Oregon Militia Occupation

The Bundy's are just idiots and their supporters are even bigger idiots.

I do have some questions about the Hammonds (sp??) from Oregon though.

So, they are convicted of arson because they set fire on their property that carried over onto public lands that burned over 100 acres. My question is, was the fire supposed to be a controlled burn that would be considered normal land management and it just got away from them?? Or, were the fires set maliciously with the intent to burn federal land? Also, did they result in a forest type fire that required forest fire fighters to be deployed for which they were put in harms way?

I just don't know much about the Oregon situation other than what I read above.

If it were a normal land management fire that got out of control, I fail to see how 5 year prison sentence makes sense and I can understand people being angry. However, if it was set maliciously, then...well.....you knew what you were doing.

I'm going to first say that I in no way know all of the backstory for the Hammonds. What I have read is that their arson defense was that they were setting back fires to stop the spread of an already existing wild fire. They claim that by burning the acres on government managed land, they prevented the fire from spreading to their homes and land. They also claim that their actions helped contain the fire. I have no access to see if these statements are factual. The one thing that I know to be factual is that a controlled burn of grazing land does in fact have a beneficial outcome on new growth because it burns off dead foliage. Thus depositing nutrients into the topsoil and encouraging new growth. I know that sounds like a "duh" statement; if you burn the old stuff, new stuff will grow in its place. The new growth thrives more than range land that hasn't been burned. If you want an example and are around the Lincoln area, there the "Nine Mile Prairie" just north of Air Park. They have sections that are burned and sections left alone.

This all being said. I believe the Bundy's were looking for an opportunity inject themselves in a relevant topic. They wanted a situation were the cause they were affixing themselves to could have a sympathetic spin. I'm sure there were other land disputes that have occurred but didn't have the parameters they were looking for. The Hammond's themselves have stated that they are not affiliated with the Bundy's and should not be viewed spokesmen for their situation.

If the above defense is the truth, then I think 5 years is a bit harsh. If the sentences are reduced, then the Bundy boys and their friends will claim victory. They will spin it like they went up against the overreaching government they so loathe and won. My hope is that someone (on either side of this) with intermittent sleep, frazzled nerves, and elevated stress levels doesn't make a poor decision with their finger on a trigger.

They Bundy's, let's just say these guys are friggin morons. I've seen their ranch many times when going hunting up and around the area and have nearly killed at least 2 of their cattle since they enjoy letting them run wild and complain that they are allowed to do it on public land. These damn cows are easily 30 miles from their ranch in the middle of no where just standing in the road.

These guys want their 15 minutes of fame and I don't believe they are in it for anything else.

As for the Hammond's the actual story is they set a fire to clear out over grown brush to prevent the brush catching fire and burning down their ranch, there was no fire prior to them causing one. I'm not sure what Oregon minimum sentence is for arson, but it seems as though these guys did not receive it and now they are. Do I agree with the sentence, I have no dog in the fight so let the courts figure that out. As for the protests, these people are just looking for a fight with the local and federal governments. These guys are members of local militias and just want to see themselves on the news sticking it to the man. Same thing happened here in Nevada when the Bundy's got their panties in a bunch(which in my opinion should have lost their cattle or paid the fine as their ranch is absolutely huge and they would rather the cattle feed on public land rather than the Bundy property. It's about a 7-10 mile stretch just inside bunkerville, nv).

So, they are convicted of arson because they set fire on their property that carried over onto public lands that burned over 100 acres. My question is, was the fire supposed to be a controlled burn that would be considered normal land management and it just got away from them?? Or, were the fires set maliciously with the intent to burn federal land? Also, did they result in a forest type fire that required forest fire fighters to be deployed for which they were put in harms way?

If it were a normal land management fire that got out of control, I fail to see how 5 year prison sentence makes sense and I can understand people being angry. However, if it was set maliciously, then...well.....you knew what you were doing.

