Gun Control

lol nope

PJZlHxk.png

Oh my heavens, what will I ever do.. A poster is ignoring my posts. I have lost the will to go on!

Huskerfan, really? We are talking about gun issues and you make this comment. Please do not inflate (add too) the national statistics regarding suicide and guns. If you need someone to intervene, please reach out to a mental health expert! :o

We are not talking about gun issues, we are talking about gun control! In case you didn't realize, it was a joke, as in I couldn't care less if someone has me on ignore!

Simmer down Huskerfan2000, it was "sarcasm" referring to this being a gun thread, and your statement that you had lost the will to go on. jeesh! However, the fact that you pointed out the word "Control", I am wondering if that specific word has anything to do with the crux of why some pro gun advocates are so against even nominal modifications to our process?

It appears I suck at sarcastic humor. 3 times this past week I thought I was being funny and all three times, nothing! :cry

Here's how I see this issue. It's like so many other political issues in this country. Both sides are so full of BS that the real facts of the issues really will never be found or discussed.

First, you have two groups of people who, if you open up your mind:

a) Rural people who grew up hunting and shooting and they have never been around gun violence or anyone who they would think would be threatening with a gun. These people look at their gun ownership and flat out don't understand why someone would even think about taking them away and they look at the constitution and say.."Hey....you CAN"T take them away".

b) Mostly urban people who have NOT grown up around guns, have no clue how to handle them and honestly....are clueless as to why anyone would ever want anything to do with them due to the fact in their city they see every night on the news gun violence and death.

Personal opinion here, yes, guns are the tools being used in the violence. However, my belief is that there are much deeper issues that needs to be addressed than if the guy has a gun in his hand. We need to be looking at everything that has happened up to the point where the guy went down on the street corner and bought a pistol to pack around and then ended up in a situation where he wants to use it.

There are major portions of both of these groups that absolutely refuse to even come close to learning about the other side and try to understand where they are coming from.

I will say two things coming from the side as a gun owner.

a) I personally think as a gun owner, I need to be part of the conversation as to finding a solution if there is any type of solution that involves the supply of the guns. I'm tired of the NRA and others just flat out blocking any idea of any solution coming from our side.

I DO want the CDC to study this with the idea of looking at not just guns (include them in the study but not just focus on them) but look at everything else around the situation in these communities where all this gun violence is happening. Sure, you can say it's poverty. However, we have had horrible poverty before in this country without people thinking they need to blow each other away with a gun. (Well, I guess minus the wild west era)

b) I am also (even more so) sick and tired of gun toting idiots prancing around acting like THEY are protecting me from some type of evil tyrannical government that is out to destroy our way of life and eat our children. What a load of BS. These people act like their IQ is about -10 and their actions actually work against trying to get people from the other side to understand their view on the issue.

Once again, one thing that I very seldom, if ever, hear mentioned in the political arena is that since 1985, violent crimes has decreased dramatically. If I were the CDC, I would start there and ask....why? Guns are still in our society just as much as in 1985. We have also just gone through a very very bad economic time. So.....why the drop? I think that would give us a very good idea of what the solution is to the rest of the violent crimes.

Sorry for the rant.

• Fire 5

You're almost up there with the guy who thinks abortion causes gun violence.

...and you (and a couple of others here) are a predisposed victim hoping that if we disarm everybody else you can hide in a sea of other victims in waiting and that would be fair. As it is now, you are voluntarily abrogating your right and duty to self defense for you and for those around you, and that no doubt impacts your self esteem and gives you a little twinge of guilt that you don't have the courage or won't make the effort to protect yourself and others.

There, enough for one night. We all have something to think about and I am sure my opinions and ideas will be valued at the same level as I hold those of the dissenting side of the debate.

The hilarious thing about this reply is you're projecting a bunch of opinions onto me that I don't have. I value some people's opinions on both sides of the argument, but I don't value yours because you make crap up and then state it as fact, over and over.

That being said, assuming I decided to not own a gun, what you said is not logical. Let's say you're standing in a crowd of 100 people and you know 1 person has to get killed by an attacker with a gun. In that case what you've said is fine. You're hoping you're lucky or that someone has a gun they can use to kill the attacker. That's not reality though. Reality is that we're not under constant attack by guns. Most people don't need them. Not because they're letting someone else save them but because they'll never been in a situation where anyone near them needs to have a gun.

