Poll: Who Wins, '15 vs '14 Nebraska?

zoogs

It's impressive seeing people justify how a 6-7 team that I was told over and over lacked talent would beat a 9-4 team that had so many athletes that they overcame their coach's deficiencies to reach 9 wins.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, for all the talk about how this team could have been 9-4, it's just as plausible they could have finished 4-8 or even 3-9.

This was not a well coached team for most of the year. And in terms of matchups, NU is now running the type of offense that Bo's defense used to chew up more times than not.

• Fire 1

First off, I am encouraged that the 2015 team finished strong. That does give hope for the future.

Summary: 2015 if we consider only the end of the season only - how they finished.

2014 if we consider the full year. I think we have to consider the full year - thus the 2014 team.

If the 2015 team is coached and plays as they did against UCLA - 2015 would have a slight edge. The 2014 D would not have stopped the run. The same mistake prone QB was at the helm of both teams - so passing game is even.

The big difference would be DPE - he was injured this year but showed up big in 2014. He would be the difference maker. You also have AA from last year. While our run D was much improved this year over last, I think AA would have made his opportunities - he would have still showed up more than our running by committee from 2015 (did we ever settle on "THE Back"?) The 2015 team did not face a back wt AA's skills. I also think you have to give the 2014 an edge at receiver wt Bell, Westy (both teams), DPE, and others.

But if I have to consider the whole season, and not just the UCLA game, I would have to go wt the 2014 team - primarily due to AA, DPE, Bell, and Gregory - who would have given our young line fits and forced TA into 5 interceptions. DPE made our return game a real threat - he may have broken one for a TD and given prime field position to AA and team.

• Fire 2

14 would win. 2015 never established the run besides against a depleted upfront UCLA team. If you were going to beat 2014 Huskers it better be on the ground and 2015 was not very good at just running the ball. Dont trust 2015 Tommy to win in the air against our pass defense which is what he would have to do. 2014 would hit explosive plays against our defense bc we are very similar in scheme to Mich St and we always moved the ball well against Mich St.

Trust Tommy in 2014 system more than 2015, also the RG4 and AA.

Would love to see the post game pressers.

• Fire 2

if the 2014 squad played like it did against Wisconsin or the first 3 quarters of the MSU game then they wouldn't win.

We can say the same about the team that played 8 quarters against Purdue and Illinois in 2015...

What about those two teams playing against each other? Woof.

• Fire 1

Which '15 team? The one who played Purdue or the one who played UCLA?

My intent was the ones who played against UCLA & USC, respectively, but it can be answered in whatever terms you like.

However, I would say let's make Tommy, Newby, Gates, Alonzo Moore, Cockrell, and Jonathan Rose available for this one.

It's impressive seeing people justify how a 6-7 team that I was told over and over lacked talent would beat a 9-4 team that had so many athletes that they overcame their coach's deficiencies to reach 9 wins.

Oh, this angle is there for anyone so inclined. If people are voting '15 -- "See? The '15 team had talent. The coaches are the ones who suck." If people had voted '14 -- "See? We changed coaches, and went backwards. The new coaches suck."

Personally, I think it's encouraging that there are a decent number of Husker fans (I wouldn't claim this to be representative; it's not a scientific poll, after all) who feel better about where this year's team ended up, despite the record. It shows faith in the coaches and optimism in the direction. YMMV.