Props to the defense.

soup

I was surprised by the final numbers. It seemed like they had rolled up more yards than that.

Starting both of your scoring drives from your opponent's 6 and 32 yard lines helps keep the total yards down.

It was a very stingy defense out on the field yesterday, and I hope we can continue to see that against Iowa. They've been in some dogfights week in and week out, which like Michigan State, makes you question how good they really are much like Nebraska's close losses makes you question how bad we really are.

As I said with Michigan State in the week leading up to the game, there is bound to be some regression towards the mean: Iowa's more than likely not as good as they've been playing this season and Nebraska's more than likely not as bad as they've been playing this season. Playing at home with a chance to knock off another undefeated team, Top 10 team, and a chance to get to .500 on the year by winning their final three games, I'm thinking this team will be fired up and play a really solid game. One thing's certain: the crowd is going to be into this one, even if it is at 11am.

• Fire 2

The defense played very well tonight. I was honestly shocked. We still tried to give it away on offense with the incessant passing, but the defense continued to keep Rutgers from scoring. I hope this keeps up for Black Friday.

38 rushes vs. 21 passes = incessant passing?

Yes, at times. Or just passing when we shouldn't have. When you're up 21-0 with 4 minutes left in the half and your run game is doing decently, run it on first down. We passed it on 1st down two series in a row IIRC and threw 2 interceptions.

If both those passes were completions rather than interceptions, nobody is complaining about them being "bad calls." It's absurd.

These kind of argmuments were the reason the term "Monday morning quarterback" was coined.

Call plays that work!!!!11!!!1!!

The defense played very well tonight. I was honestly shocked. We still tried to give it away on offense with the incessant passing, but the defense continued to keep Rutgers from scoring. I hope this keeps up for Black Friday.

Yes, at times. Or just passing when we shouldn't have. When you're up 21-0 with 4 minutes left in the half and your run game is doing decently, run it on first down. We passed it on 1st down two series in a row IIRC and threw 2 interceptions.

The picks were just bad throws. The play calling was fine.

No it wasn't. They pinned their ears back and brought a furious pass rush and their corners aren't as bad when they know whats coming. Langsdorf played into their hands on those drives because he wanted quick points. I respect why he did it, he was looking for the knock out blow, but it was ultimately predictable. A RB draw or screen instead of down field shots on first down while under fire from their pass rush would have prevented the interceptions and put them on their heels.

Basically langsdorf got a little excited and made a mistake, Tommy didn't help matters by throwing off his back foot, and voila two interceptions.

I liked how the defense was living in the Rutger's backfield. Hopefully we can do the same against Iowa. I have always been a fan of making the QB nervous.

I did too. Hopefully we can similarly pressure Beathard.

I'm a little worried about his running ability but he did get sacked a couple times.

I've only been able to watch Iowa once this year, so I haven't seen them operate much. But Beathard played well against us in the past. On the other hand, we played Taysom Hill pretty well in game one, so hopefully we can contain any QB runs since we'll know to look for them.

Bethard is not nearly the athlete that Hill is. Though he is more athletic than many QB's Iowa has had in the past. Iowa is a good solid team. They run the ball very well and are committed to running the ball. They are not going to abandon the run if it is not working early. The passing game is solid if not spectacular. There defense is good, but I think they are getting a little worn out.

They are just a good solid football team. That doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

If both those passes were completions rather than interceptions, nobody is complaining about them being "bad calls." It's absurd.

These kind of argmuments were the reason the term "Monday morning quarterback" was coined.

And yet here I was screaming at the television when he started to throw asking "why the f#*k are we passing the ball right now". Followed by, "of course it's a f'ing interception.

Even if they are completions I would ask why we were throwing in that situation. They were bad calls, that were poorly executed. But they were still bad calls.

Exactly. The passing game was working, the running game was getting pretty stuffed at the time. Plus it felt to me the running game was getting a little too predictable. I posted this in the game thread but on that first pick, Tommy should have never been throwing to Hovey in the first place. Zo was WIDE open on the right sideline. If Tommy had thrown to Zo like he should have and we scored a long td, would we even be having this conversation?

And yet here I was screaming at the television when he started to throw asking "why the f#*k are we passing the ball right now". Followed by, "of course it's a f'ing interception.

Even if they are completions I would ask why we were throwing in that situation. They were bad calls, that were poorly executed. But they were still bad calls.

Exactly. The passing game was working, the running game was getting pretty stuffed at the time. Plus it felt to me the running game was getting a little too predictable. I posted this in the game thread but on that first pick, Tommy should have never been throwing to Hovey in the first place. Zo was WIDE open on the right sideline. If Tommy had thrown to Zo like he should have and we scored a long td, would we even be having this conversation?

Probably not, but we could argue we also wouldn't be debating this had he put a little less mustard on the throw to Hovey. Hovey was open even if it doesn't look like it at a glance - a ball just a little bit lower than it was gets in Hovey's hands and over the defender in front of Hovey. It just wasn't a good throw.

The lame duck throw to Stanely Morgan was far more egregious and TA knows he has to be better than that.

I was surprised by the final numbers. It seemed like they had rolled up more yards than that.

Starting both of your scoring drives from your opponent's 6 and 32 yard lines helps keep the total yards down.

It was a very stingy defense out on the field yesterday, and I hope we can continue to see that against Iowa. They've been in some dogfights week in and week out, which like Michigan State, makes you question how good they really are much like Nebraska's close losses makes you question how bad we really are.

As I said with Michigan State in the week leading up to the game, there is bound to be some regression towards the mean: Iowa's more than likely not as good as they've been playing this season and Nebraska's more than likely not as bad as they've been playing this season. Playing at home with a chance to knock off another undefeated team, Top 10 team, and a chance to get to .500 on the year by winning their final three games, I'm thinking this team will be fired up and play a really solid game. One thing's certain: the crowd is going to be into this one, even if it is at 11am.

I thnk we are a better team than Iowa, but we shoot ourselves in the foot too often. We can beat Iowa, but I think the game is a toss up.

I thnk we are a better team than Iowa, but we shoot ourselves in the foot too often. We can beat Iowa, but I think the game is a toss up.

That makes us not a better team. Maybe potentially a better team. Still think we will beat them though.