Also, contrary to what you've posted, most people who want regulation just simply want it to be harder to get them. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to own guns themselves. I don't even necessarily believe in what those politicians are fighting for. I think some of it's been said here already (but you clearly haven't read any of the thread considering what you think my stance to be) but there are problems with not allowing people on the terror watch list to buy guns. Off the top of my head - it lets them know they're on the terror watch list. Kind of hard to get intelligence on someone once they've figured that out.

To the first bold - This whole thread is about opinions, even what I have stated and more importantly everything you just said. There are no facts that more gun control would do anything at all, but that doesn't stop the forum dems/libs from thinking it must be done, infringement be damned!

To the second bold - I would love to see your numbers on "most people", or are you talking about just in this thread.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/211321-poll-most-gun-owners-support-universal-background-checks

The following article lists several polls and other points.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/jan/05/laura-ingraham/laura-ingraham-say-claim-90-support-gun-background/

lol, some of the most liberal sites suggest 92% want more gun control. Flat out LIE!

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/11/02/Gallup-Most-Americans-do-not-support-gun-control/5291414975282/

This one says it is a lie, and I can find more!

Point

_____

Head

My Gallup poll is more recent then the Gallup poll in your article, so there....

edit: I'm not here to get into a pissing match about polls. I'm simply saying there was and still his an overwhelming majority of people that support a universal background check for ALL gun sales. I agree with them. I am also a hunter and believe in protecting my family. That said, I will happily wait a prerequisite amount of time to recieve my firearm. I think this is a very small price to pay; if a person "needs a gun today", it is probably a reason not to sell him/her one... Just saying.

Just to be clear, Moiraine, you want the CDC to spend money to do studies that you now say has already been done by others. Is that correct? :blink:

As for the "No fly, no buy" idea, we could hire the disgraced former head of the IRS, Lois Lerner, to administrate it She would bebringing the same lack of ethics and political debauchery to her new job as she did to the IRS checking nonprofit status of conservative groups, right?

A little earlier in this thread, you suggested one or some of us are focusing on the minutiae of gun violence. However, you have yet to address the biggest elephant in the room, much like huskerfan2000 and much like pro gun supporters nationally. More than 6, 300 Americans have died due to gun violence this year. That number will likely more than double by the end of the year. Our gun violence rates - nationally - dwarf every single other developed country out there, countries who battle the same mental health problems we do.

So, for the second time, I'll ask a simple question - what is your solution to saving lives?

100% a lie, but don't let that stop you! AND if you want to live in those countries, move to them. The countries that have less than us also have less freedoms than us.

Please explain what freedoms Australia, England and others are missing that we have.

Are you serious with his question?

I am. What are the people of Australia held back from doing? What freedoms do we have that they don't?

Here's how I see this issue. It's like so many other political issues in this country. Both sides are so full of BS that the real facts of the issues really will never be found or discussed.

First, you have two groups of people who, if you open up your mind:

a) Rural people who grew up hunting and shooting and they have never been around gun violence or anyone who they would think would be threatening with a gun. These people look at their gun ownership and flat out don't understand why someone would even think about taking them away and they look at the constitution and say.."Hey....you CAN"T take them away".

b) Mostly urban people who have NOT grown up around guns, have no clue how to handle them and honestly....are clueless as to why anyone would ever want anything to do with them due to the fact in their city they see every night on the news gun violence and death.

Personal opinion here, yes, guns are the tools being used in the violence. However, my belief is that there are much deeper issues that needs to be addressed than if the guy has a gun in his hand. We need to be looking at everything that has happened up to the point where the guy went down on the street corner and bought a pistol to pack around and then ended up in a situation where he wants to use it.

There are major portions of both of these groups that absolutely refuse to even come close to learning about the other side and try to understand where they are coming from.

I will say two things coming from the side as a gun owner.

a) I personally think as a gun owner, I need to be part of the conversation as to finding a solution if there is any type of solution that involves the supply of the guns. I'm tired of the NRA and others just flat out blocking any idea of any solution coming from our side.