The Hammond family claims they started the fire to prevent an invasive species of weed from creeping onto their land. That's very believable. Also, the Hammond family want nothing to do with the Bundy family.

I thought they set the fire to cover up their illegal poaching?

http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/eastern-oregon-ranchers-convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison

Somewhere and probably in a large group Native Americans are laughing. Eminent domain mofos.

But, I do agreed that this is terorism. And its probably going to end up in a gun fight which will lore than likely start another pissing match

I doubt it'll end in a gun fight. This is posturing. I want to believe that these people aren't actually that stupid but the truth is often times stranger than fiction.

Somewhere and probably in a large group Native Americans are laughing. Eminent domain mofos.

But, I do agreed that this is terorism. And its probably going to end up in a gun fight which will lore than likely start another pissing match

I doubt it'll end in a gun fight. This is posturing. I want to believe that these people aren't actually that stupid but the truth is often times stranger than fiction.

No way the government wants another Ruby Ridge situation. They'll go to great lengths to avoid that, which probably explains why they haven't done anything about this situation yet.

The Hammond family claims they started the fire to prevent an invasive species of weed from creeping onto their land. That's very believable. Also, the Hammond family want nothing to do with the Bundy family.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/eastern-oregon-ranchers-convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison

Oh, I'm sure it was. I just said that is what the family claimed. However, it is a believable defense if an attorney could make the jury see why farmers and ranchers legitimately do it. All parties involved in this mess are idiots if you ask me.

• Fire 1

No way the government wants another Ruby Ridge situation. They'll go to great lengths to avoid that, which probably explains why they haven't done anything about this situation yet.

My thoughts exactly. They did wait 6 weeks at Waco though. Entirely different situation, however.

They Bundy's, let's just say these guys are friggin morons. I've seen their ranch many times when going hunting up and around the area and have nearly killed at least 2 of their cattle since they enjoy letting them run wild and complain that they are allowed to do it on public land. These damn cows are easily 30 miles from their ranch in the middle of no where just standing in the road.

These guys want their 15 minutes of fame and I don't believe they are in it for anything else.

As for the Hammond's the actual story is they set a fire to clear out over grown brush to prevent the brush catching fire and burning down their ranch, there was no fire prior to them causing one. I'm not sure what Oregon minimum sentence is for arson, but it seems as though these guys did not receive it and now they are. Do I agree with the sentence, I have no dog in the fight so let the courts figure that out. As for the protests, these people are just looking for a fight with the local and federal governments. These guys are members of local militias and just want to see themselves on the news sticking it to the man. Same thing happened here in Nevada when the Bundy's got their panties in a bunch(which in my opinion should have lost their cattle or paid the fine as their ranch is absolutely huge and they would rather the cattle feed on public land rather than the Bundy property. It's about a 7-10 mile stretch just inside bunkerville, nv).

The way I understand it, the federal minimum is 5 years for arson to a federal property. The judge in the case didn't agree with that and sentenced them to mush shorter. The feds appealed it and won to give them the minimum of 5 years.

So....the local judge agreed it was outrageous to send them away for 5 years but the Feds pushed the issue.

While I'm still doing more research on my own time, what do you guys legitimately think would happen if this was a group of either Native Americans holed up in this building demanding their land back, or a group of American Muslims holed up?

Waterboarding, and then pin their eyes open and make them watch non-stop episodes of My Little Pony.

What? You were looking for a different answer? :lol:

I'm pretty sure landowners can't just willy nilly start fires even if it's on their own property. Need to have permits for these types of things I would think.

While I'm still doing more research on my own time, what do you guys legitimately think would happen if this was a group of either Native Americans holed up in this building demanding their land back, or a group of American Muslims holed up?

Why would a bunch of American Muslims be holed up in this building? Do they want to start ranching?... It would make no sense to me.

• Fire 2

Why would a bunch of American Muslims be holed up in this building? Do they want to start ranching?... It would make no sense to me.

In a federal building that would fit a realistic context. I haven't slept in 35 hours cut me some slack :(