Keyshawn Sr. Fires Opening Shot at Oregon

cm, can you just admit that you don't understand trash talk, go back to the kiddie table, and stop creeping out our cool friends?

I get trash talk.

Just find it particularly odd coming from a parent of a recruit.

I think that if a parent of a Oregon recruit trashed NU on Twitter, many who are enjoying this bit of banter would be singing a different tune about the appropriateness of such brashness.

Which begs my previous inquiry:

Has Oregon responded? Anyone from them twittered anything back? If not, maybe it was meant for the enjoyment of our fanbase, or maybe no one really cared that much?

I think it's unnecessary to twoot what he twittered but it doesn't bother me, per se.

Damn, life can be entertaining if you let it (not directed at you cm, just in general)

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Keyshawn-Jr-surprised-by-Oregon-tweet-too-45440430

Keyshawn Johnson Jr. found out when the rest of the Twitter world did. The wide receiver just happened to be checking the social media device when his dads trash talking of the Oregon Ducks ran across his feed.

Awesome reply here:

"He doesnt tell me hes going to do any of that. Its true but its not something I would put on Twitter. I havent been there yet. Hes been there. Hes an 11-year vet, won a Super Bowl, No. 1 draft pick. He can say it."

cm, can you just admit that you don't understand trash talk, go back to the kiddie table, and stop creeping out our cool friends?

I get trash talk.

Just find it particularly odd coming from a parent of a recruit.

I think that if a parent of a Oregon recruit trashed NU on Twitter, many who are enjoying this bit of banter would be singing a different tune about the appropriateness of such brashness.

I think there's a difference between a Joe Schmoe Dad talking smack and the notorious "gimme the dam ball" KJ talking smack.

I get the "if it was someone talkin smack about NU and fans react" point but arguing hypotheticals would be chasing your own tail debate and a tiring argument. Playing devils advocate in every thread is old too.

Plus, what did KJ say about Oregon that isn't true?

Did anyone from Oregon respond, or was a tree falling in the forest?

They didnt get mad about the National Championships comment but got super offended about the knock on the jerseys... Since you know, thats the only thing they have.

They would.

Did anyone from Oregon respond, or was a tree falling in the forest?

They didnt get mad about the National Championships comment but got super offended about the knock on the jerseys... Since you know, thats the only thing they have.

Not REKT

REKT

REKTangle

SHREKT

REKT-it Ralph

Total REKTall

The Lord of the REKT

The Usual SusREKTs

North by NorthREKT

REKT to the Future

Once Upon a Time in the REKT

The Good, the Bad, and the REKT

LawREKT of Arabia

Tyrannosaurus REKT

eREKTile dysfunction

• Fire 1

I think social media is a delivery system, not a character trait, and have no doubt the notorious trash talkers on vintage Husker teams would have been all over it back in the day. Hell, they're trash talking on Twitter right now, 20 years removed from their playing days.

Before social media, trash talk was pretty much face to face, or perhaps using a beat reporter to send a message. Now you can broadcast yourself whenever you want, without sleeping on it. That's a big difference. And now the sports reporters follow every athlete's Twitter feed and generate stories from those, rather than using what used to be their privileged access.

I don't know if it's a generational thing, but everything I know about social media and young people (Under 40) suggests they have a very different concept of consequences than I grew up with.

• Fire 1

I think social media is a delivery system, not a character trait, and have no doubt the notorious trash talkers on vintage Husker teams would have been all over it back in the day. Hell, they're trash talking on Twitter right now, 20 years removed from their playing days.

Before social media, trash talk was pretty much face to face, or perhaps using a beat reporter to send a message. Now you can broadcast yourself whenever you want, without sleeping on it. That's a big difference. And now the sports reporters follow every athlete's Twitter feed and generate stories from those, rather than using what used to be their privileged access.

I don't know if it's a generational thing, but everything I know about social media and young people (Under 40) suggests they have a very different concept of consequences than I grew up with.