I DO want the CDC to study this with the idea of looking at not just guns (include them in the study but not just focus on them) but look at everything else around the situation in these communities where all this gun violence is happening. Sure, you can say it's poverty. However, we have had horrible poverty before in this country without people thinking they need to blow each other away with a gun. (Well, I guess minus the wild west era)

b) I am also (even more so) sick and tired of gun toting idiots prancing around acting like THEY are protecting me from some type of evil tyrannical government that is out to destroy our way of life and eat our children. What a load of BS. These people act like their IQ is about -10 and their actions actually work against trying to get people from the other side to understand their view on the issue.

Once again, one thing that I very seldom, if ever, hear mentioned in the political arena is that since 1985, violent crimes has decreased dramatically. If I were the CDC, I would start there and ask....why? Guns are still in our society just as much as in 1985. We have also just gone through a very very bad economic time. So.....why the drop? I think that would give us a very good idea of what the solution is to the rest of the violent crimes.

Sorry for the rant.

This is the sort of rant that I appreciate. Thank you. Very reasonable thoughts.

Just to be clear, Moiraine, you want the CDC to spend money to do studies that you now say has already been done by others. Is that correct? :blink:

As for the "No fly, no buy" idea, we could hire the disgraced former head of the IRS, Lois Lerner, to administrate it She would bebringing the same lack of ethics and political debauchery to her new job as she did to the IRS checking nonprofit status of conservative groups, right?

A little earlier in this thread, you suggested one or some of us are focusing on the minutiae of gun violence. However, you have yet to address the biggest elephant in the room, much like huskerfan2000 and much like pro gun supporters nationally. More than 6, 300 Americans have died due to gun violence this year. That number will likely more than double by the end of the year. Our gun violence rates - nationally - dwarf every single other developed country out there, countries who battle the same mental health problems we do.

So, for the second time, I'll ask a simple question - what is your solution to saving lives?

100% a lie, but don't let that stop you! AND if you want to live in those countries, move to them. The countries that have less than us also have less freedoms than us.

Please explain what freedoms Australia, England and others are missing that we have.

I am. What are the people of Australia held back from doing? What freedoms do we have that they don't?

I can walk around Omaha without the fear of poisonous snakes and spiders????

• Fire 1

Nebraska has rattle snakes and brown recluse spiders.

How is it a lie? And please, provide a fact. I don't count Honduras, Venezuela, Swaziland, Guatemala, Jamaica, El Salvador, Colombia, Brazil, Panama and Uruguay in the same ilk as the United States, and neither do policy holders.

But, fine, I'll rephrase. Of countries on the relatively same playing field as the U.S., we have by far and away the worst gun violence rates.

Nebraska has rattle snakes and brown recluse spiders.

RzBVdHW.gif

• Fire 1

That's your reply? lol.

a) I don't believe I've said anything about the CDC, I was just refuting your post saying those states haven't done any research on guns. And b) now I will: the CDC would have far more resources to carry out nationwide research, which is what is needed. There isn't even a comparison. There are dozens/hundreds of studies that could be done on it and there is no way they're all being covered.

• Fire 2

Why is it that sane, rational people who think we don't need guns have to be labeled "leftists" or "liberals" or whatever other dismissive name comes to mind?

Why can't we just realize there are people without an agenda who understand that guns, while neat & fun & safe in the right hands, don't really have a place in a civilized society?

I understand I'm late to this party.

Yes they do. They have a place in civilized society because not everyone is civilized. Like it or not, that's a fact.

The gun is the great equalizer. It puts a 70 yr old man on equal footing with a 19 yr old gang banger. It puts a 120 lb woman on equal footing with a 200 lb rapist. I have a concealed handgun permit and I don't step outside my front door w/o packing heat. Why? Because there is evil in this world and the national average response time to a 911 call is something like 23 minutes. On top of that the police are not required to protect any of us. I choose to carry to protect my wife and daughters. It would be extremely distasteful to have to pull my weapon and use it on another human being but I refuse to let my family or myself be helpless victims.

• Fire 1