Star Wars: Rogue One

:P That's okay.

It's been a really long time since I've seen the originals. Maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake!

But as much as I liked Star Wars, TFA raised it to a new level for me. And I really feel Rogue One fell short -- except in production; it was beautiful cinematography (but so is Transformers, probably?)

What it tried to pass off as character development, though...Pitch Perfect 2 was better, to try to come up with a somewhat reasonable comparison from my limited repertoire of recent movies :P (Ensemble cast, main characters, a bunch of side characters, a plot that is mainly an excuse to {Do Star Wars Things}/{have a musical}). And PP2 was pretty lacking in this area.

Here is the correctly ordered list from best to worst, for anyone interested.

1- New Hope (I mean come on-this one started it all. At the time it was groundbreaking stuff)

2- Rogue One

3A- Force Awakens (I really didn't like it that much originally but upon further viewing...)

3B- Empire Strikes Back

5- Phantom Menace (IDK, I loved the pod racing)

6- Revenge of Sith (lots of good story and plot stuff but Anakin....oof)

7- Return of Jedi

8- Attack of Clones (but I hated Hayden Christianson in both he did, too much whine whine whining)

I will admit I'm not near as committed to the franchise as many of you but I have and always will go to the theatre for Star Wars.

If somebody asked me which ones I enjoy watching the most, it'd go in this order:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. The Force Awakens

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Rogue One

6. The Phantom menace.

7. Attack of the Clones

8. Revenge of the Sith.

Best to worst overall:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Return of the Jedi

4. The Force Awakens

5. Rogue One

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

It's just impossible to put The Phantom Menace anywhere higher than eight in the overall best to worst. Not only is it a bad movie, but you can completely skip it and not really miss any major plot points that impact the rest of the movies.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. The Force Awakens

5. Rogue One

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

So I take it you're a big Revenge fan and really, REALLY can't stand ROTJ. ;)

Damn! Fixed.

Rogue one has some cool scenes, but overall, it's a bit of a mess. It's behind the OT for sure, and muddled somewhere in with the prequels.

I'm with you - personally, I don't understand why it's ranked so highly on people's lists. I think it has a lot of storytelling concerns (too many characters, plot holes, too much technical explanation and planet-hopping, and there are some themes that could've played into the larger universe that didn't get time to develop.) It's also just a big fat downer.

When I first heard Rogue One was coming out years ago, I thought it was a Netflix series. I still think it would've been much better in this format.

• Fire 2

Rogue one has some cool scenes, but overall, it's a bit of a mess. It's behind the OT for sure, and muddled somewhere in with the prequels.

I'm with you - personally, I don't understand why it's ranked so highly on people's lists. I think it has a lot of storytelling concerns (too many character, plot holes, too much technical explanation and planet-hopping, and there are some themes that could've played into the larger universe that didn't get time to develop.) It's also just a big fat downer.

When I first heard Rogue One was coming out years ago, I thought it was a Netflix series. I still think it would've been much better in this format.

Yup. It would have been better as an off shoot of Star Wars: Rebels.

The hindsight revision of TFA and Rogue One is really funny.

Not saying this about anyone in particular, but when both came out so many people were blowing their load over how great they thought they were, some of the best star wars movies ever. Now it's the cool thing to think of them as big piles of meh

That would have been a great way to do Rogue One. They have some standout acting talent and characters that could've had a chance to be interesting.

I don't think this is a revision, at least not on my part. I didn't see RO in theaters, and my position on it has been unchanged since I watched it. While it fared strongly on Rotten Tomatoes, none of these storytelling criticisms feel new to me. IIRC, plenty was said about them at the time (though I was trying my best to avoid reading through in-depth reviews prior to watching).

TFA is in the same boat. The people who think it's meh now did so when it came out. For my part, I still absolutely adore it -- but I don't think posters here are being inconsistent about it. Likewise, Rogue One is really high on a lot of people's lists here.

• Fire 1

The hindsight revision of TFA and Rogue One is really funny.

Not saying this about anyone in particular, but when both came out so many people were blowing their load over how great they thought they were, some of the best star wars movies ever. Now it's the cool thing to think of them as big piles of meh

Personally, I don't know of any friends/family that really liked Rogue. Criticisms heard then are still very present. Most enjoyed TFA but still wouldn't put it above the OT.

I've always been surprised by anyone who thought either was one of the best of the series. TFA is certainly better than ep. 1, 2 and 3, but it's far too similar to A New Hope in concept and I just can't get over that. I love watching it and think it's fun, but calling it great (or putting it as one of the best in the series) is a bit much for me.

And Rogue just isn't a great movie IMO for the reasons I listed above. It's not bad, but it's pretty meh.

As far as I know, I don't have any other posts on the internet that contradict myself. :lol:

Edited by Enhance89
  • Fire 2

I'm with you - personally, I don't understand why it's ranked so highly on people's lists. I think it has a lot of storytelling concerns (too many characters, plot holes, too much technical explanation and planet-hopping, and there are some themes that could've played into the larger universe that didn't get time to develop.) It's also just a big fat downer.

I think some (myself included) may rank it higher because of the time frame and story it deals with. I like it because I liked New Hope and it deals with how they acquired the death star plans. That is a good story to tell since New Hope is about putting that to use.

I try to not get too bogged down in the details of what constitutes good film making etc. and prefer to just try to enjoy being entertained. Of course if they terribly botch elements of the film that can influence how the movie is perceived. But I didn't think Rogue One screwed up enough to impact my enjoyability so I ranked it #2 behind New Hope.

I fully understand how others who look at these things more technically may feel differently.