth group I work with. They were just blindly hateful of Nebraska. No real basis I could determine, they just hated the Huskers. I'd let them (some of the young guys) go on and on and on about how the Huskers suck, etc (and we didn't back then)....after a while I'd just say. "Well, when it takes more than....oh.....zero fingers to count your legit national championships, we'll talk," "OH...Nebraska sucks"....LOL

• Fire 1

Don't think my comment deserves a new thread, so this seems like a good place to put it. In the aftermath of the game I saw several Sparty players with their heads up, seeking out some Husker players and giving congratulations. That made a huge impression on me. I can see MSU becoming our Oklahoma...a team we respect but hate to lose to. I can also see Iowa becoming our Colorado....a team we just plain hate. It may not work out that way but I think we needs those kinds of rivalries in the long run to make this conference a little better all around.

+1

I dont live or spend much time in Omaha, so probably dont understand. But what has iowa done-besides being iowa-to deserve the proverbial Colorado reference? I just find it hard for anyone to be that bad. Or is it just a simply comparison as in theyll be the nasty hardcore rivalry?

Iowa fans. I don't live up there, but the facebook connections I have, yeesh. Iowa fans spend more time talking about Nebraska than they do their own damn team.

Example:

i0WYgr4.png

I live in Iowa. They are nearly unbearable. You'd think they were Alabama the way they talk up thier powerhouse team.
Been there, done that. I'm sure the talk preseason was about how they were all sick of Ferentz and wanted him gone... Until they started churning out wins against their awful schedule. Now they're all smiles and high fives and hand that man another extension.

WOW. That quote is soooo.... Iowa fan. "I'd admit he was out of bounds." Lol :lol:

Don't think my comment deserves a new thread, so this seems like a good place to put it. In the aftermath of the game I saw several Sparty players with their heads up, seeking out some Husker players and giving congratulations. That made a huge impression on me. I can see MSU becoming our Oklahoma...a team we respect but hate to lose to. I can also see Iowa becoming our Colorado....a team we just plain hate. It may not work out that way but I think we needs those kinds of rivalries in the long run to make this conference a little better all around.

I like the idea of MSU as a rival. Well, not just a rival but a respected rival. Those are the best rivalries imo.

I met a guy at a former workplace that used to be the starting nickleback for the Sooners in the mid 70's. He told me a story about how one year the Sooners came to Lincoln and they stayed Friday night in a Lincoln hotel. (He didn't mention which one.) He said the Nebraska student body showed up outside the hotel and started singing the Nebraska fight song as loud as they could. Switzer called the cops because he couldn't sleep. When the cops showed up they told Switzer the students were only singing and that wasn't against the law so they got back in their cars and left. This guy said none of the Sooners got any sleep that night and Switzer never let the team stay in Lincoln again.

That's the kind of stuff the rivalries are made of.

Colorado? I never considered them a rival. I live in Colorado and I still laugh at people out here that talk about the old Nebraska/CU "rivalry". More like the obnoxious neighbor kid that you curbstomp every time you walk by them. That's what I envision for Iowa's future as well. ;)

It doesn't help that we have to deal with Counciltucky and Carter Lake being right next door. I'd like to think that's another valid reason to hate Iowa.

Colorado? I never considered them a rival. I live in Colorado and I still laugh at people out here that talk about the old Nebraska/CU "rivalry". More like the obnoxious neighbor kid that you curbstomp every time you walk by them. That's what I envision for Iowa's future as well. ;)

Jesus, how many kids in your neighborhood did you send to the hospital? Or dentist?

Seriously, though, if the B1G West keeps not living up to its potential, I could see MSU being placed in the West (as long as it's game with Michigan is protected every year) in exchange for a Purdue or Illinois if they decide to realign the divisions. I know MSU fans are for it (with the important Michigan caveat).

So we could get our wish to play Sparty every year...and that wouldn't be a bad thing.