The General Election

I think Trump respects the women he's not attracted to. I've known men who put women in two different categories and treat them completely differently.

I'd argue he isn't attracted to Carly Fiorina. And yet, he made fun of her face in a nationally televised debate.

Ummmm Rosie O'Donnell?

Ohio and North Carolina close at 6:30 central... hopefully we know a lot more about how this election looks by 7 central. If Trump gets both, Hillary could be in trouble.

I just read that as long as you're in line by 6:30 you'll be allowed to vote. Based on the lines I'm hearing about if things are close I'm betting we don't hear too early.

Someone in here was calling for better high school education - update below.

I have younger siblings still in high school in Omaha. I just got a call from my excited younger sister who told me about how they shut down the later half of school today to hold a mock election. Everyone got in line, and got an exact replica of the Nebraska ballot. They went to the "polling place" and completed their ballots and turned them into the box, just as you normally would.

Votes were tallied, and read off at the end of the day, and students got to actually learn about the process throughout it all. I had never heard of a school doing that, and I was astonished to hear it. That's awesome, and exactly what we need to start encouraging and educating our youth. Think that was Knapp calling for something similar?

• Fire 2

I have younger siblings still in high school in Omaha. I just got a call from my excited younger sister who told me about how they shut down the later half of school today to hold a mock election. Everyone got in line, and got an exact replica of the Nebraska ballot. They went to the "polling place" and completed their ballots and turned them into the box, just as you normally would.

Votes were tallied, and read off at the end of the day, and students got to actually learn about the process throughout it all. I had never heard of a school doing that, and I was astonished to hear it. That's awesome, and exactly what we need to start encouraging and educating our youth.

That was me

I think Trump respects the women he's not attracted to. I've known men who put women in two different categories and treat them completely differently.

I'd argue he isn't attracted to Carly Fiorina. And yet, he made fun of her face in a nationally televised debate.

Ummmm Rosie O'Donnell?

Well, Rosie and Carly go through the first filter and wind up in a different category -> people who have wronged Trump.

So I'd say 3 categories:

1) Women who have wronged Trump

2) Women Trump is attracted to

3) Women Trump is not attracted to and who have not wronged him

Ohio and North Carolina close at 6:30 central... hopefully we know a lot more about how this election looks by 7 central. If Trump gets both, Hillary could be in trouble.

Neither of those are in Clinton's "firewall." She's actually expected to lose Ohio.

If she loses NH AND OH AND NC AND FL AND NV then she's in trouble.

Votes were tallied, and read off at the end of the day, and students got to actually learn about the process throughout it all. I had never heard of a school doing that, and I was astonished to hear it. That's awesome, and exactly what we need to start encouraging and educating our youth. Think that was Knapp calling for something similar?

I remember mock school elections (perhaps not quite so sophisticated) -- voting for Clinton over Dole (I think?), Bush over Gore, Bush over Kerry. Decent Americans all, so there was a real sense of who cares, let's have fun, and let's see who wins in our school.

It horrifies me that there's a generation growing up for whom this game features Donald Trump.

I remember mock school elections (perhaps not quite so sophisticated) -- voting for Clinton over Dole (I think?), Bush over Gore, Bush over Kerry. Decent Americans all, so there was a real sense of who cares, let's have fun, and let's see who wins in our school.

It horrifies me that there's a generation growing up for whom this game features Donald Trump.

I did mock elections too but it was in 3rd grade. Must've been 1992. I think all U.S. high school students should be required to take 2 semesters of American Government, and also more world history. I learned about the pilgrims and Nebraska history and the revolutionary and civil wars for about 8 years straight.

• Fire 1

Ummmm Rosie O'Donnell?

I misremembered. It wasn't actually a debate, this was in a Rolling Stone interview.

Relevant bit starts at about the 0:40 mark.

[/youtube

"Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president? I mean, she's a woman, I'm not supposed to say bad things, but really folks, come on. Are we serious?"

Her *awesome* response.

Funny how he tried to shift the parameters on what he was saying once he realized he was in trouble on it. When he was misinterpreted as talking about her face, he really meant her persona.

Hmm, where have we seen that before? Oh yeah, when he said Hillary didn't have a presidential look, what he REALLY meant was she didn't have the requisite stamina.

And there, in a nutshell, you have the rampant sexism of Donald Trump.

• Fire 1

Yeah, that's cool.

I'm a big advocate of teaching kids to vote young. Even with all the problems with our system, it's the only voice we really have.

I've been making a ballot for little knapplc to vote on. Every election, every year, locals or nationals. It used to have stuff like, "Who's your favorite bear" or "What should we have for dinner tonight, Mac N Cheese or tacos." Stuff like that. It gets a little more sophisticated every year.

This morning I got a text: "Make sure you make my ballot before we go vote Dad" So I made a ballot again. We're a little older now, so there were some grown-up questions. This year, Mr. Peabody got elected President. We voted NOT to legalize marijuana in Nebraska and TO keep the Death Penalty.

There were some teachable moments after that ballot was filled out. :D But the important thing was to vote, and make it a "thing."

• Fire 4

That's pretty dang cool of you, Knapp. Good on you man!

I agree that we need to teach our young'uns more about how our government and electoral process works. We were required to take a semester of Gov't class in my HS, and I learned very little about it outside of the basic structure and function of our federal government.

They need to teach younger people more about civic engagement and how to actually do things like register to vote or vote absentee or get involved in local politics if we want people to care more about improving the government from the bottom up instead of expecting it from the top down.

• Fire 1

My dad was always very adamant that at a minimum I vote in Presidential elections, and hr tried to get me voting in other elections too. I always encourage everyone to vote no matter who they want to vote for. I may not agree with their choices, but it's one of our most important rights, and we need to use it.