RIP Satellite camps - Back from the Dead (4/28/16)

If correct, it makes sense - those with the most fertile recruiting areas voted against.

Yeah, the conferences voted exactly along fairweather/foulweather lines. Except the MWC. Why would the Mountain West Conference vote against this? Hello Boise, Wyoming and Colo State, you no understand what's going on?

So does that mean Iowa can't even do their annual spring practice in des moines after this year?

Nope, this is only about the recruiting camps. It doesn't stop Harbaugh from doing spring practice in Florida again either.

OK....you are going to have to explain that to me.

So, we can't do satellite camps but we can go to California and hold spring training?

you would have to ask the ncaa to explain that....the logic escapes us mere mortals.

IIRC, so long as the whole teams goes to the practice, it is ok i.e. Michigan spring this year. But the staff going to assist with camps is now illegal.

The ncaa can officially go **** itself

I concur. There needs to be more impartiality as to how the NCAA approaches things. For example, why did Southern Cal, and Ohio State get reprimanded much more severely than Ole Miss?

It needs to go to federal court is where it belongs and the SEC can go ***** itself

This "ruling" marks the official beginning of the end... of the NCAA.

None of this even passes the common sense test. There was never any prof of harm being done to anyone by the satellite camps. The ruling is transparently for the "protection" of certain schools and conferences.

This is the equivalent of saying that a company that wants to hire a new employee and wants the best worker and intends to look nationwide for that worker... can now only put out want ads and sponsor hiring seminars in its own state. This is blatantly anti competitive.

The NCAA has now shown itself to be corrupt... and if anyone was not already aware of it... then they are well aware of it now.

We cannot have a corrupt organization running American college football.

• Fire 1

So does that mean Iowa can't even do their annual spring practice in des moines after this year?

Nope, this is only about the recruiting camps. It doesn't stop Harbaugh from doing spring practice in Florida again either.

OK....you are going to have to explain that to me.

So, we can't do satellite camps but we can go to California and hold spring training?

Big difference. One is working with recruits off your campus. The other is working with your players off your campus.

Who gives a flying rats azz? It's clear that both are for recruiting and so recruits in that area of the country can come see the program and meet the coaches.

Both are for recruiting, yes. But the camps allow for "unknowns" to perform in front of coaches in hopes of earning a scholarship without making a trip to Lincoln.

I don't know much about why this had to be dealt with in this fashion at this moment, but I'd bet money this isn't the final say in this matter.

In a year or two the NCAA will self-reportedly do it's "due diligence" and allow these camps, with restrictions and regulation. They felt forced to close the loophole as it existed currently because it was starting to get out of control with Harbaugh scheduling 30 of these and everyone trying to keep up in a wild wild west type of scenario.

The NCAA is still full of sh#t, but I can at least partially understand why, for the time being, they got rid of all this.

I agree LOMS this isn't over. Nebraska and Michigan are near the top of the list of schools who are harmed by this and both take their football very seriously. The BIG historically likes to work together though so I would guess it won't be until the BIG has at least 10 yes votes to move to the next stage of the fight. They may already have that level of support. Were I the AD at NU I'd be pressing for a class action suit to commence ASAP (after giving the NCAA a short amount of time to negotiate (a few months)). This is a fight plain and simple. If you aren't willing to throw knockout punches you lose.

I agree LOMS this isn't over. Nebraska and Michigan are near the top of the list of schools who are harmed by this and both take their football very seriously. The BIG historically likes to work together though so I would guess it won't be until the BIG has at least 10 yes votes to move to the next stage of the fight. They may already have that level of support. Were I the AD at NU I'd be pressing for a class action suit to commence ASAP (after giving the NCAA a short amount of time to negotiate (a few months)). This is a fight plain and simple. If you aren't willing to throw knockout punches you lose.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't see how 30 Michigan camps harms any student athlete.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't see how 30 Michigan camps harms any student athlete.

30 camps is probably a little excessive. If this ruling is changed there will be a limit on the number of camps. Along with a plethora of other rules I'm sure.

The Big Ten was the only P5 conference voting against, though. How much momentum is there really for a change back? Seems slim.

If they can get it to the courts the argument will be about the players. I don't think it'll matter how mamy conferences voted for it.

Hm, that still seems optimistic. I can't see a conference under the NCAA umbrella taking this to the court -- look at the conference heads striving to emphasis this was a 'collegial' process and they respect the vote. There will be other votes in the future they have stake in.

Also, I'm not familiar with any legal angles here, but wouldn't the NCAA be given fairly broad deference to conduct its affairs as it sees fit? Even if it stinks.