Ex - Husker Parrella to be named Husker D-line coach

Mavric

>>The coaching road Parrella has traveled over the last decade -- high school, junior college, Division II program -- was purposeful. He wanted to expand his knowledge of teaching the game at lower levels of the sport before he ascended higher into the business.

"I didn't want to be a guy who used his NFL card to be standing on the sidelines," Parrella said. In effect, he wanted to earn his coaching stripes a little bit.
>>Parrella does have a defensive line manual that he's been keeping for years and updating with teaching pointers and philosophies. He took that manual to his interview with Riley in Denver. Parrella thought he did the best he could in that interview. Riley told several reporters, including the World-Herald's Tom Shatel, that he was blown away in that interview by Parrella.

OWH

I can't believe how wrapped up we as fans are about the DL coach. It's one assistant coach, not even the OC or DC. I can't even name the DL coach from the 95 team off the top of my head.

It important because of the abject failure of DL recruiting this year more then anything else. We have some underclassmen coming up but its goddamn bare after that. Its going to be the single biggest recruiting need this coming year.

Are the other coaches not going to recruit the DL?

I'm sure others will, but it's important for the position coach to make connections with potential d-line recruits since he is the one they will be working with the most if they come to Nebraska.

And as fans we have any insight into whether this is true for one DL coach vs another? Much ado about nothing.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but I think the point olddominion was trying to make was that the former DL coach didn't get it done on the recruiting front. In addition, two d-linemen decided to declare for the draft early. One could argue this was also a "recruiting" loss too. I think Collins leaving wasn't too surprising. I'm pretty sure he was gone regardless. However, I do question why a guy who had a very average to below average year decided to leave early. Didn't like the coach, he already had his degree, he feared having another injury plagued year, etc. There could be many different answers, and obviously we will never know the true answer, but the numerous misses on the d-line does show a weakness in recruiting. Especially when other positions seemed to have a pretty solid recruiting class (DBs and LBs, specifically). I'm not saying the new hire is an improvement in recruiting or coaching, but I do know that d-line recruiting was bad this past season and obviously the head coach thought so too.

You know what impresses me most?

John Parrella used to be huge. A perfect body for a defensive lineman, but the kind of body that will kill you as you get older.

He's in damn good shape. That's a sign of personal discipline. So I'm guessing he walks the walk.

Agree. Stai said that he played around 290 and is now around 220. That is something that is SO important for these guys when they stop playing.

• Fire 1

John Parrella used to be huge. A perfect body for a defensive lineman, but the kind of body that will kill you as you get older.

He's in damn good shape. That's a sign of personal discipline. So I'm guessing he walks the walk.

Agree. Stai said that he played around 290 and is now around 220. That is something that is SO important for these guys when they stop playing.

And not only that, he was among the strongest players in the league. I always liked Parrella and I'm glad he's getting this opportunity.

Raiders-Buccaneers-2003-015.jpg

Some guys actually have to work very hard and eat ungodly amounts of food to maintain that weight. Those types of guys drop the weight off pretty easily. Some guys are just naturally big and have to really work to keep their weight down.

I knew a walk on O-linemen from a couple years back had to work really hard to keep his weight at about 285 on a 6'4" frame. Went to his wedding a year after he quit football an he weighed about about 230 and I don't think it was too hard for him to lose the weight.