The General Election

Here's a portion of the transcript of Hillary's speech from 1996:

The fourth challenge is to take back our streets from crime, gangs, and drugs. We have been making progress on this count as a nation because of what local law enforcement officials are doing, because of what citizens and neighborhood patrols are doing, we’re making some progress. Much of it is related to the initiative called Community Policing. We have finally gotten more police officers on the street. That is one of the goals the President had when he pushed the crime bill that was passed in 1994. He promised 100,000 police and we’re moving in that direction and we can already see that it makes a difference because if we have more police interacting with people, having them on the streets, we can prevent crimes. We can prevent petty crimes from turning into something worse.

We also have to have an organized effort against gangs, just as in a previous generation we had an organized effort against the mob. We need to take these people on, they are often connected to big drug cartels. They are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kind of kids called “super-predators”- no conscious, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have got to bring them to heel. The President has asked the FBI to launch a very concerted effort against gangs everywhere. In addition, he has appointed a new drug czar. He is one of the most distinguished active military Generals we have in our country. He has already proven he knows how to interdict drugs because of his command of South American activity on behalf of the United States. General McCaffrey will make a big difference. I believe it is now time for all of us to know what we can do individually to be part of this anti-crime, anti-gangs, anti-drug effort.

Hillary Clinton is not racist.

And based upon the evidence provided, you came to that conclusion because?

Because you said she was. And every time I dig into anything you say it turns out to be half-truths, lies or exaggerations.

Basically, if you say something is true, I know it's at least half false, or entirely made up.

It's science.

• Fire 8

Why Hillary's 'super predators' comments matter: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronda-lee/hillarys-superpredator-comment_b_9655052.html

Therefore, Hillary’s comment holds more significance than simply referring to gang members. It was used to justify mass incarceration for many crack addicts and small dose marijuana users, not dealers. The focus was not rehabilitation of the addicts, but punitive punishment.

It was bad policy, bad rhetoric, and a mistake. Not only should the words be disavowed, but so too should different policies be pursued today, twenty years on. We can argue about the extent to which she has done either, but the world has certainly moved past husband's 1994 crime bill as well as the themes of broken windows, mass incarceration, zero tolerance, and "tough on crime" for the tragically flawed, disproportionately harmful policies they were.

Well, I say the world. I do mean outside of Donald Trump. He'll hit the "bad guys" so hard your head will spin. So, it kind of amuses me that Trump would hit Clinton on this, while the substance of his own instincts go right back into feeding the problem.

(And he's, to put it mildly, not so great on the rhetoric, either).

• Fire 1

Here's a portion of the transcript of Hillary's speech from 1996:

The fourth challenge is to take back our streets from crime, gangs, and drugs. We have been making progress on this count as a nation because of what local law enforcement officials are doing, because of what citizens and neighborhood patrols are doing, we’re making some progress. Much of it is related to the initiative called Community Policing. We have finally gotten more police officers on the street. That is one of the goals the President had when he pushed the crime bill that was passed in 1994. He promised 100,000 police and we’re moving in that direction and we can already see that it makes a difference because if we have more police interacting with people, having them on the streets, we can prevent crimes. We can prevent petty crimes from turning into something worse.

We also have to have an organized effort against gangs, just as in a previous generation we had an organized effort against the mob. We need to take these people on, they are often connected to big drug cartels. They are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kind of kids called “super-predators”- no conscious, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have got to bring them to heel. The President has asked the FBI to launch a very concerted effort against gangs everywhere. In addition, he has appointed a new drug czar. He is one of the most distinguished active military Generals we have in our country. He has already proven he knows how to interdict drugs because of his command of South American activity on behalf of the United States. General McCaffrey will make a big difference. I believe it is now time for all of us to know what we can do individually to be part of this anti-crime, anti-gangs, anti-drug effort.

Is this really the "supre-predators" comment being mentioned???

:facepalm: Seriously????

• Fire 1

I'm talking about your second sentence. That is completely pro Trump propaganda.

Like I said before, employing minorities is nowhere close to proving someone isn't racist. But...hey....God forbid if they would count his money.

Ok, and would you call Hillary a racist too based upon the evidence provided? And do you agree with my other comments on this topic in general that both have made faulty statements on this topic?

If you are talking about your video of her saying nice things about Byrd....no.

I don't believe that if Clinton owned an apartment building that she would secretly discriminate against black people. I don't think she would have a problem with Black people being in certain positions due to their skin color or that she has negative ideas of their race...such as them being lazy.

I do believe she has lived as a politician through a party by promising things to black people to get their vote, getting their votes and then really not caring about really helping them until the next election process.

If you want to call that racist....well....then I guess she is. But, that's not the first term that comes to mind when I think of her.

