Presentation of the game

dvdcrr

So I was watching the original broadcast of the 1971 Nebraska Oklahoma game which has been posted online. And while thoroughly enjoying the game, it occurred to me, where are all the commercials? There were very few, and much more viewing time, was just football. Commercials have really gotten out of hand, as well as excessive review and replay. The game viewing experience really suffers and the games are much longer.

Also, even with huddle, time between snaps and possessions back then seemed less! The officials made the call, spotted the ball and the game progressed. It seemed a much better product to me.

Find it, watch it and tell us what you think!

It seems unfortunate to me that the viewing experience and the game itself has to suffer because of all these commercials, replays, and reviews. And they are only planning to make things worse with more booth initiated stoppages.

My questions for discussion are where do you see this going in the future, and what do you think about the current viewing experience?

• Fire 1

No question the TV viewing experience has deteriorated in many ways over the decades since the 1970s but this is true of all television really. TV shows today are very poor at best. For me, there is very little worth watching on television any more. Even with literally hundreds of channels, there was better quality television programming back when we had ABC, NBC, CBS and public broadcasting channel. When original sat TV came along with the big dish antennas in the back yard (it was free then of course) and HBO and a couple others added movies without commercial interruptions, it was the best time for television.

Now, the commercials are awful - poor quality, poor writing, poor presentation, repeated literally dozens of times a day, etc. Sound is excessive so you have to mute the sound duriing the commercial breaks or find yourself clicking over to other stations hoping to avoid the ads. Back in the day, the commercials were actually entertaining. Even on TV's so called 'best day' during the Super Bowl, the ads were poor and excessive and awful.

Football games are so interrupted by TV that even sitting in the stadium during TV covered games are rather disjointed and delays seeming endless. The NCAA should cap the total number of minutes of commercial interruption time to no more than 40 minutes from opening kick off to final gun, time outs, etc included. Viewership would skyrocket and ad prices accordingly. The money would be better for all parties and think how much more good programming could be included with half as many ads.

No question the TV viewing experience has deteriorated in many ways over the decades since the 1970s but this is true of all television really. TV shows today are very poor at best. For me, there is very little worth watching on television any more. Even with literally hundreds of channels, there was better quality television programming back when we had ABC, NBC, CBS and public broadcasting channel. When original sat TV came along with the big dish antennas in the back yard (it was free then of course) and HBO and a couple others added movies without commercial interruptions, it was the best time for television.

Now, the commercials are awful - poor quality, poor writing, poor presentation, repeated literally dozens of times a day, etc. Sound is excessive so you have to mute the sound duriing the commercial breaks or find yourself clicking over to other stations hoping to avoid the ads. Back in the day, the commercials were actually entertaining. Even on TV's so called 'best day' during the Super Bowl, the ads were poor and excessive and awful.

Football games are so interrupted by TV that even sitting in the stadium during TV covered games are rather disjointed and delays seeming endless. The NCAA should cap the total number of minutes of commercial interruption time to no more than 40 minutes from opening kick off to final gun, time outs, etc included. Viewership would skyrocket and ad prices accordingly. The money would be better for all parties and think how much more good programming could be included with half as many ads.

I think the quality of TV programming has been awesome the past 10 years. There are so many channels and outlets that it really opens up the opportunity for quality programming. Now, the quality of network TV has gone downhill, but the better shows are now on HBO, other cable channels, and alternative TV outlets (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). The best writers, directors, etc. are doing TV shows rather than movies.

lol please

TV shows today are better than they ever have been. TV has finally reached the level of being on par with film, and not just a low budget little sister. Sure, the market is saturated with crap, but the highest peaks are way, way, way the hell higher than they were 20-30-40 years ago.

I think the quality of TV programming has been awesome the past 10 years. There are so many channels and outlets that it really opens up the opportunity for quality programming. Now, the quality of network TV has gone downhill, but the better shows are now on HBO, other cable channels, and alternative TV outlets (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). The best writers, directors, etc. are doing TV shows rather than movies.

Right, but I think the OP meant specifically live sporting events on TV, and not scripted television. Live sporting events have declined in quality, mostly due to the saturation of commercials IMO, like the OP pointed out.

But yeah, you can't lump scripted TV in with live TV--they're two distinct things, and we are in a golden age with the former in terms of available programming, choice, and quality.

• Fire 1

My biggest issue with the way games are viewed on TV is the directors try to use way too many views in between snaps and so often you see the wide view of the field and the formation immediately before the snap. I don't need to see 10 seconds of a close up of the QBs head. I want to see what is going on on the field. Heck, there are times when you even actually miss the snap.

Unfortunately, the play reviews are going to stay. Personally, I would rather have them getting the calls right. We would probably have another NC from 93 if it were available back then.

Again...Unfortunately, commercials are here to stay also. After all, that's how we are able to get so much money from TV deals to have the great program we all love and want.

Now....convince the directors they don't need to be so "creative" in all their up close views between plays.

And...yes...TV is better now than in 1970.

• Fire 1

I think watching games on TV is pretty awesome right now. I enjoy the replays that are shown and all the different camera angles. Pylon came is freaking awesome!!! I also love the camera that is on the cables above the field, as long as that view is only used for replays. It's disorienting when they try to show live action from alternate camera angles.

One of the biggest reasons that games are longer is the proliferation of spread, hurry up offenses. There are simply more snaps in college football games than were 20 years ago. Joel Klatt from Fox Sports had a podcast series on how to improve college football, and one of his recommendations was to use NFL clock rules (no stopping the clock after first downs) during the game, except for under 2 minutes in each half. The reduction in snaps would also help reduce the number of injuries and improve player safety.

• Fire 2

I think watching games on TV is pretty awesome right now. I enjoy the replays that are shown and all the different camera angles. Pylon came is freaking awesome!!! I also love the camera that is on the cables above the field, as long as that view is only used for replays. It's disorienting when they try to show live action from alternate camera angles.

I agree with the bold, that watching at home is great. You see way more than you can at the stadium, better angles, slo-mo replay, overall a great experience.

Unfortunately, that's come at the expense of those attending the games. Sitting in the stands with that jerkface in the red shirt holding up the game while umpty-seven Tide commercials play may make great money for the network and the school, but it sucks for us sitting there waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Between the interminable TV commercials and the expense of the tickets, it's becoming harder and harder to convince myself to continue buying season tickets. And I'm far from alone in that regard.

• Fire 2

Wish I could see more of what is going on in the secondary when I watch on TV. That is the one viewing aspect of going to a game I enjoy better. You can see the route combinations and the secondary responsibilities.

I would pay extra money to be able to watch the game from the tight angle and just focus on the box.

• Fire 1

Wish I could see more of what is going on in the secondary when I watch on TV. That is the one viewing aspect of going to a game I enjoy better. You can see the route combinations and the secondary responsibilities.

I would pay extra money to be able to watch the game from the tight angle and just focus on the box.

NFL.com has the All-22 view for replays of the games. It's an extra service that you can buy. I know that doesn't help for Husker games or college football, but just giving you an FYI.