*** 2019 Recruiting ***

52 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:
Some thoughts from Chip Kelly on how things are different coaching kids these days.  I agree with him, and finding ways to help them retrieve information is key.

There may be some truth to that.  But just because they aren't memorizing phone numbers doesn't mean they aren't memorizing other things.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There may be some truth to that.  But just because they aren't memorizing phone numbers doesn't mean they aren't memorizing other things.

I guess working with high school students all the time, I see how terrible many of them are at remembering things. Is it different than when I was that age, I think so, but that could be me misremembering.:dunno:D

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I guess working with high school students all the time, I see how terrible many of them are at remembering things. Is it different than when I was that age, I think so, but that could be me misremembering.:dunno:D

While technology enables us to get information at the tip of our thumbs, it is having a negative impact on our brains. For example, when people constantly use GPS to get directions while driving, the people aren’t using a portion of the brain which has been used in past generations. The brain has been utilizing a sense of direction since the spawn of man, but now it’s not being used. This has led to the deterioration of the brain and can lead to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.

When I was young, I thought it was great to know a lot of facts and remember a lot of things. I have a strong ability to do so to this day, although a lot of the knowledge is useles. Now, there is no incentive to remember facts or information, so I can see why it could impact kids in learning and retaining things. Yes, they may be able to learn things a different way now, but it may still be difficult to teach the kids how to remember items (such as a playbook or signals). 

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While technology enables us to get information at the tip of our thumbs, it is having a negative impact on our brains. For example, when people constantly use GPS to get directions while driving, the people aren’t using a portion of the brain which has been used in past generations. The brain has been utilizing a sense of direction since the spawn of man, but now it’s not being used. This has led to the deterioration of the brain and can lead to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.

When I was young, I thought it was great to know a lot of facts and remember a lot of things. I have a strong ability to do so to this day, although a lot of the knowledge is useles. Now, there is no incentive to remember facts or information, so I can see why it could impact kids in learning and retaining things. Yes, they may be able to learn things a different way now, but it may still be difficult to teach the kids how to remember items (such as a playbook or signals). 

I'd want evidence that not using maps is leading to brain deterioration and Alzheimer's. The difficulty in removing confounding factors (like the changes in our diet especially over the last 100 years) makes me strongly question causal links like these.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'd want evidence that not using maps is leading to brain deterioration and Alzheimer's. The difficulty in removing confounding factors (like the changes in our diet especially over the last 100 years) makes me strongly question causal links like these.

It's more along the line of "relying on GPS devices reduces brain activity in a critical area of the brain.  The less brain activity in this area, it leads to the brain deteriorating in the similar areas of brain deterioration/lack of activity found in Alzheimer's and dementia patients.

Yes, there are many factors that can lead to Alzheimer's/dementia, but when people stop using parts of their brains which have been used "forever" it's going to have negative aspects.  I tell my kids to watch where we are going when we are in the car, because having a "sense of direction" and using that part of your brain is important to overall cognitive skills.

Edit:  Adding some links to research being done in this area.

http://time.com/4309397/how-gps-is-messing-with-our-minds/

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/gps-satnav-navigation-affects-brain-spatial-reasoning.htm

https://www.livescience.com/58348-using-gps-devices-turns-off-brains-gps.html

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's more along the line of "relying on GPS devices reduces brain activity in a critical area of the brain.  The less brain activity in this area, it leads to the brain deteriorating in the similar areas of brain deterioration/lack of activity found in Alzheimer's and dementia patients.

Yes, there are many factors that can lead to Alzheimer's/dementia, but when people stop using parts of their brains which have been used "forever" it's going to have negative aspects.  I tell my kids to watch where we are going when we are in the car, because having a "sense of direction" and using that part of your brain is important to overall cognitive skills.

I don't buy that reasoning. If it were true, then human brains have been deteriorating for millennia because we don't use the "hunting", "fishing", "avoiding predator", "carving stone", "making wicker baskets", etc. etc. part of the brain.

45 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't buy that reasoning. If it were true, then human brains have been deteriorating for millennia because we don't use the "hunting", "fishing", "avoiding predator", "carving stone", "making wicker baskets", etc. etc. part of the brain.

The human brain has inherent, cognitive spatial awareness, located in a specific area of the brain..  By not utilizing that spatial awareness, you are losing that brain activity.  People need to utilize that area of the brain or it will atrophy/deteriorate.  Believe what you will, but the practices/activities which humans don't physically do as much is not the same thing.  It's an apples to oranges comparison. 

I still have the same sense of direction I had before I started relying on GPS. I just don't memorize individual streets/locations in the same way - I still always know which direction I'm going??

As far as apples to oranges - why can't fruit be compared?

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***