She also supported Barry Goldwater in 1964 who was staunchly against the Civil Rights Movement.

She was 16-17 at the time and Goldwater was not staunchly against the Civil Rights Movement. Goldwater supported several civil rights bills and only voted against the Civil Rights Act because he found two portions of the bill unconstitutional. Furthermore, she organized strikes on her college campus following MLK's assassination and her decision to leave the Republican Party in 1968 was heavily influenced by the party's dog-whistle racism.

• Fire 3

I'm talking about your second sentence. That is completely pro Trump propaganda.

Like I said before, employing minorities is nowhere close to proving someone isn't racist. But...hey....God forbid if they would count his money.

Ok, and would you call Hillary a racist too based upon the evidence provided? And do you agree with my other comments on this topic in general that both have made faulty statements on this topic?

I don't believe that if Clinton owned an apartment building that she would secretly discriminate against black people. I don't think she would have a problem with Black people being in certain positions due to their skin color or that she has negative ideas of their race...such as them being lazy.

I do believe she has lived as a politician through a party by promising things to black people to get their vote, getting their votes and then really not caring about really helping them until the next election process.

If you want to call that racist....well....then I guess she is. But, that's not the first term that comes to mind when I think of her.

It wasn't just what she said about Byrd. She chose to belong to a Whites Only Country Club and also called black males "Super Predators" in the 90s. She also supported Barry Goldwater in 1964 who was staunchly against the Civil Rights Movement.

Right. We understand that you don't care about apologies, or that fact that someone can change their opinion from when they were 17 years old. Good god man, my mom grew up in Mississippi and is roughly the same age as Clinton, I'm sure she's changed her opinion of how other should be treated in that time frame as well. It was a different time then. That doesn't make it right, but at least it makes it understandable when someone has changed their view in 50 years.

Well I would hope that you hold the same attitude for anything Trump did back in the 1970s. The point is that both have said or done questionable things on the race topic, and the anti-Trump crowd on here only wants to see it one way.

Because you said she was. And every time I dig into anything you say it turns out to be half-truths, lies or exaggerations.

Basically, if you say something is true, I know it's at least half false, or entirely made up.

It's science.

Nice try...I think you must be looking in the mirror after making that statement. Did Hillary Clinton belong to a White's only country club? Yes or no?

Did Hillary Clinton praise a former KKK supporter and call him her mentor? Yes or No.

Now you can continue to defend and explain away any negative positions for Hillary which you are good at doing, but therein lies the double standard.

Also, please note that, per Hillary's own campaign, because she found a supporter of Trump's that claimed to be a member of the KKK, she felt that Trump supporters are all bigots. Well we have a video of a KKK member supporting Hillary as well, so I guess she must feel her supporters should be lumped in the same group.

It's science.

Did Hillary Clinton belong to a White's only country club? Yes or no?

Do you have a source for that? I found a New York Time's article about Bill playing at an all-white country club but it doesn't mention Hillary.

It's science.

Did Hillary Clinton belong to a White's only country club? Yes or no?

Do you have a source for that? I found a New York Time's article about Bill playing at an all-white country club but it doesn't mention Hillary.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/charleston-sc/TLO00BKHJKT5QUCON

Here you go. Both were members of this club and both resigned their membership once a local paper called them out on it.

Also, it's important noting that in both the 2008 and 2016 Democratic primaries, the Obama and Sanders campaign complained of Hillary using race-baiting tactics against them as well. Even the Times and the Huffington Post called Hillary out for race-baiting, stating this when they reflected back on Hillary's 2008 campaign against Obama.

A quick trip down memory lane reveals that Clinton has a history of employing race in a divisive, cynical manner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/12/us/politics/12clinton.html

http://theweek.com/articles/567774/hillary-clinton-needs-address-racist-undertones-2008-campaign

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-rucker/can-black-people-trust-hillary_b_9312004.html

It wasn't just what she said about Byrd. She chose to belong to a Whites Only Country Club and also called black males "Super Predators" in the 90s. She also supported Barry Goldwater in 1964 who was staunchly against the Civil Rights Movement.

Right. We understand that you don't care about apologies, or that fact that someone can change their opinion from when they were 17 years old. Good god man, my mom grew up in Mississippi and is roughly the same age as Clinton, I'm sure she's changed her opinion of how other should be treated in that time frame as well. It was a different time then. That doesn't make it right, but at least it makes it understandable when someone has changed their view in 50 years.

Well I would hope that you hold the same attitude for anything Trump did back in the 1970s. The point is that both have said or done questionable things on the race topic, and the anti-Trump crowd on here only wants to see it one way.

I would. If he showed an ounce of remorse. I've never seen that though.