Rate Patrick O'Brien's performance

Anyway, examples of guys doing well as starters without any other real game experience doesn't refute my central argument, which is simply that NU should try to get reps for the guy they think will be a starter in 2017.

Because, no matter how well said examples did, I doubt many of their coaches wouldn't have preferred they had a little experience before their first start.

So....

along with the above, you have also stated that there really shouldn't be a throw away season to build for the future.

Putting those two statements together.

Let's say TA is playing very well and in 3-4 games we are ahead enough to get POB some snaps in the 4th quarter even though he is 4th on the depth chart from practice. Afterall, he is the fan favorite for 2017.

We get late in the year and it appears that we might have what many fans would consider a pretty successful season. BOOM.....TA blows a knee and is out.

So....our options are. Play POB because afterall, he is the future because that's what all the fans see. OR....play Fyfe or Bush because they appear to be better QBs in practice....however, they have no game experience so far this year.

Seems to me throwing POB out there because he is supposed to be the future instead of who really is better as shown in practice would possibly be throwing this season away if TA goes down.

I'm betting that QB transfer, Tanner I think is his name is, will be pushing for serious playing time in 2017.

It appears quite possible that we will have a real QB controversy brewing in 2017 with a battle royale between Obrien, Gabbia, Martel, Bush, and Martel. Obviously if all you who insist we should redshirt POB to save his freshman year of eligibility have your way, we can simply let the fans decide with a big fan ballot vote for picking the starter in 2017 from amongst those four superstars without experience.

We have to build for the future or we will never have one to the level we want. This is the cycle of mediocrity that one gets into when you don't make the full blown commitment to rebuild and develop the future. I hope we have done some of this last year as we certainly didn't seem to be focused on winning now at all costs.

Not sure where you are getting that. I think all the posts I have read say if he is the 2nd string, he should get the reps in games. The problem is, it seems like some people think that even if Fyfe shows he knows the play book and is more confident and can run the offense better in practice, POB should be getting the mop up reps because he is the future.

Looks like Zach Darlington will nvr see the filed due to the concussions, eh? Too bad, could've been a good one, me thinks.

he's been moved to wr. not sure if he will ever see the field there or not....but that is why you don't see him mentioned with the qb's now.

WR, wow, thats loco! Great position for a guy who has had concussion issues: NOT! Besides, we have WRs coming out the ying yang these days.

Greg Smith[/size]@gregsmithsports[/size]#Huskers practice notes: Zach Darlington moved to WR. I'm told he has been pushing for it since last season.[/size]

6_3552441.JPG

Zack Darlington Quote # 1

0 CommentsI didn’t come here to Nebraska to play quarterback, I came to Nebraska to win. That’s what Husker nation deserves, someone that is going to put down anything that they care about to better the team around them and not just them. If there is anything I can do to help my brothers out I’m going to do it.

Holy crap do I love his attitude. What a great kid.

• Fire 1

Anyway, examples of guys doing well as starters without any other real game experience doesn't refute my central argument, which is simply that NU should try to get reps for the guy they think will be a starter in 2017.

Because, no matter how well said examples did, I doubt many of their coaches wouldn't have preferred they had a little experience before their first start.

I would prefer POB start next year as a true sophmore rather than a rfreshman. He will most likely be our starter in 2017 barring some unforeseen incident and I'd much rather see him get some game time this year. I'd like to see him with some game time under his belt and hopefully some of it while the game is still on the line.

I would prefer POB start next year as a true sophmore rather than a rfreshman. He will most likely be our starter in 2017 barring some unforeseen incident and I'd much rather see him get some game time this year. I'd like to see him with some game time under his belt and hopefully some of it while the game is still on the line.

Even though Gebbia will be a freshman next year and as strange as it will be seeing pro style guys back there I want to see what he can do.

Not sure where you are getting that. I think all the posts I have read say if he is the 2nd string, he should get the reps in games. The problem is, it seems like some people think that even if Fyfe shows he knows the play book and is more confident and can run the offense better in practice, POB should be getting the mop up reps because he is the future.

I think that's a valid position to take and you can build a very strong argument for that. Fyfe will be a senior correct? If Tommy goes down, Fyfe should probably be his replacement if he knows the playbook better etc etc. Either way, it would be wise to have POB get at least some of the mop up duty and preferably all of it simply because he is the future. From a "what's best for the team" standpoint how do you argue for anything else?

I think that's a valid position to take and you can build a very strong argument for that. Fyfe will be a senior correct? If Tommy goes down, Fyfe should probably be his replacement if he knows the playbook better etc etc. Either way, it would be wise to have POB get at least some of the mop up duty and preferably all of it simply because he is the future. From a "what's best for the team" standpoint how do you argue for anything else?
What if POB is clearly the 4th best QB behind TA,

Fyfe, and Bush. You can't play him instead of those other QB's in front of them or you would completely lose the team. If it's a fair competition, the 2nd and 3rd string guys should get the next reps after TA, and not the 4th string guy.

Question. How often is an "earned the number 2 spot" freshman QB played at 2 in practice yet held out of games so garbage time minutes don't burn a year of eligibility?

Did any of the many recent star QB's who started as RS frosh do this? Practice at 2 not scout or 3/4?

If I were Mike this is exactly what I would do this year. And if in week 4 or 6 or even 8, I wanted him to start and he was ok with it, I'd pull the shirt and roll.

I know POB is the shiny new toy, but it is kind of surprising to see that people aren't even mentioning Tanner Lee in some of these discussions for the future.

As of right now, I'd say there's a very good chance POB redshirts this year barring no injuries. Next year, Tanner Lee will be eligible to play and he has about 20 starts under his belt. I think there's a very good (and, in my opinion, likely) chance that TL is the starter in 2017 and POB is the backup.

• Fire 1

I know POB is the shiny new toy, but it is kind of surprising to see that people aren't even mentioning Tanner Lee in some of these discussions for the future.

As of right now, I'd say there's a very good chance POB redshirts this year barring no injuries. Next year, Tanner Lee will be eligible to play and he has about 20 starts under his belt. I think there's a very good (and, in my opinion, likely) chance that TL is the starter in 2017 and POB is the backup.

That's completely plausible.

My only contention is that the team should try to get some reps for the guy who is most likely to play next year, either as a starter or backup, unless the separation between Fyfe and that guy is significant.

• Fire 1

That's completely plausible.

My only contention is that the team should try to get some reps for the guy who is most likely to play next year, either as a starter or backup, unless the separation between Fyfe and that guy is significant.

I agree, which is why it'll be interesting to see what happens with POB through the summer and into fall. Conventional wisdom suggests POB is 4th on the depth chart right now, so if he still in that position by the time fall camp nears an end, I would think he'll redshirt.

What if POB is clearly the 4th best QB behind TA,

Fyfe, and Bush. You can't play him instead of those other QB's in front of them or you would completely lose the team. If it's a fair competition, the 2nd and 3rd string guys should get the next reps after TA, and not the 4th string guy.

Fair points, however, who really expects POB to be less than 2nd or 3rd to start the season? If he is as good as advertised then I expect he will be 2nd at some point during the season anyway. Of course there is no guarantee he performs up to expectations but if he doesn't then Husker football could be in trouble.