University of Misery

Yeah scratch a lot of that. Seems like tons of fabrications going on all over the place.

Which sucks, because I guarantee there are genuine problems at that school like there are at most schools. But nobody will take them seriously with students trying to make stuff up for their cause.

• Fire 1

That's a pretty damning, but entirely fair article.

i've been following this somewhat. the whole ordeal looks staged, from start to finish. the prez needs to get his job back, looks like some students need to be expelled, at the least. isn't mizzou a big journalism school? something dirty going on in columbia, more so than usual...

I've no doubt that there are idiots drawn to the drama, but to say the whole thing is a hoax is an extraordinary claim to make. If that's actually the case we'll all have a very different feeling about what went down. It's interesting that there are even rooting interests here, though.

Regarding the grad student's wealth, why does that matter? If he, personally can afford it, I promise you that this is not true of every grad student.

This restriction of access is real: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article36530685.html

This issue has been real, might be ongoing: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/mu-graduate-students-respond-to-loftin-s-health-insurance-guarantee/article_22bc0170-57b2-51c9-ac02-f1a8345054f5.html

And so is the racial tension, either subtle or overt, experienced many times over in this country. You'd have to be closing your eyes not to see that.

It's not an indictment towards you, personally, nor the vast, vast majority of Americans who are not racist. It's a plea to open your eyes towards the experiences of others whose experiences may be different from yours in ways, big or small, that are easy to take for granted. There are many voices in that conversation; some reasonable, some not. Just listen. Don't dismiss it with one broad, blinders-on stroke of "racism is dead."

I've no doubt that there are idiots drawn to the drama, but to say the whole thing is a hoax is an extraordinary claim to make. If that's actually the case we'll all have a very different feeling about what went down. It's interesting that there are even rooting interests here, though.

Regarding the grad student's wealth, why does that matter? If he, personally can afford it, I promise you that this is not true of every grad student.

I obviously know nothing about this kid but I have known of students with rich parents who couldn't get a lot of the financial aid they needed because they were still considered dependent but their parents refused to help them pay for it. So they weren't getting help from home and they weren't getting grants because they came from wealthy families.

(That was kind of a big segue and might not even apply here).

That's possible, but I'm sure this was not about whether he personally was able to pay for it.

There's a very weird message in that backlash, one of "if it's not your problem, don't fight for it."

Well, that's how we get social injustice. Things that aren't most people's problems, and most people not fighting for it.

Wanting to shout down the minority in a country built on equal protection and minority protection is troubling.

Lots of really troubling stuff going on down there right now.

People being arrested for online threats on Yik-Yak, groups of white students riding around in pickup trucks terrorizing black students, kids getting emails claiming a purge happening today, some professors canceling their classes for student safety, others refusing to cancel their classes and exams despite students claiming to feel unsafe.

We are now using Tweets from HoodGirlHailey as news. Fantastic.