I don't know if the issue is a different understanding of consequences, though that could play a role. I think many people have developed a kind of shield or armor while online that makes them believe what is said and done in this arena has little to no impact in the real world. So, for example, many people wouldn't have the gusto to walk up to a stranger in public and say 'you're an effing idiot' (with more choice language of course). But, doing so online doesn't seem like as big of a deal. So, I think people understand the consequences but somehow feel safe from them online.

I think another problem is the desire to have opinions, thoughts and actions constantly reinforced by peers.

I'm in the age range you're discussing (under 40) and my Facebook/Twitter feeds consistently fill up with people seeking some kind of acknowledgement. Whether it's because they got a new car or have some hot take on a world issue, many people take to social media to have a voice. This is a good thing in some ways because people who may not have had a voice in the past now have one. It's also a bad thing because some people are idiots and shouldn't have a public platform to show it off.

• Fire 1

The 40-year-old mark is pretty apt as it relates to social media, IMO. I am just turning 40 today, in fact. I do not use my Facebook account, or any other form of social media, other than this BBS (not sure if it qualifies or not). Most of my classmates are on Facebook, but less into twitter / instagram / etc. being born after 1975 might be a good cut-off mark. I didn't own a cell phone until 1999 (senior in college) and my first smart phone was in 2011 (blackberry).

Here's what I mean by consequences:

My brother teaches at a high school in Lincoln. The football players take an oath not to drink or smoke. No one expects choir boy behavior, but just be smart about it.

So the football team has a party. There is drinking and smoking and cheerleaders wearing only their underwear. Everybody is having such a great time, they take pictures of everything and share it on YouTube.

It is immediately brought to everyone's attention because that's what YouTube is all about.

"What were you thinking?" the parents, teachers and coaches ask the football players and cheerleaders.

It honestly hadn't occurred to them they'd done anything stupid.

The business world is also urgently reminding young people that the Internet is forever, and potential employers are very much screening social media for things you shouldnt' have said or done.

Here's what I mean by consequences:

My brother teaches at a high school in Lincoln. The football players take an oath not to drink or smoke. No one expects choir boy behavior, but just be smart about it.

So the football team has a party. There is drinking and smoking and cheerleaders wearing only their underwear. Everybody is having such a great time, they take pictures of everything and share it on YouTube.

It is immediately brought to everyone's attention because that's what YouTube is all about.

"What were you thinking?" the parents, teachers and coaches ask the football players and cheerleaders.

It honestly hadn't occurred to them they'd done anything stupid.

The business world is also urgently reminding young people that the Internet is forever, and potential employers are very much screening social media for things you shouldnt' have said or done.

Well, there are two things I would go back to: one, I think if you ask any generation of parents, dating back to the beginning of the human race, teenagers have a particular knack for doing stupid things. Middle-aged adults harp on the "Millennials," and 30 years from now, the Millennials will be talking trash about how the new generation of teenagers and young adults are a bunch of idiots.

My second point would once again reference the internet and the desire for acknowledgement. If you had told those same kids to put the pictures and everything on a flash drive and play it in front of the whole school assembly, they'd likely say hell no. But, upload it to YouTube/online where there is a falsely perceived sense of seclusion, and that sounds like a pretty funny/cool idea. At least from my perspective, I don't think it's a misunderstanding of consequences, but people instead viewing consequences through a different lense online.

We did incredibly stupid things when we were teenagers. If anything, today's teenagers are more aware of the dangers of drugs and drunk driving, and the uncoolness of bullying, vandalism and other acting-out behavior.

The "desire for acknowledgement" is a good point. Social media is a short cut for that. It's a parallel world that we did not have. Not necessarily good or bad, but a genuine game-changer.

And I would argue that if you don't understand how posting compromising, insulting and sometimes illegal activity on the global and eternal internet might hurt you and others, then you don't understand consequences.

I think social media has also created an entire "haters gonna hate" dynamic that I personally find over-inflated and tiresome. Teenagers will always be the same and the next generation will always think they're different, so take this with a grain of salt: the level of narcissism in this country has shot through the roof. And one of the key signs of narcissism is having no clue that you're a narcissist.