Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Fyfe said there is a lot more read option this year. Had a lot more of it vs UCLA as well. The coaches didn't have time to prioritize learning/installing the read option much last year. Had all bowl practice and the off season now.

If I'm wrong I will be very happy to be wrong, but we had plenty of practice footage of zone reads last year as well and never really saw it.

Fyfe said there is a lot more read option this year. Had a lot more of it vs UCLA as well. The coaches didn't have time to prioritize learning/installing the read option much last year. Had all bowl practice and the off season now.

If I'm wrong I will be very happy to be wrong, but we had plenty of practice footage of zone reads last year as well and never really saw it.

I think the staff knows what they have with TA. A strong arm but not a natural passer. They saw what he can do when relaxed and to get him relaxed, let him run a but more. Year 2 after a 6-7 season, wins are vital. They will get em however they can I would hope.

I think we averaged around 8 called rushes for Tommy and a half dozen improvised scrambles per game last year.

That's not a bad use of Tommy's legs. I'd like to see a couple more called rushes a game.

I think the missed opportunity was for Tommy not to take off running EVERY TIME the defense gave him so much green on those pass plays. Not only would those have been good rushing yards, it would eventually loosen up the defensive secondary so he's not forcing throws into good coverage.

• Fire 2

I think we averaged around 8 called rushes for Tommy and a half dozen improvised scrambles per game last year.

That's not a bad use of Tommy's legs. I'd like to see a couple more called rushes a game.

I think the missed opportunity was for Tommy not to take off running EVERY TIME the defense gave him so much green on those pass plays. Not only would those have been good rushing yards, it would eventually loosen up the defensive secondary so he's not forcing throws into good coverage.

I mostly agree although I would say it depends on the kind of called runs Tommy has I would like to see around 5 options plays each way with several being keepers in the course of most games, depending on the defenses we face. Forcing the secondary to come up to tackle Ozigbo, Wilbon, Newby or company will be a great aid in opening up the 15 or 20 yard down field throws. Option plays do force the CBs and Safeties to join in run support. Fewer stand back in the pocket scrambles is probably a good thing and preferably we find open receivers and the screens and swing type passes as well as RB draws and QB draws also take heat off the passer. Defenses have to be on guard to a variety of possibilities so they feel at risk if they tee off and all out rush the QB.

I want to see TA take off on passing plays. A few scrambles for big yards will slow down the D-line and make the rest of the D nervous.

I'd bet money that Tommy will end up running at a very similar rate as last year. Remember that our offensive coaches barely even have a sniff of the idea of a running quarterback - they're old school, pro-style, west coast guys all the way. The fact that Tommy had the rushing year he did under Langsdorf, with an unexpected but pleasant amount of designed QB run game, is already a huge testament to our offensive staff trying new things and being willing to adapt their vision to their players, but to go any more run heavy at the QB position just because we think we might have a solid backup is a stretch in reasoning, imo. I'd look for our offensive gameplan and approach to be very similar to what it was last season.

There have been some pretty good running west coast QBs. Montana, Yound and Gannon come to mind. I wish our staff would encourage TA to take off instead of forcing passes into coverage.

to be honest, if POB is the hot shot everyone thinks he is, he should be the #2 guy at least by mid season. besides, other than TA, who is his competition, really?

Also if that is the case, then we should see TA running more often because we will have a capable backup unlike last year so we won't need to play it safe with TA.

exactly.

this won't happen

I don't understand not letting TA run for fear of injury. Running is his biggest strength. IMO, the entire defense slows down if they are afraid TA will take off running. When TA is standing in the pocket he is a turnover machine, so maybe the #2 QB is just as good as an immobile TA.

Fyfe sucks as a runner and a passer. They knew if TA went down, they had no chance at winning a game past that point at which TA was hurt.

I think the staff knows what they have with TA. A strong arm but not a natural passer. They saw what he can do when relaxed and to get him relaxed, let him run a but more. Year 2 after a 6-7 season, wins are vital. They will get em however they can I would hope.

Yes, you would hope so. TA should have the freedom to run whenever he sees the opportunity present itself.

Do you ever get tired of bashing on college age kids AF? I happen to know Ryker and his whole family. Nicest people you could ever meet. We've already established that your knowledge of football is pretty limited since you think Callahan was a great coach. Pretty low class in my my opinion.

• Fire 1

Do you ever get tired of bashing on college age kids AF? I happen to know Ryker and his whole family. Nicest people you could ever meet. We've already established that your knowledge of football is pretty limited since you think Callahan was a great coach. Pretty low class in my my opinion.

Being nice doesn't make you a good football player. Just sayin'

• Fire 1

Being nice doesn't make you a good football player. Just sayin'

Exactly, being a good person has zero to do with anyone's ability to play the game of football and sometimes the truth hurts. All he has to do is watch the Purdue game to see that.