Grindle Leaving Huskers for Brewers

Mavric

A veteran of the Husker Sports Network, Grindle this week landed a job with the Milwaukee Brewers' official radio broadcast team, which features Uecker, 82 -- who years ago was given the unofficial title of "Mr. Baseball" by television talk-show host Johnny Carson.

Grindle's new job will include play-by-play duties for as many as 50 games this coming season as well as social-media components, including a weekly podcast.
"It's exciting," Grindle said. "I've been at Nebraska 10-plus years and never really thought I'd leave. I haven't really actively sought to ever leave Nebraska. But I always thought if I was going to grow my career on air, that probably the best route for me would be the MLB route because (baseball) has been where the majority of my play-by-play experience has been over the last 10 years. And I would never have left Nebraska for another college."
Grindle has teamed with Greg Sharpe on play-by-play for Nebraska baseball. This past football season, Grindle was public-address announcer at Memorial Stadium while handling sideline reporting for away games.

LJS

• Fire 1

What a job. I would love to call baseball games.

I would be a cool job, but also would be such a hard job every night. You never know if it's going to be a close game or blowout, and there is so much down time in the game. I have always had a fondness for listening to baseball games on the radio though. The best announcers are story-tellers each night.

• Fire 1

I have always had a fondness for listening to baseball games on the radio though. The best announcers are story-tellers each night.
Vin Scully is the GOAT

I have always had a fondness for listening to baseball games on the radio though. The best announcers are story-tellers each night.
Vin Scully is the best to ever announce a game IMO

Vin Scully is the GOAT

Vin Scully is the best to ever announce a game IMO
Oh yeah, Vin is the best. I grew up listening to him do the NBC game of the week every Saturday afternoon.

Good riddance traitor!! Go Cubs!!

LOL That's funny right there - I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Personally, I haven't much cared for most of the announcers that have done the Sports Nightly, etc. for a long time. I enjoy Matt Davison of course but after that it gets hard to name some good ones. Too much 'filler' and not enough real insight. There are many topics they don't discuss or barely mention and get the audience interested and then quickly shift gears to another topic or even sport. I finally lost interest altogether and haven't listened to Sports Nightly for over a year at all. I would guess audience numbers are awful. No doubt it's tough to talk about losing games over and over but there are many interesting angles to discuss. Sadly, too much negativity and not enough details. The Athletic Department apparently doesn't help by providing inside information (times, practice notes, individual players interests, etc.).

• 4 months later...