The General Election

Post Election: Blame the Russians, blame the FBI - but not the poor candidate. A decent candidate would have not had the email issue to begin with. As long as the dems keep looking to place blame somewhere else and

remain in 'denial' they won't recover from this election. I would have to think any other Dem could have, should have, and would have beat Trump. Yes, Hillary still won the popular vote but we live in a republic wt an electoral college and not a democracy with a pure popular vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/politics/hillary-clinton-russia-fbi-comey.html?_r=0

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/hillary-clinton-campaign-donors-post-mortem-232715

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/john-podesta-something-is-deeply-broken-at-the-fbi/2016/12/15/51668ab4-c303-11e6-9a51-cd56ea1c2bb7_story.html?utm_term=.c80f31eaf5cc

My prediction is one of two ways:

a) The Trump presidency is going to be so widely successful that the Dems are going to have absolutely no chance of winning 2020. He will do it be actually being decent with the economy while being pretty dang liberal on social issues. This would actually create a new found respect for the administration from me and would cement much of the support from the voters. This would ensure a victory for 4 more years. If that continues, the Dems would be forced to change policies on certain economic issues.

b) The administration is going to be a complete disaster. For which, the Dems would be able to run on basically the same exact platform and the Republicans would be the ones licking their wounds in 4 years.

What is going to be interesting is the midterms in 2 years. If the Republicans have any desire to keep control of congress, Trumps policies had better kick in quickly and be wildly successful. The Dems will NEVER throw either of the Clintons under the bus because they are the modern day Kennedy's that can do absolutely no wrong in their eyes.

Kind of agree. There won't be a middle ground wt Trump. He won't be just 'taking up space'. I like some of his cabinet picks and then I really shake my head on some. At this point I cannot predict if it A or B regarding 2020. Throw in all of the unknows from a natural disaster to a despot making trouble and then it comes down to how Trump reacts. If he reacts knee jerk like he does wt his tweets - were are in for a long 4 years. First 100 days will be critical.

Post Election: Blame the Russians, blame the FBI - but not the poor candidate. A decent candidate would have not had the email issue to begin with. As long as the dems keep looking to place blame somewhere else and

remain in 'denial' they won't recover from this election. I would have to think any other Dem could have, should have, and would have beat Trump. Yes, Hillary still won the popular vote but we live in a republic wt an electoral college and not a democracy with a pure popular vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/politics/hillary-clinton-russia-fbi-comey.html?_r=0

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/hillary-clinton-campaign-donors-post-mortem-232715

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/john-podesta-something-is-deeply-broken-at-the-fbi/2016/12/15/51668ab4-c303-11e6-9a51-cd56ea1c2bb7_story.html?utm_term=.c80f31eaf5cc

I think most people acknowledge that Hillary was a terrible candidate. However, that doesn't excuse the interference by Russia and the FBI. Imagine if the roles were reversed and Russia and the FBI helped Clinton win. Do you think that Trump and his supporters would accept that result since he was also a terrible candidate?

No one is excusing. However, I think the FBI was correct in investigating but the Director was wrong in stop, start, stop reactions.

Russian hacking - is wrong period but it is happening both ways. I saw an article someplace where they tried to hack the repubs as well but the repubs had better security. I'll have to look for that again. The hacks revealed one thing - the truth about Hillary's campaign - DNC undermining Bernie, etc and etc. The same is true of the FBI issue - Hillary shouldn't have been using a private, unsecured server for all of that SOS work. Ulitimatly she exposed herself even if the FBI director made a fool of himself going back and worth and even if the Russians illegally hacked. If she had nothing to hide, there would have been no gain by exposing or investigating nothing (all most sounds like one of those creation arguments - did nothing come out of nothing,).

I actually agree with Podesta's op ed in the New York Times. Obviously, he is in a position to feel a victim there, but it's quite extraordinary the gusto with which the FBI investigated Hillary, compared with the carelessness of their role in alerting the DNC.

The FBI's behavior in this whole saga has been quite unusual. And it's resulted in the severe distortion of these "truths" you allude to, as if they were damning rather than merely politically embarrassing.

• Fire 1

But is Sinclair trying to argue that they extended the same type of coverage to Clinton and she refused?

Scott Livingston, vice president of news at Sinclair, said the offer for extended interviews with local anchors was made to both candidates. Trump did a handful of interviews, while Sen. Tim Kaine did a few as well, though Hillary Clinton did not.

“Our promise was to give all candidates an opportunity to voice their position share their position with our viewers. Certainly we presented an opportunity so that Mr. Trump could clearly state his position on the key issues,” Livingston said. “Our commitment to our viewers is to go beyond podium, beyond the rhetoric. We’re all about tracking the truth and telling the truth and that’s typically missing in most political coverage.”

And yet, we allow people who exhibit those very traits to use this very website as a platform for their hatred and ignorance.

Makes you wonder what it takes for good people to take a stand against belligerent stupidity.

Some type of imminent threat to their personal way of life, probably.

People are more selfish and less empathetic than I realized when it comes to politics. NIMBYism seems like a big issue.

Thanks for posting this. I might get his writings. Here's another good excerpt:

Upon closer observation, it becomes apparent that every strong upsurge of power in the public sphere, be it of a political or a religious nature, infects a large part of humankind with stupidity. The power of the one needs the stupidity of the other. The process at work here is not that particular human capacities, for instance, the intellect, suddenly atrophy or fail. Instead, it seems that under the overwhelming impact of rising power, humans are deprived of their inner independence and, more or less consciously, give up establishing an autonomous position toward the emerging circumstances. The fact that the stupid person is often stubborn must not blind us to the fact that he is not independent. In conversation with him, one virtually feels that one is dealing not at all with him as a person, but with slogans, catchwords, and the like that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell, blinded, misused, and abused in his very being. Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil. This is where the danger of diabolical misuse lurks, for it is this that can once and for all destroy human beings.

• Fire 1