Gerry hit

Herbie87

Gerry's hit was about as close to textbook as you can get but, based on what ESPN's rules expert said about review being restricted to above the shoulders contact, I am curious if this was a situation where the replay official couldn't overturn the on the field call. From what I understood, it sounded like the official couldn't review intent/targeting, only whether the on field refs accurately saw high contact or not.

If so, then this is similar to the out of bounds call situation against Sparty where the refs could only review whether the there was contact before the receiver went out, not whether it was sufficient to force him out so the chances of overturning the call are near zero.

I don't fault the refs on the field for making a bang-bang call on what was a hard but clean hit, but the NCAA needs to revisit their replay rules. In all the targeting calls I saw this year, both for and against the Huskers, I can't think of a single one that actually penalized the sort of hit that the rule is supposed to prevent.

Maybe Gerry's tackle and ejection will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for these "targeting" fiascos.

I still am not fully recovered from Kenny Bell getting a penalty for his block in a Wisconsin game, so this is cumulative outrage for me when it comes to the pussification of college football.

• Fire 3

One of the worst I've seen, anywhere. I think the thing that infuriates me the most was they had a chance to look at it and overturn it, and didn't. How on earth can you possibly get it wrong twice?

Gerry does a couple of really smart things..... he clearly moves his helmet to the right to avoid contact with the UCLA player's helmet, for one. He made a terrific effort to keep the play clean, and they still throw him out. Shenanigans.

• Fire 1

Terrible officiating on the Gerry hit and non call on the Tommy facemask. Those were really big calls against us. Tommy fumbled on that play during a drive we were going to get points and Gerry's ejection took one of our best defenders off the field. These calls fortunately were not game changers but easily could have been had NU lost. Use the replay and get these right.

As an aside I actually expected a more lengthy review of Kalu's INT but the refs knew they had screwed up the Gerry ejection so didn't even really look at that one (who are they kidding). I don't care if it is for or against my team. I do care that they get it right and let the players on the field determine the outcome.