Current Ranking 2016 Class

I can name 20 teams that NU can't consistently out recruit while staying within the rules of the NCAA and common decency.

Consistent top 10 recruiting is a pipe dream.

What we do need and can obtain is top 10 coaching. And I have doubts that's what NU has now.

I said the same thing recently and was told I haven't given Riley a chance to prove himself yet.

I learned a lot when he passed up hiring Orgeron who would have been a slam-dunk.

If you were a ceo would you hire someone you weren't 100% comfortable with in one of the most important positions?

We can talk about the hiring of Banker as not being the most inspiring, but we have zero evidence that orgeron would have been a home run hire. Maybe orgeron couldn't sell nu? maybe he's not that good of a dcoordinator? Was orgeron even looking for a dcoordinator position seeing as he was coming off of leading usc?

I can name 20 teams that NU can't consistently out recruit while staying within the rules of the NCAA and common decency.

What we do need and can obtain is top 10 coaching. And I have doubts that's what NU has now.

I said the same thing recently and was told I haven't given Riley a chance to prove himself yet.

I learned a lot when he passed up hiring Orgeron who would have been a slam-dunk.

If you were a ceo would you hire someone you weren't 100% comfortable with in one of the most important positions?

We can talk about the hiring of Banker as not being the most inspiring, but we have zero evidence that orgeron would have been a home run hire. Maybe orgeron couldn't sell nu? maybe he's not that good of a dcoordinator? Was orgeron even looking for a dcoordinator position seeing as he was coming off of leading usc?

Plus, the Huskers were trying to get away from coaches who spoke with the same type of language. This is why he keeps getting passed over!

Not to p$ss in anybody wheaties here, but suppose we do get those guys and end up around 20 or so . That would put us where "around 4th in the Big" I know that is not a bad start but we are going to have to do at least that and better for awhile if we want to win this league. I thought that was what it was about, i fear lowered expectations is becoming the norm.

Just keepin it real.

• Fire 1

Not to p$ss in anybody wheaties here, but suppose we do get those guys and end up around 20 or so . That would put us where "around 4th in the Big" I know that is not a bad start but we are going to have to do at least that and better for awhile if we want to win this league. I thought that was what it was about, i fear lowered expectations is becoming the norm.

Just keepin it real.

I guess if this staff can recruit at a level slightly better than the previous, after winning 6 games compared to 9 games year after year, my hope is the recruiting will improve and become easier as the team wins more games

Orgeron would have been the DL coach, not DC. And yes, Orergon could sell Nebraska. The guy can sell ice to Eskimos.

If you want to win a national championship, you gotta consistently be in the Top 10. That should be our goal every single year. We have to break through and start landing more 4-and 5-star talent and not majority 3-star guys, and the only way that happens is if we have a coach who can coach up our current talent and have a great year (similar to what Tom Herman this past year) and create a buzz around the program that will get top recruits' attention, and then have elite recruiters who can actually land them. Hopefully the 2017 class will be the breakthrough we've been waiting for. Landing the Calabasas crew would be huge.

We have actual proof, within our own program's history, that the bolded statement is B.S.

What this program needs is to consistently land a class between 15-25, and an elite staff of talent developers.... Do we have that now? I don't know, it's too early to tell, but I do know that Riley was hired with his ability to develop talent in mind.

Not true. Over the past 15 years, the lowest-ranked team (in recruiting over a 4-year span) was Auburn, whose cumulative ranking over that span was 12. Not to mention they had a once in a generation QB in Cam Newton. Every other team to have won it all was Top 10 in recruiting. I forget who, but there was actually a poster here who did his own research and found what a drastic difference being in the Top 10 in recruiting is when it comes to winning championships. We might not have needed to have the absolute best recruiting classes years ago when Osborne was coaching, but it's a totally different ball game now.

You don't need top 10 talent to have a shot at being in the playoffs and the NC. I do agree that you do need good coaching. TCU, Baylor, Oregon all come to mind of teams that are regularly outside the top 10 in recruiting but have been ranked in the top 10 for football for a few years now.

• Fire 1

Orgeron would have been the DL coach, not DC. And yes, Orergon could sell Nebraska. The guy can sell ice to Eskimos.

What makes you think he's such a great recruiter? Because he was able to sell the California dream in LA? It's an entirely different style of recruiting in Nebraska. How is he doing on recruiting now? I feel like we have a "back up qb situation". Everyone loves the option we could have had because it's easy to say what if.

Just keepin it real.

Personally, I think that 3rd/4th in the B1G is the realistic goal for us every year. We are never going to be able to out recruit Ohio St or Michigan just due to their location. As much as we want to look at national rankings, I will consider recruiting a success if we finish 1st in the West and in the 3rd/4th in the B1G each year.

Speaking of B1G rankings

Here is how the West looks currently on the 247 composite

1 - Nebraska - 19 commits - 206.3 pts

2 - Wisconsin - 26 commits - 204.8 pts

3 - Minnesota - 19 commits - 183.7 pts

4 - Iowa - 24 commits - 179.7 pts

5 - Northwestern - 20 commits - 174.8 pts

6 - Illinois - 21 commits - 149.2 pts

7 - Purdue - 16 commits - 127.4 pts

If you go by average player rankings

1 - Nebraska - 19 commits - .869

2 - Minnesota - 19 commits - .849

3 - Wisconsin - 26 commits - .847

4 - Northwestern - 20 commits - .845

5 - Iowa - 24 commits - .841

6 - Illinois - 21 commits - .819

7 - Purdue - 16 commits - .806

Step 1 - Get the best players in your division (looks to be happening)

Step 2 - Coach the players up to their full potential (to be determined)

• Fire 4

quote = " We are never going to be able to out recruit Ohio St or Michigan just due to their location"

No offense but as long as you have that attitude you're not going to get very far. It's just another excuse. Elite recruiters don't make excuses.